Orc Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Orc Portrait Series

Post by thespaceinvader »

Committed those two grunt alts :)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Grunt #4 is done.

TSI : here's how I'd like these portraits to serve. Can you please take care of it with the next commitment ?

- Grunt #2 --> Default L1 portrait + unit dictionnary
- Grunt #4 --> Default L2 portrait + unit dictionnary
- Grunts #1 & 3 --> Trunk spares (#1 is the first grunt portrait I posted months ago) - Replaces the current "Warlord" dialog portraits in the trunk.
Attachments
orc_grunt_4.png
orc_grunt_4.png (210.82 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
orc_grunt_4_small.png
orc_grunt_4_small.png (51.49 KiB) Viewed 5407 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Wow, I think that last one is the best of all. I really like the level of detail (like on the belt buckle and clasp) and the use of color/lighting. I'm glad our orcs will be getting these nice portraits. 8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Zerovirus
Art Contributor

Post by Zerovirus »

Are you sure this shouldn't be an Orcish Sovereign or something more high-level? It certainly looks cool enough to fit the role. Cooler than a Grunt should be in fact.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Zerovirus wrote:Are you sure this shouldn't be an Orcish Sovereign or something more high-level? It certainly looks cool enough to fit the role. Cooler than a Grunt should be in fact.
LordBob wrote:Grunt #4 is done.
TSI : here's how I'd like these portraits to serve. Can you please take care of it with the next commitment ?
<snip>
- Grunt #4 --> Default L2 portrait + unit dictionnary
Please read the post that images are attached to before commenting on them. :wink:

Another great portrait, LordBob - extremely menacing, while beautifully capturing the Orcish theme worked out by Jetrel and Girgistian. Given the prevalence of Orcs as antagonists, Wesnoth is really going to benefit from these new portraits.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Crunchy

Post by Crunchy »

I just want to say well done sir. You (speaking to all portrait artists) continually knock my socks off. I can't wait to see these in action 8)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Bob: I'll make those changes this weekend.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Thanks a lot, man.

In the meantime, I'm almost done ith Grunt #5. What's left is mostly tweaks with line colours.

Once he's done, I'll do the Assassin and hopefully they should all make it in 1.8
Attachments
orc_grunt_5.png
orc_grunt_5.png (182.99 KiB) Viewed 4922 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

The only thing about any of these which bothers me a bit: something about #5's eyes make him look very sleepy. I'm guessing the intention is for him to have somewhat slanted eyes, but I think at least currently they look more like half-closed.
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

zookeeper wrote:The only thing about any of these which bothers me a bit: something about #5's eyes make him look very sleepy. I'm guessing the intention is for him to have somewhat slanted eyes, but I think at least currently they look more like half-closed.
Seconded. This would change if you opened up his upper lids a little more and closed the lower ones instead - it might also give a bit of a feral look as well :D . Btw, among other things, I'm really liking how the perspective works with the sword-arm here. Cool stuff.
For the dark gods!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

#4 is one of your best portraits for Wesnoth yet, to my mind! Awesome lighting and I love the reflections on the metal - great stuff!
(If I were searching for something to nitpick, I'd say that the eyes seem a tad far apart, but that's not really worth changing.)

#5 seems a bit flat at this stage, he's only midtone and darks - he could use some more light areas generally while the core shadow of his head could stand to be darker. Somehow I totally adore the visible tendrils of his hand! :)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I think you mean tendons, not tendrils ;)
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Yeah, of course: I love the tendons!

(And please continue to point out my mistakes, it will help me to improve my english! thanks!)
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The top of his sword looks a bit flat and parallel to the screen.

I gather from corresponding shades elsewhere that the blue line on the sword is a reflection from a blue lightsource, but it looks a bit off.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Grunt #5 should now have a better sword and additional highlights. He's finished as far as I'm concerned
Attachments
orc_grunt_5.png