Orc Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: Orc Portrait Series

Post by kitty »

You're really productive lately! :D

I'm loving the grunts' attitudes. Only tiny thing bothering me is no 5's ear shape, somehow they seem too elegant to me.

The new slayer's mask is awesome - do I detect some east asian influences? And the assassin flats look nice and clean! Just make sure to add in enough dirt and flith when shading! I'm not sure about the face scarf's angle/direction - I'd expect it to curve up a bit when following his muzzle's shape.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Heh, three things behind that :
- I switched back from graphic tablet drawing to scanned sketchbook. Turns out I'm really a lot more at ease and a ton faster when drawing on paper
- I reaaaaaaalllllly enjoy working on something different from the loys
- I've only done the 'quick' part of the portraits yet (and I'm wondering if it ain't time that I find myself a sidekick to do the shading :idea: )

And yes, there are influences behind the mask, but not only asian : I recently visited the Quai Branly museum and as you can imagine, their collections are a refreshing source of inspiration next to the mass of western european medieval stuff I went over for the loys.

#5 will get some ear torture and the Assassin's muzzle has been corrected. Plus, Slayer flats
Attachments
orc_slayer.png
orc_slayer.png (92 KiB) Viewed 6542 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

i didn't see your inspiration, but somehow i dont see the reddish colour fitting the mask. Maybe if it was some warriors demon mask, but not for a stealthy assasin type
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

gosh, this mask is great! More freedom to the artists! Only serious crit! WINR!

my 2 pence (and no offence to anybody)

(imho same thing to kittys brilliant shadow and the blade discussion http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 09#p383409)
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

I'm all for the red mask.
It may be a derivation from the sprite but not a radial one and moreover in this case it tells us much about orcish culture. I immediately start associationg belief in demons and spirits, orc children stories about demon's comming for you out of the dark if you don't eat up, a historical connection between orc shamans and the poison the assassins use, tales the loyalists and elves whisper about an evil sprite with a red face comming out of the dark and going after the sleeping and the like. If a detail like this mask is able to convey that much we should most definitely keep it and strive to get to this level with all our work.
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

StDrake wrote:i didn't see your inspiration, but somehow i dont see the reddish colour fitting the mask. Maybe if it was some warriors demon mask, but not for a stealthy assasin type
Have a second look at the image.
The slayer has some kind of hood.
If in stealth mode he would cover the red mask under the hood.
If in combat the mask is revealed to scare the enemy.

:P
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

arighty :) i iz convinced
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

StDrake wrote:i didn't see your inspiration, but somehow i dont see the reddish colour fitting the mask. Maybe if it was some warriors demon mask, but not for a stealthy assasin type
Precisely, I did have a sort of demon mask in mind : many cultures on Earth dress their warriors in fearsome fashions - think of the war masks of samurais. And in addition to what Kitty said, even in game terms orcish slayers don't have any stealth-related abilities. No ambush, no skirmish, no backstab...They're all about being untouchable, deadly skill and poison. So I find perfectly normal that they would use artifacts that make their enemies fear them.

In the meantime, final lineart and flats for grunt #6
Attachments
orc_grunt_6.png
orc_grunt_6.png (126.3 KiB) Viewed 6124 times
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Your final flats have no hair color outside the skin tone--is this intentional?
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

It is. This is because the hair and skin share a single layer - it's easier to use only one colour for flats and draw the hair afterwards.
Antonius

Post by Antonius »

I'm a bit late to talk about the slayer, but his pick-axe-dagger is an awsome weapon! I am curious as to what your reference is.
My computer just got back to me with a new hardrive...
Do you know the magic word,
Seldom seen and often heard?
kyi_the_bard

Post by kyi_the_bard »

It appears to be a Kama.
Meow
Antonius

Post by Antonius »

Oh, so a microsickle. Interesting..
My computer just got back to me with a new hardrive...
Do you know the magic word,
Seldom seen and often heard?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

LordBob wrote: Precisely, I did have a sort of demon mask in mind : many cultures on Earth dress their warriors in fearsome fashions - think of the war masks of samurais. And in addition to what Kitty said, even in game terms orcish slayers don't have any stealth-related abilities. No ambush, no skirmish, no backstab...They're all about being untouchable, deadly skill and poison. So I find perfectly normal that they would use artifacts that make their enemies fear them.
I agree with you on that. The "Slayer" wants to be known and feared, as indicated by the name of his profession, and in keeping with his orcish nature. I like the mask because it makes a nice differentiation from the human assassin line. At first I was a little worried that it would look too much like an undead unit, but as the portrait is shaping up it looks like that won't be a problem.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

More orc lineart, with grunts #7 (close to final) and #8 (still working on him). These guys are the last I'm gonna draw for the Grunt line : they're the two Warlord candidates.
Partly following Jet's advice, I visually translated their lordly manner in scavenged steel armour, spikes and (not yet visible) richer cloth for their capes. As well as the largest cleaver any orc's ever gonna sport ! :twisted:
Attachments
orc_grunt_7.png
orc_grunt_7.png (81.07 KiB) Viewed 5715 times
orc_grunt_8.png
orc_grunt_8.png (104.79 KiB) Viewed 5715 times