Sleepwalker Animation Commissions WIP - Dwarves

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Re: Saurian Animation Commission WIP

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks, I do have lots of free time right now. :)

I'll see to the spear swing, but for now, here's the current ones archived. (you would think photoshop would have a function to save each frame in the animation window as a png, but nooo, have to do each one manually) Nope, sorry no WML. I'm checking out the animation wiki right now though. :)

OK, I put in your changes on the tail. thanks
Attachments
SkirmisherRun.rar
(46.98 KiB) Downloaded 523 times
SkirmisherNERun.rar
(46.32 KiB) Downloaded 518 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Ambusher Bobbing. I made a small edit to the baseframe adding some missing shadow. Both baseframes are in their respective archive.

EDIT: Flanker NE baseframe.

...Edit again. Spines mucho improved.
Attachments
flanker-ne.png
flanker-ne.png (4.79 KiB) Viewed 7274 times
ambusherNEBob1.gif
ambusherNEBob1.gif (3.21 KiB) Viewed 7296 times
ambusherBob1.gif
ambusherBob1.gif (3.88 KiB) Viewed 7296 times
ambusherNEBob.rar
(27.41 KiB) Downloaded 513 times
ambusherBob.rar
(29.13 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Aaand some attack frames... Took a little longer than i thought. I redid the attack frames from scratch as i didn't like the way he switched hand positions on the spear.
Attachments
skirmisherattack.gif
skirmisherattack.gif (3.95 KiB) Viewed 7180 times
skirmisherattack-s.gif
skirmisherattack-s.gif (3.83 KiB) Viewed 7180 times
SkirmisherAttackS.rar
(34.92 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
SkirmisherAttack.rar
(35.86 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
- Nercy Masayon
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Looking very good, but the motion blur isn't quite like the new spear animations. I guess it's up to you and Jet which one you go for. That aside, you're doing a fantastic job :)
Included because I can never find it myself
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Believe it or not I actually based the motion blur on the drake thrashers, though a little toned down. Not sure why you think it's different, maybe because of the speed :o . Yeah we'll see what Jetrel says. And thanks. :)
- Nercy Masayon
Cloud
Art Contributor

Post by Cloud »

Hmm... it might be because it doesn't it doesn't splash out quite as much as some of the other ones.
Softly/SoftlySplinter on IRC. Will be lurking around more these days
Mainline Animations|The Væringjar
Art for these mead-sodden, bearded mushroom-junkies by Girgistian!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

I think I fixed all the mentioned issues with the run animation now... looks much better. :)

I tried making the augur's bob animation more subtle than the skirmisher line. I think of the skirmishers as very energetic while a spellcaster should have more reserved movements. I don't know about you but I think it might get annoying if every unit in the future wesnoth bounces around as much as the skirmishers. And that's saying something, I mean, they only move around a couple of pixel's so It's going to be a little hard getting good subtle bobs. Had to do lots of subpixel movement in the augur one.

Oh yeah had to do minuscule alterations on the augur baseframe to allow for the animation.
Attachments
skirmrunSE5.gif
skirmrunSE5.gif (3.23 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
skirmrunNE6.gif
skirmrunNE6.gif (3.81 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
augurBob1.gif
augurBob1.gif (2.69 KiB) Viewed 7059 times
AugurBob.rar
(27.39 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
- Nercy Masayon
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I've been enjoying these new animations a lot.
There's one thing that bothers me about the augur's bob however. While the bottom of the staff is clearly rotating, the top does not change orientation at all, it slides. I've added a centreline to your animation to illustrate.
Attachments
augurBob1.gif
augurBob1.gif (2.73 KiB) Viewed 6957 times
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Hmm it wasn't really my intention for it to rotate. Just wiggle back and forth. Well I did as you said anyway I think. Is this what you meant?

Here's the NE attack anyway, N to go, then throw...
Attachments
skirmisherattack-ne.gif
skirmisherattack-ne.gif (4.95 KiB) Viewed 6858 times
skirmisher-ne-attack.rar
(66.2 KiB) Downloaded 472 times
augurBob2.gif
augurBob2.gif (2.7 KiB) Viewed 6858 times
AugurBob2.rar
(27.37 KiB) Downloaded 486 times
- Nercy Masayon
Alarantalara
Art Contributor

Post by Alarantalara »

I meant that the angle the staff makes with the ground changes (since the bottom does not move but the top does) but the orientation of the top of the staff remains vertical, which makes it look like the staff bends. I was thinking of something more like this, though the perceived angle is somewhat off in this too.
Attachments
augurBob1-1.gif
augurBob1-1.gif (2.73 KiB) Viewed 6825 times
rhyging5
Art Contributor

Post by rhyging5 »

congratulations for your work! continue with this quality!
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sleepwalker wrote:Believe it or not I actually based the motion blur on the drake thrashers, though a little toned down. Not sure why you think it's different, maybe because of the speed :o . Yeah we'll see what Jetrel says. And thanks. :)
Looks fine to me.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Jetrel wrote:Looks fine to me.
What about the run animation? does it look good in game. Should I shade it?

Alarantalara: Oh, I'm not sure that that small an angle could be done at this pixellated scale. Not convincingly anyway. I'd rather keep it as it is unless someone else objects. Did some other edits anyway, for better or worse I'm not sure. North attack is done anyway.

rhyging5: Thanks I'll try. :)
Attachments
SkirmisherAttackN.rar
(41.7 KiB) Downloaded 506 times
skirmisherattack-n.gif
skirmisherattack-n.gif (4.68 KiB) Viewed 6687 times
augurbob4.gif
augurbob4.gif (2.86 KiB) Viewed 6687 times
augurbob3.gif
augurbob3.gif (2.69 KiB) Viewed 6687 times
- Nercy Masayon
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Okay. Here's the code to do the animations - just paste this into your file at ~/data/core/units/saurians/Skirmisher.cfg at line 40 or so to see it in game.
Spoiler:
My immediate reaction is that the engine moves the unit way, way too fast. Specifically, the speed should be about 65% of the current speed. I have no qualms with dictating that we globally slow that down - if people don't like it, that's why we have quite a few variants of "accelerated speed". But we absolutely need good defaults for the people who DO care about the art being presented well.

We've got two camps; those who want nice presentation, and those who want the game to progress as fast as possible. We already serve the second just fine, because they can basically just turn of all animation in the game, but we need to ensure we're not shortchanging the former.

To preview stuff in game and not have it look horrendous, set the "accelerated speed", which is also able to decelerate, to either 50% or 75%, those respectively being "a little too slow/fast", but both closer than 100%. Obviously this "accelerated speed" thing screws with all the other animations, so it's not a long-term solution, but it's fine for testing.

As for the actual content of the animation itself: it looks pretty close to 'solid'. I should note that shadows go a long way towards judging this, so I'm not 100% yet, but I think it's fairly good.

The NE animation looks fine.
The SE animation *might* be leaning a little ways to the east - I might suggest moving the "footfalls" a pixel or so to our right, without shifting the rest of the unit, to try and tweak that. I'm not sure about this, this is just a hunch, but the only way to know is to tweak that.

:eng: Overall, though I'm extremely impressed with this! You're almost doing many of these perfectly on your first try.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Hell, here's a file with the standing animations as well.

Note - please duplicate the base frame as part of the numbered sequence of images in the "bob" animation, when you post archives of the animations.

As part of the move to animated standing frames, we're moving away from having regular base frames - the "base frame" is really just going to be a frame from the bob animation flagged in the WML.

Like so:

Code: Select all

[unit_type]
    id=Saurian Skirmisher
    name= _ "Saurian Skirmisher"
    race=lizard
    image="units/saurians/skirmisher-se-bob1.png"
    ellipse="misc/ellipse"
Here is a file of the entire unit, with both the bob and run animations in it. You'll need to change those bob frame names to accommodate it.
Spoiler:

I'm also starting to think 75% speed might be acceptable. Hard to say.

We also need a slight tweak to the algorithm that decides facing. If a unit is running on a general SW facing for most of his animation, he should not momentarily flip E during the segment where he runs directly S.