Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by kitty »

sorry for the bad explanation (and please bear in mind that this is no important issue at all)! :(

i was trying to talk abut the difference in the planes of the human male and female face. here is a simplified example head which shows the facial planes - the left side is female and the right side is male (at least stereotypically). sometimes pictures are easier than words...
Attachments
planes.jpg
crappy paint over
crappy paint over
human-sergeant.png (48.24 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Aaah I get it now ! Very interesting model, it'll help me a lot and not only for masculine faces. :idea:
I'll soon come up with a final version of the sergeant, with a better crest and face.

In the meantime I finished the Lieutenant, which means I'll now be working on the Marshal(s).
Attachments
human-lieutenant.png
human-lieutenant.png (163.49 KiB) Viewed 3733 times
human-lieutenant_small.png
human-lieutenant_small.png (42.92 KiB) Viewed 3722 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
kitty

Post by kitty »

more awesomness!
in the beginning i would have liked to see his face but now the perforation in the helmet is what i like most about this portraits :D

my only nitpicks are the plume, which looks a bit flat and the leather straps, which are too clean and gleamy for my taste, i think they would profit from a bit wear and tear...

can't wait to see the marshal(s)! (and can't believe that you really do two!)
JW

Post by JW »

TrashMan wrote:LordBob is not human.....
Blarumyrran
Art Contributor

Post by Blarumyrran »

posting here just to say you are incredible

Cant squeeze out anything more constructive tho. Except that human-marshal-1.png's shield has golden ornament painted on the white-ish half of the shield too, but thats not allowed. But obviously you dont have to follow RL's heraldry so you may as well disregard that.

(the spearman & peasant seem somewhat below the quality of the rest which are incredibly awesome, but still better than any non-kitty non-TSI portraits, ofc)
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Plus, you put pressure on all those who want to contribute :annoyed:

:lol2:

No, seriously that's great! :D
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Syntax : to be honest, I included to golden ornament to match the sprite. I'm impressed by your knowledge of heraldry - But I'll keep it, like you said a little fantasy can't hurt. :wink:

Regarding the peasant & spearman...Id' probably share your opinion if I took time to compare the whole series (and eventually do something about it), but that won't be until every last loyalist portrait has been taken care of. There's still a number of them missing, so no starting over yet :P

New versions of the sergeant and lieutenant :
- changed the sergeant's floating plume for a smaller, gravity-friendly bunch of nearly-recognizable-material.
- removed the weird bluish reflection on the crossbow
- hopefully made him manlier by painting angular cheekbones

- added wear and tear on the lieutenant's belts
- added volume to the lieutenant's plume

Both portraits can be commited as far as I'm concerned

Edit : flipped the sergeant as requested.
Attachments
human-sergeant.png
human-sergeant.png (139.37 KiB) Viewed 6673 times
human-sergeant_small.png
human-sergeant_small.png (34.5 KiB) Viewed 6622 times
Last edited by LordBob on January 8th, 2009, 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Double posting due to attachment limit.
Attachments
human-lieutenant.png
human-lieutenant.png (164.7 KiB) Viewed 6650 times
human-lieutenant_small.png
human-lieutenant_small.png (43.1 KiB) Viewed 6595 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Would you mind a flip on the sergeant?

EDIT: Committed.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Horse unit portrait size: I've done a few raws for the knights, dragoons and so on, but must admit that the crop limit combined with the small size of the portraits is challenging. Nothing impossible, but I feel the end result won't be as detailed as other portraits can be. Do we have the possibility to use larger portraits for horse units, or a different framing for the dialog portrait vs the smaller help menu portrait ?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:or a different framing for the dialog portrait vs the smaller help menu portrait ?
Yes, that's at least possible.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Okay, I'm taking note of this. Depending on portraits, I might crop a closer shot for the 205*205 pictures.

In the meantime, the first marshal portrait is complete and the second is underway. C&C welcome, as I'd rather not repeat on the second portrait any mistakes I made already. :)
Attachments
human-marshal.png
human-marshal.png (192.01 KiB) Viewed 3234 times
human-marshal_small.png
human-marshal_small.png (48.43 KiB) Viewed 3231 times
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Wow, excellent, for comments:

Is the face contrasted enough? With all this shiny armor all around the face seems to fade a little, i'm not sure about that though, maybe it's good this way.

Same for the left (for us) part of the buckler, (the right part of the buckler itself) => the part that is among the body! maybe more outlined?

Well that's details so take them or leave them, i think i'm not talented enough to tell you how to do :lol2:

For the pose, it's a good idea, but watching the portrait, i have the constant feeling that the stick in his right hand (left of the pic) will glide or slip on this shiny armor, i don't know if you can do something about that. (as i already said, i don't know if you should do something about it)

Overall really nice, (should i add "as usual"?) as usual!

Bye
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Lord.Bedham

Post by Lord.Bedham »

All of your Potrait got only two different kinds of beards. None or an pointed beard.
It matches fine to all the others, but for this Veteran of War it would match better if he would have greater beard, which stands for maturity and Wisdom.
If you dont want to change that you could simply say its a form of Fashion in Wesnoth :mrgreen:

But i would take something like this for this Marshal:

I gonna club you in`da face
kitty

Post by kitty »

woho! lately i come to love opening the wenoth forums - everyday i get to see a new great portrait :D

i love the battelworn face you gave the marshall! imho he can get in the game as he is now.
but if you feel like doing some further editing i'd suggest some more shadow on the face casted by the helmet. and in this portrait the yellow fabric of the tunic looks very much like the gold on his armour - perhaps you could differentiate the two materials a bit.