Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoskel
Art Contributor

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by Neoskel »

You know, moving this thread to the restricted art forum would probably be the best thing for it.

Anywho, i think all the helmets suggested so far look fine and you shouldn't listen too much to the two or three people telling you to do the kettlehat. You should go with what you and the other experienced artists think looks best, or get opinions from a wider array of less artistic people like with a poll or something. Personally, i really like the sallet (is that right? I mean the portrait before the portrait before this post) and would like to see hat one go all the way to completion. A longer neck cover on that might be just the ticket.
Lord.Bedham

Post by Lord.Bedham »

@Neoskel
Maybe This is an open threat becouse Lord Bob want to know the opinion of all the other People who are represented here in this Forum.
And me for my part are not an unexperienced artist, im only not an Art Contributor.
But that dosnt say im not in the right to say wath i mean.
And i dont think all the Artist should leave and go in the restricted art forum and reject us.
I gonna club you in`da face
faring

Post by faring »

and I dont think you should sound so demanding -.-
It's amazing that he is doing this and all the previous portraits have been of an exceptional quality yet you claim he doesnt know what he is doing then tell him to redo it
The portraits do not need to match the sprites exactly and I'm sure whatever hat Lordbob chooses he will make it work perfectly

..So thank you from the silent majority
your work is brilliant :)
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Lord.Bedham wrote:Hmm, i take back wath i said about :
""Do that wath you think, is the best for the sprite Lord Bob, i think you know wath you are doing.""

This Helm so not wath i expectet.
You said you want to make them Different, that good. But why this strong difference between the Swordsman ? The Helm of the sprite is Simular, and thay are Both lvl 2 units.
So why dont you make little differences. The body Armor look already Awsome and so diverse.
So you coult just take one of the Kattlehats. Like me and Pipeman said. I want you to take this Helm to like Pipeman choose.
I know you reedone this 2 times and you are going to be angry about it, but i think THIS would be the Best for the sprite. :)
I love when other forum members understand the rules and help to educate people. It makes my job easier. Despite what you may think, they have raised a valid point about taking a demanding tone with an artist (one which I believe I have had to say a great deal lately in this forum). The bolded parts of your post reinforce that, and even the whole post itself is wrong. You may be an artist, but that does not give you the right to say whatever you want. The people who have Art Contributor titles have earned them for a reason, and so that is why their feedback matters, but even they do not tell other artists what to do.

This may be an open thread, but you should try reading the Critique Guidelines before you post. As for moving it to Art Development, I have asked LordBob about that, but he does value SOME of the feedback he is given by certain members. Therefore the thread will stay here for now.

What this does mean is that if you or anyone else continues in this demanding tone, I will just delete your posts.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
TheJM

Post by TheJM »

For what it's worth, I think the first helm fits in better with the overall portrait. ;)

Anyway, I was actually just dropping by to say that I absolutely love your portraits, they look really awesome in game. Keep up the good work. :)
Lord.Bedham

Post by Lord.Bedham »

I think then this is the point were i have to say sorry.
I dont want to be demanding, or sound angry.
The feedback that i give on the Potraits of Lord Bob May sound to hard for you. Its not Easy to find good and the right words in a different language, but that isnt a apology for that i may have insult somebody here in the Forum.
a thousand pardons, For my bad manner.

I will effort to give better Feedbacks.
I gonna club you in`da face
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

My goodness, gracious me! It's getting a bad atmosphere here by now.
I think no one here has the authorisation giving orders to LordBob or someone else, who is working to improve this game. It should be LordBob and no one other, who has the last say about these portraits. They are his work. That should be clear for every person in this thread.
"Wenn der Bauer im Strudel mäht und die Wolken schwer zu Tale höngen, dann brauch auch du nicht lang, Mariechen, zu deinem Pferdchen kümmen."

- Vermutlich von C. Morgenstern
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Alright, may I have your attention please?
Guys, while I'm glad you want to help by giving Lord_Bob suggestions, there are some things I ask all of you to do first.

1.Read this Now that you have read it, if I catch you posting contrary to it, I will remove your post. No questions.

2. See whether or not the artist has commented on your last batch of comments. If he doesn't seem to be taking your ideas into consideration, being *more* persistent/demanding will not help.

3. Never argue with someone (be it a dev/moderator/forum regular, art contributor, random new poster) In this thread. If it's with a dev/moderator, take it to PMs, or IRC. If it isn't important, don't argue at all. If you continue an arguement that doesn't belong here, I'll remove your post (maybe to OT, maybe just remove it), and if you keep up, bad things will happen.

Remember, this is Lord Bob's thread, discussing his art, and although random short tangents often occur, let's try to keep this on-track.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Two quick comments:

a) About the supposed formal/dress-uniform nature of the pikeman's garb; I think it probably has something to do with the red color his shirt has, and the polka-dot nature of the metal studs (they make it look somewhat like a funky costume, along the lines of what the Swiss Guards are wearing). I wouldn't worry too much about it though. He looks pretty damn cool, which is all that matters. I could certainly see him going into battle wearing that.

b) Something bugs me about his armor. I think it's the piece that goes around his neck, and how it has a sharp corner pointing down in the middle of his chest. It looks rather impractical. Wouldn't it make it rather painful for him to bend over? It seems like it would poke into his stomach whenever he leaned forward. Restricting armor is fine, but painful armor isn't. :P And besides, since that's the only piece of armor that looks like it would seriously restrict his movement, and it doesn't offer much protection, it seems out of place. It might be better if the bottom was cut off and the corner rounded off - it would make him look much more flexible. Should be an easy fix. Though of course you might disagree there is anything to fix.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

More Pikeman work in progress.
- Got rid of the reddish leather tint
- New helmet, probably still not my definitive choice. The more I try, the more I think I'll get back to my initial choice.
- Followed Turin's gorget advice

I'm not satisfied yet with the studs on his chest. I'll fiddle with them or, should that fail, give him a breastplate (though I'd regret it since I rather like that leather tunic :hmm: ).
Attachments
human-pikeman.png
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Vendanna

Post by Vendanna »

LordBob wrote:More Pikeman work in progress.
- Got rid of the reddish leather tint
- New helmet, probably still not my definitive choice. The more I try, the more I think I'll get back to my initial choice.
- Followed Turin's gorget advice

I'm not satisfied yet with the studs on his chest. I'll fiddle with them or, should that fail, give him a breastplate (though I'd regret it since I rather like that leather tunic :hmm: ).
Then follow your innerself, I myself look at it and find something wrong with it (maybe because its too armored for the rest of the armor that gives impression of "medium/light armor") and I don't know the function of the "wing?" on the bottom part of the helm (since it doesn't even protect the neck from a stab)

About the studs, I felt there is too many of them on the main body (but it looks good on the bracers) my mind seems to think that it has a pattern like the following

"X.X.X."
".X.X.X"
"X.X.X."

(like a chesboard in which on each corner there is a stud) probably due how the studs are placed on the arms.

Sorry if I cannot be more clear, basically I think it would benefit more if the studs on the main body follow the same pattern of the studs on the arms. (also its the first time I see an armor with two different in size studs)
"Mysteries are revealed in the light of reason."
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Vendanna: it's worth bearing in mind that some of them (or possibly all of them) are not simply studs. That appears to be a brigandine he's wearing, meaning that they are rivets holding plates of armour on underneath the leather of his body. The same is probably not true of the ones on his arms. Thusm the pattern is goign to be different.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Cool, the gorget (is that what that piece is called?) looks much better now. I also like the new color of the leather armor (not that I particularly disliked the old).

Now, the original helm would be this one, right? I agree, using it would be IMO the best choice. The other ones all look too heavily armored for the top of the head while leaving the neck and jaw area too unprotected... I think part of the problem is you seem unwilling to cover up the bottom of his nose and any of his mouth, which makes it hard to have a helmet of the kind you're going for - why wouldn't that band that goes across the middle of his nose protect the bottom of his nose and his mouth and chin as well?

Anyway, that's just my opinion as someone who has never worn or designed real armor, so use whichever helmet you think looks best.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

Wow, he looks much better now. I like the new brigantine and the gorget, too. Very nice!

But simply taking the old helmet, wouldn't be a wise decision. Because the pikeman would change the spearmans barbuta helmet to an iron hat with less protection and still no improvement of his FOV. A pointed helmet like this one

- without these decorations of course and maybe without the nasal - would offer the same protection, with nasal even more, and would actually match with the sprite in some aspects. And it still would be quite historical correct. German "Landsknechte"-Pikemen often weared "Beckenhauben" and "Sturmhauben", or bacinets, called helmets in the same line.
"Wenn der Bauer im Strudel mäht und die Wolken schwer zu Tale höngen, dann brauch auch du nicht lang, Mariechen, zu deinem Pferdchen kümmen."

- Vermutlich von C. Morgenstern
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Point taken about the need for a better cover the neck. I'll try the design Pipeman proposed, I like it and it's close enough to the spearman's helm.
Vendanna / TSI : you're both right about the studs. I was aiming for a brigandine indeed, but my studs are too many and don't follow a convincing pattern. I'll start over from scratch for the chest.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !