Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by LordBob »

Finished an additional marshal portrait. This one is intended as a spare for campaign dialog, and ready be committed anytime as far as I'm concerned.

Furthermore, I'm posting a WIP of a third modified picture: as far as marshals go, I fear I must declare it a failure. Right now he really seems to be holding a torch and I can't think yet of another posture that would offer dignity and little work on my part. Any thoughts ? Should I complete him all the same ? :hmm:
If anyone has (quite) specific needs (i.e. that you want him holding up a torch-like artifact at arm's length :P ), he's yours to take and I'll gladly recycle him into any specific character.

An alternate general portrait is still in progress, but not very interesting at the moment. I'll post him once he's done.
Attachments
human-marshal-2.png
human-marshal-2.png (184.91 KiB) Viewed 7969 times
Crappy posture, but if you need a portrait of someone holding a torch for underground/night scenarios...then PM me
Crappy posture, but if you need a portrait of someone holding a torch for underground/night scenarios...then PM me
human-marshal-1.png (93.76 KiB) Viewed 4577 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

The South Guard mainline campaign has a dismounted knight character with a spear, maybe failed marshal could be useful for that?
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Marshals are very rarely used. They are L4 and extremely powerful units, particularly in the hands of a human player.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks good LordBob. Assuming kitty has no objections, I'll commit the first alternate.

As regards the second one: I'd suggest that he grip the baton closer to the bottom, and that he tilts it forward slightly (about 30 to 45 degrees). At the moment, he's kind of holding it vaguely up. That would make it a definitive leading gesture. It might make the portrait a little bit emotive, but for an alternate, that's fine, people can just use whichever one they want.

Sapient's right, perhaps - the alternates may be better as generals rather than marshals.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Blarrh, I just can't obtain a General variation I'd be pleased with. Changing an existing model's arms and head without touching the rest only ever results in a false-looking posture, should've known about it. :annoyed:

If Kitty's ok with it, commit the above marshal variation as a spare
I might come back to generals later on when I'm done with other loyalists, but for the time being I'm dropping variations: there are more pressing needs.

Next portraits I take care of will be in the peasant line: pikeman / halberdier / javelineer
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Oop, i should have added that i've committed that marshal, variant already :oops:
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

I feel obliged to pop into this thread just to say.....

Wow!! :shock:

Your portraits are awesome!!

Thank you for contributing these wonderful improvements to Wesnoth! :)

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Hell, it's been a busy week.
Still, I managed to get an inked version of the Pikeman done. I consider adding a leather cowl of sorts beneath his helmet, but not much helse is planned yet.
In the meantime I'll be working on the Halberdier.

Also, SkeletonCrew noticed a few stray pixels on the general : I'll take care of that tomorrow.
Attachments
human-pikeman.png
mnewton1

Post by mnewton1 »

Nice, but I think that the pike end should be a bit longer
Creator of Ageless Era
Check out Frogatto & Friends, it's made by the same people who created The Battle for Wesnoth!
JW

Post by JW »

May I suggest this thread be moved to art dev?
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

mnewton1 wrote:Nice, but I think that the pike end should be a bit longer
The shaft should be almost twice as long if it were to be called a pike actually. The main thing that separated pikes from spears was the length difference i think.
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
JW

Post by JW »

As for the weapon, I go back to the sprite:
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Hmm, I take back what i said about the length. Spontoon
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

JW wrote:As for the weapon, I go back to the sprite:
Thing is, part of the reason the pike is so short in that picture is so the sprite will stay inside the hex, be able to have decent animations, etc... we can't really take the sprites as a guideline for how long the pike should be, IMO.

I do think the pike could use a bit more length - make it clear that this aint no wimpy spear, this is a pike. The height of the portrait shouldn't be a problem, given the new dialogue system, and making it longer should be a fairly easy cut/paste/copy/paste job, so why not?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:Thing is, part of the reason the pike is so short in that picture is so the sprite will stay inside the hex
From what I hear that's not an issue anymore. As for when the sprite was made, I dono.