Kitty's Merfolk: Finished

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Re: Kitty's Merfolk: Merman Netcaster

Post by grzywacz »

His mustache is awesome! :D
Gauteamus
Translator

Post by Gauteamus »

Great portrait - I really like his moustache and face expression on a whole.

I hope the net on his left hip will stand more out abit more in the final version - on one hand I think it works fine that the club is the focal weapon in the image, and that you have to look abit more around for the net "signature" weapon. On the other hand I did not see it until my third peek. Some ideas: maybe colour it in reddish brown tones - some RL fishing nets I have seen are surprisingly red in colour, probably as a trying to blend it in with brown seaweeds combined with the fact that red light frequencies are the first ones filtered out in water. Most of the nets I have used have small floaters on one side, and small weights on the other to make the net stand up straight in the water - maybe this could be used to make the net more visible. Of course his net is possibly a throwing net, without the need for stabilization floaters, as opposed to the fire-and-forget nets I have been using (or rather: fire-and-hopefully-pick-up-way-too-early-the-next-morning)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Even a thrown net would probably have some weights to make it spread properly. I wonder if you wouldn't be better to have him holding the net in his free hand rather than just sort of hovering the free hand vaguely in front of him...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

You should add some decorations to the club, romans liked carved stuff too.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/julio-clau ... 131593239/
Something more sea-themed or just some algae/plat like will be perfect.
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

love it!
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Wow - lots of comments this time!
I hope I adressed most of them by now, shading is still not finished - I'll take care of the tail and club and various little details tomorrow.
Attachments
netcaster02.png
netcaster02.png (194.38 KiB) Viewed 7007 times
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

The club looks a little large to be one-handed, but the handle is too short to fully fit the other hand on there.
lostnumber

Post by lostnumber »

AI wrote:The club looks a little large to be one-handed, but the handle is too short to fully fit the other hand on there.
its made of wood and there is a bunch of empty space in the middle. I dont think it would be overly heavy for a skilled warrior

kitty: Thumb looks fine now :D

I do think if you wanted to make the net more prominent somehow that wouldn't hurt. Like an above poster, I didnt see it at first. In fact until this revision I didn't even realize you were doing netcaster!

Now that you've shaded I see the net, but it could be featured more prominently maybe considering its his main weapon and what he is named after.

Just thoughts though, maybe that would be too much work
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

lostnumber wrote:
AI wrote:The club looks a little large to be one-handed, but the handle is too short to fully fit the other hand on there.
its made of wood and there is a bunch of empty space in the middle. I dont think it would be overly heavy for a skilled warrior
Yes, that's a ridiculous crit, because it looks to easily have much less weight than a gladius. And those clearly work just fine. It's fine as is in the picture.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
PsychoticKittens

Post by PsychoticKittens »

is it just me, or is the extension of his tail in the background in an uncomfortable position?

like, his torso is facing kind of <--

but the tail is on that side, with the dorsal (top or whatever) showing. so that'd be like the sprite of the merman having its tail by its side, instead of going behind it, in which case the underbelly would be facing us. But his waist's underbelly is also straight out and facing the same direction as his torso. How long are these guys? I'd think it'd need a decent bit more tail to twist it back like that.

I might just be crazy. I don't know the skeletal system of a fish, or fish people either. Just struck me, so I thought I'd throw it out there since I didn't see anyone else talk about it.
Creator of: Mercenaries Era; Modern Combat
Future Projects: Faunima: Land of Monsters
Temporarily Dropped Projects: Zombie Horde
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

lostnumber wrote:I do think if you wanted to make the net more prominent somehow that wouldn't hurt. (...) maybe that would be too much work
I think thats a good point. A net that is made for fighting would be quite huge in my opinion. In the picture the net is hidden, but it gives a more small impression.
This guy here carrys the net over his shoulder: http://www.ruestungsschmiede.de/assets/ ... atoren.jpg
Or maybe the net could stay where it is, but he collects it a bit with HIS left hand...

Not sure if the point is valid enough to do all the work though... good pic after all!
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
fabi
Inactive Developer

Post by fabi »

Why are there shark teeth on one of the inner sides of the sword but not on the other?
What purpose do the teeth have on the inner side?
The image from which kitty got the inspiration from doesn't have them.

Nice image anyway :-)
melinath

Post by melinath »

Nice job on making the net more visible.

About the writing: very pretty, but towards the hand it seems to stop following the shape of the club/be facing us more than it ought to.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Sized up the net a tad, changed the tail's direction and painted it, etc. - he should be finished now.

Last of the merfolk - yay! And only three more portraits for WSAS ahead, seems as if I could get it really done. I'm so sick of wesnoth right now...
Attachments
netcaster03.png
netcaster03.png (249.1 KiB) Viewed 6640 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks great =)

Small version?
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.