Kitty's Merfolk: Finished

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Kitty's Merpeople

Post by beetlenaut »

Oh wow, oh wow! This makes me very happy.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Fin versions for the priestress/diviner, reshaded the hand according to lordbob's advice and shortened the staff - thanks for all your input, I'm starting to like this decision.
Next one will be the fighter/warrior, but that will probably have to wait till thursday.

Thespaceinvader: Please don't commit the diviner and siren, yet. Jetrel was planning to do some colour variations on the sprites in the next days and I'll need to see if I'll have to change some of my colours according to that.
Attachments
priestess_diviner03.png
priestess_diviner03.png (225.96 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
priestess_diviner_bg.png
priestess_diviner_bg.png (53.85 KiB) Viewed 7425 times
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

Great work! :)

The diviner made me remember the female dark sorcerer (or was it some other dark magicky chick?) that has more or less the same pose. I can just imagine both female DS and diviner talking in a dialog at the same time. Both just staring and talking to their staves. :D
"What's up with those two - are they mad at me or something?"
kitty

Post by kitty »

The diviner made me remember the female dark sorcerer (or was it some other dark magicky chick?) that has more or less the same pose. I can just imagine both female DS and diviner talking in a dialog at the same time. Both just staring and talking to their staves. :D
Ha! I was waiting if somebody would notice it. I didn't do it on purpose but I saw the similarity after I had finished the diviner's lines and liked her too much to start all over again. Perhaps I'm slowly running out of portrait poses?! :shock:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I ran out AGES ago - it's very difficult to find unique poses any more without making them look too aggressive.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

kitty wrote:
Ha! I was waiting if somebody would notice it. I didn't do it on purpose but I saw the similarity after I had finished the diviner's lines and liked her too much to start all over again. Perhaps I'm slowly running out of portrait poses?! :shock:
I think that it's just fine if you use the same pose once in every 50 portraits. :P
There's only so many ways one can arrange herself and the high-tier-magic-chick pose is one of the best. ;)
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

How would you feel about a magic effect (maybe a globe of water, or a hanging ball of light) in her free hand? It looks a little empty at present...

And duly noted, I'll leave off committing for a bit.
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Deserter wrote: I think that it's just fine if you use the same pose once in every 50 portraits
Pha - I'm way over 70 by now :P And there are actually endless possibilities to combine the human body with an elongated object like a staff/spear/triton plus different physiques, props and costumes. I'm not rally afraid to seriously get out of ideas and poses anytime soon...
thespaceinvader wrote:How would you feel about a magic effect (maybe a globe of water, or a hanging ball of light) in her free hand? It looks a little empty at present...
I thought of that, too and tried it, but it felt simply too much and too "balanced". So no, she won't get extra sparkles in her free hand, it's rather meant as a gesture.
deserter
Art Contributor

Post by deserter »

kitty wrote:
Deserter wrote: I think that it's just fine if you use the same pose once in every 50 portraits
Pha - I'm way over 70 by now :P And there are actually endless possibilities to combine the human body with an elongated object like a staff/spear/triton plus different physiques, props and costumes. I'm not rally afraid to seriously get out of ideas and poses anytime soon...
Once every 50 would equal to twice every 100. :)
Does this then mean that every portrait of yours count as ~1.4 portraits? Hell yes. :P (I guess this assumes that these two portraits with the same-ish pose count as only one. :roll: That doesn't make them justice.)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:augh: I'll get the mermaids done in hopefully the next 24 hours. They're the next thing on my list after finishing this first part of a fire-breath animation for TSI.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
kitty

Post by kitty »

Some slight colour changes to the siren after Jetrel's update on the sprites. She and the diviner are both finished now.

And something new: Lines and flats for the fighter/warrior.
Attachments
fighter-warrior01.png
fighter-warrior01.png (142.81 KiB) Viewed 6443 times
enchantress_siren_bg.png
enchantress_siren_bg.png (52.18 KiB) Viewed 6440 times
enchantress_siren04.png
enchantress_siren04.png (231.74 KiB) Viewed 6441 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Kitty's Merfolk: Fighter

Both committed to trunk. And the fighter looks great =)
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

What's the Green thing on top of the Fighter?
melinath

Post by melinath »

I like to call it hair. Though that could just be my dialect.

EDIT:: Though I guess theoretically it could be a plume of some sort.
Last edited by melinath on July 23rd, 2009, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zigg

Post by Zigg »

Looks a strange shape for hair. Plus, it would probably be down against his head if wet.