Sleepwalker Animation Commissions WIP - Dwarves

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Saurian Animation Commission WIP

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks Jetrel. I put in all the code, changed some names and tried it out. Yeah the movement speed across the field is way too fast. I also noticed the frame cycle of the sprite was also too low at 50ms so I changed it to 25. Makes it actually look more like the unit uses the ground to run on. Still looks a little dodgy without shading or ground shadow of course but I'll take care of that - and fix the SE run angle.

Perhaps the best thing would be to add another slider bar dealing with run speed, while the old one deals with the other stuff. Lots of games let you adjust different speeds to your liking. Then have it default to the 75% speed as you suggest. Code-slingers what do you say?

Here, I archived the 2 run test animations and all the recently done melee animations in one file. Following your directions regarding name changes. I bundled it with a unit cfg containing code for all of them. My suggestion for time and offset values.
Jetrel wrote::eng: Overall, though I'm extremely impressed with this! You're almost doing many of these perfectly on your first try.
Thank you very much! I do check for anything that might be wrong before I post these... And this might be my first try in wesnoth perhaps, but not in general. I've done humanoid animations before so I'd like to believe I have some idea of what I'm doing. Also I'm co-developing a platform game with my brother on and off. He does all the code, I do most of the sprites.
Attachments
sauriancollection1.rar
(298.53 KiB) Downloaded 467 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

currently, the unit stays exactly 150ms in each hex (the value 150ms is hardcoded) this can be changed, but has to stay hardcoded to whatever value we change.

I can easily change that value, but we'll have to check how that affects other animations (like the flyers)

as for making that value dynamic or tuneable, i'll have to look into it but it might be a bit tricky
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Boucman wrote:currently, the unit stays exactly 150ms in each hex (the value 150ms is hardcoded) this can be changed, but has to stay hardcoded to whatever value we change.
Let's try 110ms, for starters.
Boucman wrote:I can easily change that value, but we'll have to check how that affects other animations (like the flyers)
I believe the flyers will benefit from this as well. They, too, currently move a bit too fast, but it was more tolerable on them because they fly. Somehow aerial stuff is a little more flexible.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Ok thanks boucman. Here's all the 24 skirmisher running frames all shaded and finished. Glad to have that done but... They might have benefited more from having a more pronounced cartoonish 'bounce' from the beginning. It looks good seeing the animation here in the forums but in game it looks a bit... stiff it think.
Attachments
skirmrunSE6.gif
skirmrunSE6.gif (5.28 KiB) Viewed 6787 times
skirmrunNE7.gif
skirmrunNE7.gif (5.18 KiB) Viewed 6787 times
SkirmisherRun.rar
(104.65 KiB) Downloaded 453 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

Ok, time has been set to 110, I'll let you test it a little before documenting the change in case you don't like it and it needs some more tweaking
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

Doesn't 110 accelerate the movement (spending less time in each hex)? From earlier posts I thought the goal was to make it slower. I guess there will be a sudden desire to change the time to 190 very shortly.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

@Sleepwalker: at the very apex (by which I mean furthest out, not highest) of the "arm swing", I think the spear juts out just a bit too far.

What you should be doing in these arm swings is having the arms remain in a crooked/bent position the whole time, but having them rotate with the torso. You are mostly doing this already, so this is an easy fix. What you're doing wrong is that in just a couple frames there, the arms "straighten out" - it's as if he's sticking the spear out to his side, as far as he can hold it.

Since this is entirely my fault for not pointing out on your earlier blocking post, which it was present in as well, I'll take a look at tweaking it, rather than you - I'd like you to move on, rather than going over this animation again. However, keep this in mind when tackling other units.
Alarantalara wrote:Doesn't 110 accelerate the movement (spending less time in each hex)? From earlier posts I thought the goal was to make it slower. I guess there will be a sudden desire to change the time to 190 very shortly.
:augh: Yes, apparently I'm [censored]. You're absolutely right. I went and multiplied 0.75 * 150. Whereas what I really wanted to do was solve 75/100=150/x for x.

Ergo, 200ms would be better.

@Boucman: Sorry about about that.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

and done :)

it's set to 200 in svn, tell me if it's good and i'll update the wiki
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Boucman wrote:and done :)

it's set to 200 in svn, tell me if it's good and i'll update the wiki
I'll have to ask ben (penguin) for a custom build, but given that he's got the whole toolchain set up (he's our normal mac packager), that should be trivial for him to provide.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

IIRC eleazar is a mac user too...

it would be cool if you passed that build along so he can use the svn (there has been a slight change in the c++ side which have moved the responsability of adding the .png extension from c++ to WML and means you now need a trunk build to use trunk terrains)
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I got a design question for you Jet. I was going to do the NE bobbing anim for the augur and soothsayer when I noticed you never see in any of the existing sprites if they have a second shoulder pad or not... Some frames seems to suggest they do not. Not a big deal maybe but I'd like to know if we go with one or two pads.
Attachments
augurbob4.gif
augurbob4.gif (2.86 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
soothaugur.png
soothaugur.png (9.17 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
soothsayerBob.gif
soothsayerBob.gif (3.02 KiB) Viewed 6604 times
SoothsayerSeBob.rar
(28.14 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
AugurSeBob.rar
(27.42 KiB) Downloaded 436 times
- Nercy Masayon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'm fine with two shoulderpads. It helps simplify mirroring issues.

@Boucman: noted.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Spear tossing coming up.

Oh and thanks for taking care of the running jetryl. :)
Attachments
skirmisher-se-throw.gif
skirmisher-se-throw.gif (3.84 KiB) Viewed 6393 times
skirmisher-ne-throw.gif
skirmisher-ne-throw.gif (3.96 KiB) Viewed 6393 times
SkirmisherThrow.rar
(70.86 KiB) Downloaded 460 times
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Augur and Soothsayer NE Bob... Nothing to say really except that I'm pleased with the way the cloth swings around on these ones, though the soothsayer could maybe use a liittle more cleanup. Moving on.
Attachments
soothsayer-ne-bob.gif
soothsayer-ne-bob.gif (3.38 KiB) Viewed 6284 times
SoothsayerNeBob.rar
(27.8 KiB) Downloaded 475 times
augur-ne-bob.gif
augur-ne-bob.gif (2.75 KiB) Viewed 6284 times
AugurNeBob.rar
(25.97 KiB) Downloaded 456 times
- Nercy Masayon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sleepwalker wrote:Spear tossing coming up.

Oh and thanks for taking care of the running jetryl. :)
Everyone should take special note of this spear-toss animation. This is exactly the level of exaggeration we need.