Sleepwalker Animation Commissions WIP - Dwarves

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Re: Sleepwalker Animation Commissions WIP - Dwarves

Post by Jetrel »

Yeah, that fix is fine. Also I like what you did with better-rendering on the axe.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Goodie :)

Here's the wrapping up of the steelclad, just the last of the Lord to go.

I made some small edits to the current SE defend animations; fixing the boots among other stuff.
Attachments
steelclad-ne-hammer.gif
steelclad-ne-hammer.gif (11.88 KiB) Viewed 18650 times
steelclad-defend.gif
steelclad-defend.gif (12.27 KiB) Viewed 18650 times
steelcladHammer+Def.rar
(123.86 KiB) Downloaded 826 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

So, back from some family time during the holidays I've finished up the Lord. That completes the fighter line. :D

I found out that my previously uploaded completed fighter archive was not that complete. There were some missing macros and stuff... I think I have rectified that this time. Running and defending against ranged attacks will play correctly.

I edited some of the old SE animations a bit, adding a frame to the hammer and ranged attack, changing boots etc. The cape movement on the hammer was a big eyesore so I made it nicer- though not on quite the same level as the ones I made from scratch.

All 3 units graphics and WML are bundled together now. For manual install on your wesnoth copy: Backup if you want, then unrar it into your wesnoth folder. You should delete the old sprites as most have been renamed anyway and would just clutter the folder. I have tested it all and it works for me.

animation-utils.cfg has the added macro DEFENSE_ANIM_DIRECTIONAL_FILTERED

animation-utils2.cfg has the added macro MOVING_ANIM_DIRECTIONAL_10_FRAME BASE_IMAGE_NAME
Attachments
DwarfFighterLine.rar
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 802 times
lord-ranged.gif
lord-ranged.gif (12.42 KiB) Viewed 18423 times
lord-hammer.gif
lord-hammer.gif (13.25 KiB) Viewed 18423 times
lord-defend.gif
lord-defend.gif (19.48 KiB) Viewed 18423 times
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Next up is the thunderer line... I made some changes to the baseframes - tweaks to legs for all, tweaking gun muzzles for lvl1 & 2 and overall improvement to lvl 2's rendering. This is without changing any design, except for a small addition of a stand for lvl 3's gun. Hope this is all OK.

A thing I notice when looking closer to the sprites is that the gun angle when shooting SE and NE is a bit off. Not a big deal, it's not very noticeable in-game, partly I think because opposed to the gun, the muzzle flash effect is drawn with the right angle. But now I am going to animate this (lowering gun, recoil) so I'd like to fix such things. I would want to change the shooting frames anyway as the current frames used are swapping hands for the gun.

What is your first impression of the NE thunderer? I felt like I needed to add something to the back of the unit or would look plan and very... unbalanced composition wise. The belt attachments are supposed to be the gunpowder canisters as in the portraits.
Attachments
Thundererline2.png
Thundererline2.png (25.46 KiB) Viewed 18257 times
- Nercy Masayon
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks great to me. The rendering on the cloak of the Dragonguard rear in particular is lovely.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Here's some progress on the thunderer.
Attachments
thunderer-ranged-se.gif
thunderer-ranged-se.gif (33.3 KiB) Viewed 18105 times
ThundRangedSE.rar
(38.77 KiB) Downloaded 804 times
- Nercy Masayon
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

That makes it look like a much more powerful attack. Nice.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Thanks, though I think it could use a bit more work, like this: One added recoil frame and stronger light effect. Now I'm happy. :D
Attachments
ThundRangedSE2.rar
(43.09 KiB) Downloaded 843 times
thunderer-ranged2.gif
thunderer-ranged2.gif (33.8 KiB) Viewed 18032 times
- Nercy Masayon
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Something bugs me in the sprite turned NE. His legs are positioned the way that suggest me the rest of body should aim east. I'v got an impression that in NE position the hind leg of thundered should obscure more the forward leg.
The animation of SE thunderer looks impressive to me.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Yeah the legs were spaced a bit different it's true, but not unnaturally or uncomfortably so I believe. I made some corrections anyhow.

Finished the rest of the directions.

EDIT: Fixed a thing.
Attachments
ThundRanged.rar
(160.45 KiB) Downloaded 991 times
thunderer-ranged.gif
thunderer-ranged.gif (21.17 KiB) Viewed 17926 times
- Nercy Masayon
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

V. nice.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Good, thanks.

I realized is misnamed the sprites :roll: so here are the correctly named ones along with a running animation. I also changed a frame a little for n and s shooting.
Attachments
thundererrun.gif
thundererrun.gif (8.9 KiB) Viewed 17780 times
thundRangedRun.rar
(245.58 KiB) Downloaded 831 times
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Alright, the thunderer is tested and complete!

Some of it's WML relies on the macros I made for the fighter line, which are included. I also changed the muzzle flash macros a bit to make both the flash and fizzle line up properly with the gun. Any UMC units using the muzzle flash animation will need to add two numbers (x,y position) to the end of the miss macro to the units.

I changed the existing defend animations and heavily edited the blade attack, adding frames.

EDIT: I made some more edits to the unit cfg... Improving the timing of shooting and fixing a new engine quirk I discovered. (The last frame in an animation will freeze for as long as the halo effect is still playing.)
Attachments
Thunderer.cfg
(19.11 KiB) Downloaded 832 times
thunderer-defend.gif
thunderer-defend.gif (9.25 KiB) Viewed 17692 times
thunderer-bob.gif
thunderer-bob.gif (8.37 KiB) Viewed 17692 times
thunderer-blade.gif
thunderer-blade.gif (10.56 KiB) Viewed 17692 times
thunderer.rar
(429.59 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Moving on to the thunderguard... I want to make each level up to show that they have a more powerful gun so the recoil is quite stronger now. I haven't made a light effect yet.

I was thinking of giving the gun a smoke trail too after firing for all 3 levels.
Attachments
thunderguard-ranged.gif
thunderguard-ranged.gif (41.9 KiB) Viewed 17338 times
- Nercy Masayon
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Blam

When I do the dragonguard I'll try to avoid making it ridiculous.
Attachments
blam
blam
thunderguard-ranged2.gif (28.16 KiB) Viewed 17236 times
thunderguardRanged.rar
(215.54 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
- Nercy Masayon