Kitty's Merfolk: Finished

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Valkier
Art Contributor

Re: Kitty's Merpeople

Post by Valkier »

It seems like the arm with the shoulder pad is lower than it should be. It's right in line with the other shoulder, which in turn makes it seem like the armored shoulder is a couple inches lower on her skeleton.

Also with the area just beneath the shoulder pad there is a blue spot that makes it look like that's where that arm connects onto the torso. I know it's meant to just be a pigment change on the skin, but the shape and position of it just gives it an armpit look.

Otherwise I like how it's coming so far. But why no glowy eyes? EVERYTHING needs glowy eyes!

edit: A closer look at the arm with the shoulder pad also makes me think the position of it would be extremely uncomfortable given that it looks like her torso is slightly turning away from our view, but her arm is still at a perfect side view. When I try to mimic in myself, it ends up hurting my shoulder a bit. You can keep the general idea of the gesture pretty easily if you just have it coming towards us some more.
Last edited by Valkier on July 18th, 2009, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Win if you can. Lose if you must. But always cheat.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Thank you for the crit! I'll look into those shoulder issues (I guess I simply positioned the pauldron too low).

And glowy eyes sound like a good idea :twisted:
SouthernOracle

Post by SouthernOracle »

Just a preference note: the crease of her cheek on your July 17th post appears nicer than the sharper version in your update. I think the other makes her prettier (and 'no' I don't have a thing for mermaids! :oops: ). This is a very stately portrait, well done.
JLS

Post by JLS »

You're probably planning on fixing this in your finishing details, but I just wanted to make sure that you know that her nostrils have somehow disappeared? Is that intentional?

I love the seaweedy look of her hair and your use of coral. I can't wait to see what you think of for the rest of the merpeople... :D
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

Which begs the question, if she has gills why is there a nose at all? And if it's vestigial, why *not* have nostrils?

It's not a major problem, but the nose does look sort of painted-over, as though removing the nostrils was an afterthought. The idea could be more integrated.
kitty

Post by kitty »

JLS wrote:You're probably planning on fixing this in your finishing details, but I just wanted to make sure that you know that her nostrils have somehow disappeared? Is that intentional?
A-Red wrote:Which begs the question, if she has gills why is there a nose at all? And if it's vestigial, why *not* have nostrils?
Please do not start to discuss merpeople anatomy in this thread. Yes, there are some inconsitencies. Yes, we are aware of them and will handle them accordingly. If you feel the desperate need to discuss this topic do so in a seperate thread.
kitty

Post by kitty »

Some fixes on the enchnteress/siren, she is finished now as far as I am concerned, and preliminary flats for the priestess/diviner:
Attachments
priestess_diviner01.png
priestess_diviner01.png (170.54 KiB) Viewed 5079 times
enchantress_siren04.png
enchantress_siren04.png (235.83 KiB) Viewed 5083 times
enchantress_siren_bg.png
enchantress_siren_bg.png (48.98 KiB) Viewed 5075 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Siren looks good. Committing tomorrow, as usual =)

Diviner looks fine apart from the big mass of shells across her belly - I can't really see what you're going for with those, they feel a little messy... Hopefully, that'll iron out with shading, but...yeah.

I'm really looking forward to shell-based armour for the mermen - I wouldn't have thought of it, but it makes SO much sense...
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Kitty, are you going to be putting any effects or magical details around the top of the staff (I know it is only preliminary so far), or will you be leaving it as it is?
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
kitty

Post by kitty »

Progress...

TSI: I'm not sure yet if I'll give all the mermen shell based armour, I like the idea but I have to see how it turns out. For the shell mass on the preiestress/diviner's body - as far as I can see the sprites of both units feature numerous shells on their bodies and I think that's a neat idea for protective as well as fashionable gear for merfolk. And I tried to make it a grown conglomerate rather than a arranged one to emphatisize the unit's connection to her elemet.

Turuk: Of course she got some effects around her staff - what I posted were only lines and flats (as I labeled it) and these kind of effects are about the last thing I work on.
Attachments
priestess_diviner02.png
priestess_diviner02.png (188.15 KiB) Viewed 4869 times
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

quick sugestion about the enchentress staff...

the "spiral bone" material the staff is made of reminds me of the horn of a Narwhal...

maybe you could push that concept a little by avoiding the staff getting bigger at the bottom or shortening it to show it's lower tip...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
kitty

Post by kitty »

Yeah, narwal was the original idea behind the staff but then I thought it may be too brutal and settled for something inconclusive. Hmm - any others with opinions on that matter?
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

It looks better shaded =)

I really like the line of her jaw/ear for some reason, too. Very graceful.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

kitty wrote:Yeah, narwal was the original idea behind the staff but then I thought it may be too brutal and settled for something inconclusive. Hmm - any others with opinions on that matter?
You could taper it towards a tip to make it just like a narwhale horn (as the merpeople probably use what they can from the sea), but cap it in some fashion to take away the point and almost make her staff look a bit like a scepter/short staff.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

kitty wrote:Yeah, narwal was the original idea behind the staff but then I thought it may be too brutal and settled for something inconclusive. Hmm - any others with opinions on that matter?
Mmh... /me loves the overall look of the diviner, especially the shell mass which really came out great with shading.
As far as her staff is concerned, I'm with Boucman : I think a shorter, pointed, narval horn would fit better. It doesn't strike me as brutal (that is, unless you draw bits of dead narval attached to it :mrgreen: ) Besides, long staffs one may lean on/rest on the ground work fine with land-dwellers, but the same doesn't necessarily apply underseas :wink:

One small critique only : her right hand is currently a lot brighter than the surrounding body, which makes it look as if it didn't belong to her. Higher contrast between the shadowed back of the hand and the lit palm ought to solve this.

Also, I think you're onto something great with the shell-shaped pauldron of the enchanteress. I'd really like to see where this can lead with the heavier armour of the mermen warriors!
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !