Orc Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Orc Portrait Series

Post by LordBob »

Quick work in progress for the slayer. He's almost done, mostly the hands remain to paint.
Attachments
orc_slayer.png
orc_slayer.png (181.57 KiB) Viewed 9802 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Monroid

Post by Monroid »

Could there be some blood on the kamas as well? I think it would bring more details to the image, and since he's got spilled blood on his thigh...

I reckon I've gone too far with my commenting; it's Bob's art and I souldn't be putting my "opinion" into it

Sorry guys, it won't happen again :oops:
Last edited by Monroid on June 27th, 2010, 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
scienceguy8

Post by scienceguy8 »

Monroid wrote:Could there be some blood on the kamas as well? I think it would bring more details to the image, and since he's got spilled blood on his thigh... :)
The Wesnoth Art Department has this thing about buckets 'o blood (specifically, a big, fat, no). I say the portrait is just fine as it is (after it has been shaded, of course). Besides which, I imagine the assassin would clean his blades immediately after a kill, possibly on his own pant leg, explaining the small, not that gruesome patch of red on his thigh.
"You can't kill an unarmed, upside down man!"
Dr. Rodney McKay
Stargate Atlantis
Runner

Gilberti Industries
scienceguy8
Proud Member of the Marching Salukis
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Given that LordBob is one of our Portrait Directors, I am sure he is capable of weighing the appropriate amount of blood for Wesnoth.

However, leaving that topic behind (unless you are an Art Director please), I really am glad to see that the Slayer portrait is progressing so nicely and almost finished. 8) I can perfectly visualize this with a sinister caption underneath, like: "You're next."
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Finished the Slayer.
Blood stains will remain as they are : I prefer the kamas as a light focus rather than a gory tool

Next, the remaining two levels of the archer line, and after that the orcs will be done I think (maybe the orcish leader still lacks a portrait, though)
Attachments
orc_slayer.png
orc_slayer.png (178.77 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
orc_slayer_small.png
orc_slayer_small.png (41.53 KiB) Viewed 9612 times
Fog

Post by Fog »

Is it just the black background fooling my eyes, or is the orc_slayer_small.png more saturated than the orc_slayer.png? It looks like the one at the top of this page. You should tone it down, he's on the border of a radioactive glow right now.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Fog is right, I did desaturate the large version of the slayer. I had hoped this would go unnoticed with the black background, but you got me ! I owe you people a revised small slayer before it can be committed.

In the meantime, I didn't remain asleep and started the crossbowman and slurbow. (well, more than "started" actually. I'd like to think they're done, but this is up to whatever comments you people might have :wink: )
Attachments
orc_crossbowman.png
orc_crossbowman.png (194.57 KiB) Viewed 9364 times
orc_crossbowman_small.png
orc_crossbowman_small.png (47.57 KiB) Viewed 9364 times
Last edited by LordBob on July 7th, 2010, 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

And the slurbow
Attachments
orc_slurbow.png
orc_slurbow.png (226.86 KiB) Viewed 9363 times
orc_slurbow_small.png
orc_slurbow_small.png (52.54 KiB) Viewed 9363 times
SFault

Post by SFault »

That looks more like firecrackers than fire.

e.g.
segmentation fault
EBfW, GtR, Art, Old art
artisticdude
Moderator Emeritus

Post by artisticdude »

:D Great work (as usual :wink: )! If I were to nitpick about something, it would be that the slurbow's crossbow has two gears that don't seem to have any purpose, as though they were just stuck there for ornamentation. Of course, I know very little of crossbow mechanics, but don't they usually have some sort of winding mechanism at the butt? I'm guessing that's what the gears are for, but there are no handles or anything for the person winding the weapon to grip. And I think the fire on the slurbow's quarrel looks a bit like what happens when you light a firecracker... the fizzling, sparking kind of fire. Just my two cents. :)
"I'm never wrong. One time I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken."
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

The end of the stock of the crossbowman's crossbow looks kinda odd. The wood grain texture and the lighter color are in a strange contrast with stuff around it, causing the eye to wander right over to it. I also think that something in the hands of an orc wouldn't stay that clean and shiny for very long. :P
Fog

Post by Fog »

I would prefer him w/o the fire. The crossbowman does not walk around with his wooden crossbow that close to be lit on fire, I would presume that the orc would light the arrow just before he fires it. And that arouses another problem; how does the metal tip stay on fire? Wouldn't the tip be more like a torch considering it is a arrow to be in flames? Wait, now I see something... Is the bundle of cord behind the arrow lit? Int that case the fire should not be all over like that.

Everything else seems alright though! Good job.
Ecce, in caelo! Est avem! Minime, est vehiculum aerem! Minime, est virum Latinum!
boru

Post by boru »

From a nonartist's point-of-view, so take with a grain of salt if you please.

The crossbowman portrait lacks a lot of the detail in the slurbow (and in most BFW portraits). Overall, it looks unfinished, although I do like the composition and the character and he could be a really excellent portrait. But this version looks rushed.
“It is written in my life-blood, such as that is, thick or thin; and I can no other.” - J.R.R. Tolkien

My campaign: Swamplings - Four centuries before the founding of Wesnoth, the first wolf rider emerges from a tribe of lowly swamp goblins.
Fog

Post by Fog »

Although that was a bit exageratted, there are some spots that could some work; exempli gratia: the cloth on his wrist, the butt of the crossbow, the arrows, and his pants.
AtemTheLightning

Post by AtemTheLightning »

Some fire is on the Slurbow.