Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by LordBob »

In this case, here are the final versions of both peasant and swordsman.

- Darkened the peasant's eyees and twiked his face and hat according to Kitty's advice
- Minor changes to the sword will hopefully dismiss the reading problem with its angle
- Changed the shield strap on the right to add volume to the shoulder
- Minor changes to the lighting on the shield, though I finally won't bend it : too much work for the stake.

All three portraits are ready for commitment ; Jetryl, you have my full name in PM. :)
Attachments
human-swordsman.png
human-swordsman.png (154.86 KiB) Viewed 8659 times
human-peasant.png
Last edited by LordBob on January 11th, 2009, 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Great work! I really like that swordsman.

Though, I just noticed--The peasant's eyes appear to be looking in slightly different directions :hmm:
Anyway, I look forward to seeing these in the next dev release :D
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

That was far less apparent before, when his eyes were whiter-than-white. But now it's much more obvious, isn't it? Interesting ...

LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

To be honest, I did not pay enough attention to the eyes before posting this version. Still I'm not surprised this wouldn't have been noticed before, as I only changed the direction he's looking this morning. :roll:

Anyway, it's only a few pixels and, unless I'm mistaken, the message portrait ingame will be smaller (200*200 ?). Hopefully, lower scale might suffice to correct that mistake :wink:
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The goal is to use the 400x400 transparent portraits under the new GUI which will hopefully be implemented in 1.7.x (i think). So currently, you're right (it's 205x205, by the way, black background) but this will change in the future.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Arg ! Then my peasant will be squinting ?! :oops: Oh well, suits him fine, he doesn't have a good health insurance does he ? :mrgreen:
Thanks for the detail anyway.

Here's a quick view of the royal guard ; note that the helmet and pauldrons still have a long way to go.. Both the linework and colour are still in progress.
Attachments
human-royalguard.png
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Ah, I very much like the interpretation of the armor on this fellow. However, it might be prudent to give him gold trim, or he could easily be mistaken for a swordsman, when considering the appearance of the in-game sprite. My apologies if you'd already been planning something like this - I know this is very much a WIP.

Very cool thus far. :D
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Looks good, the only thing I'd suggest would be removing the fingerguard from the hilt. Considering his armour and the fact that as a unit he's a real heavy hitter, an elaborate rapier-style hilt doesn't quite fit his style in my opinion. If you don't want to give him just a plain cross hilt, maybe adding a side ring or two to it would suffice.
woodmouse

Post by woodmouse »

I really like all of them! :D The peasant just looks a little scary in my opinion... :lol:
Check out my sprites!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

zookeeper wrote:Looks good, the only thing I'd suggest would be removing the fingerguard from the hilt. Considering his armour and the fact that as a unit he's a real heavy hitter, an elaborate rapier-style hilt doesn't quite fit his style in my opinion. If you don't want to give him just a plain cross hilt, maybe adding a side ring or two to it would suffice.
I somewhat disagree, if the blade stays as thick as it is (could be slightly longer though) then the hilt shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: yeah the link's not in English, but it's mainly aimed for zookeeper.

EDIT II: By the way, the sword as a whole should be a little bit lower than now, just because of the way he's holding the grip. The way it currently is would mean that the grip would go slightly through his palm
For the dark gods!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Looking good. I'd definitely agree about embellishment of the armour, but not about the sword - i really like the hilt. It makes it look much more high-quality and expensive - just the thing for a royal guard. But the blade looks a little light to me - the royal guard has one of the biggest swords among the loyalists, and currently, the swordsman's looks thicker and heavier. But if it doesn't change, I'm not too fussed, cos it looks great as it is.

Possibly the eye slots could do with being a touch larger, though.

Fantastic work =D It always interests me to see work in progress shots from other artists - I find work processes fascinating. Keep up the great work =)
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

You can rest assured, gold is definitely planned. :wink: The pauldrons being a tough morsel, I started them "raw" in order to avoid further complications until I could get volumes right (which they aren't yet). Once they work correctly, much embellishment ought to happen 8)

Contemplating armour at large, I intend to give the royal guard and halberdier rich-but-battle-ready armour. The knights will receive splendid armour as they evolve to grand knight or paladin, whereas heavy infantry only gets tougher with each level... :twisted:
The one that troubles me is the javelineer : not sure yet how I might give life to the sprite's greenish plate-like-but-neverthess-light armour.

Now about the sword, ye gods ! Girgistian, Spaceinvader, you read my mind I swear it. My design is inspired by an actual 16th-century sword, which looked very much like yours. The fingerguard looked like it could endure a lot and, fingerguard aside, that blade was anything but light. I'll take the advice about a heavier/longer blade, though.

EDIT : HA ! Leather, now that's something I can work with. Thanks for the tip
Last edited by LordBob on December 19th, 2008, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

I think the javelineer is supposed to be wearing some sort of leather armour, just so you know.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

LordBob wrote:All three portraits are ready for commitment ; Jetryl, you have my full name in PM. :)
And upon Jetryl's request they have been committed.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

SkeletonCrew wrote:And upon Jetryl's request they have been committed.
And thanks to you for that :)

Here's a quick work-in-progress view of the royal guard. Colouring isn't finished yet, plus the sword belt and shield demand more drawing of details.

Hopefully, he's more royal-looking now.
Attachments
human-royalguard.png