Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

beetlenaut
Developer

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by beetlenaut »

The small version is the one that will be seen the most, and we'll miss the top of the pike. I would suggest sliding it down a dozen pixels or so--just in the small version--so we can actually see the weapon.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Well, if you are taking the help system into account... yeah, it will be the most seen version. Otherwise I would not worry.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I was thinking about the help system. Some of these units only have dialog once or twice in all the campaigns combined, so you will hardly ever see them. Maybe we could have a feature in the help system that lets you click on the small portrait to see the large one. It would fill the help window, but all you would need besides the portrait is a "close" button.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Beetlenaut: I've given some thought to the pike problem you mention and experimented. Unfortunately, showing the blade of the pike in the small portrait results either in a loss of resolution for the pikeman himself, or the feeling of a ridiculously short pike, hence showing only the handle.
Regarding the use of portraits, I'm hoping that nice mainline portraits will encourage campaign developpers to include more dialog, so let's not focus on the help files. :wink:

In the meantime, here's a WIP of the halberdier's ink. Hands aren't finished yet and the halberd lacks its blade. I've also got a feeling his left shoulder region is a bit vague at the moment.
Attachments
human-halberdier.png
human-halberdier.png (53.12 KiB) Viewed 4225 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Krono70

Post by Krono70 »

Nice! Very good quality indeed!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Inking of the halberdier is done, though before I shade him I'll work on the javelineer's lines.
Attachments
human-halberdier.png
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Now that he's got some colours it's easier to see. Isn't his head a bit on the small side? Maybe make it about 3-4% larger?

DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Simons Mith wrote:Now that he's got some colours it's easier to see. Isn't his head a bit on the small side? Maybe make it about 3-4% larger?
I don't really see this... though the arms need a little more, maybe when you shade it'll look better.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Something bothers me about HIS left lower arm - it looks like it bends about halfway up, or possibly isn't quite wide enough at the base.

But other than that, looking great =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The way his hands seem to be angled, it looks like the shaft would have to be bent with a bow, with the middle part closest to the viewer and both the ends further way. :? Maybe it's just though.

It looks really cool, though, and even this complaint isn't that noticeable.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
JW

Post by JW »

turin wrote:The way his hands seem to be angled, it looks like the shaft would have to be bent with a bow, with the middle part closest to the viewer and both the ends further way. :? Maybe it's just though.

It looks really cool, though, and even this complaint isn't that noticeable.
I think that just has to do with how much of the unit's lower left hand we see, which creates the illusion in your mind. I do see what you're talking about though.

I also agree with TSI that the left elbow looks slightly odd, but I think it has to do with the unique elbow guard and how it hangs. I've spent quite a good time looking at it before I posted, and it appears to me that the line on the bottom right (as we see it) part of his left elbow should not curve in so far. I think it should follow the curvature of the outside edge of the guard, shouldn't it (more circular)? This is a very minor change of only a few pixels, but I think that is what is giving the odd impression.

And of course, since I haven't commented on how much I like the pic yet: you already know it's very nice. :wink:
(use a Borat voice when reading that if you want :wink: )
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Elbow/forearm: to be honest, drawing realistic armour perspective is incredibly challenging. I had already fiddled with that elbow and must admit you're onto something.

Grip: the grip's wrong too - probably his right hand. If I can I'll change only one hand

Helm: I'll try enlarging it, but I think it might also have to do with perspective.

More soon
Captain Swing

Post by Captain Swing »

LordBob wrote:Elbow/forearm: to be honest, drawing realistic armour perspective is incredibly challenging. I had already fiddled with that elbow and must admit you're onto something.
I'd not disagree with you, and this is a wonderful use of perspective, but I have to wonder is part of the reason some find it to look 'off' is that the shoulders are mirrored in a static position, I am unsure about the exact construction of Maxilian spaulders, but I wonder if they wouldn't rotate back slightly when the arms are out forward like that, certainly with the raised arm the lames in the shoulder area would contract and generally raise above the level of the spaulder to the side. This level of detail is likely unecessary, rotating the right glove should fix, and as is it's better then anything I could do. Also I think the helm is fine sizewise - maybe you could enlarge the visor is you must but I like the small head on larger body - it shows the mass of the plate armor.

...Swing
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Captain Swing wrote: Also I think the helm is fine sizewise - maybe you could enlarge the visor is you must but I like the small head on larger body - it shows the mass of the plate armor.
I think that's the crux of my niggle though - if the rest of his armour is so massive, why is he wearing such a comparatively light helm? This guy is almost as well-covered as the Heavy Infantryman line. How does he compare side by side with the swordsman and the royal guard? I'm not really making an artistic criticism here; it's more of a possible consistency issue among these different units, I suppose.

[Edit in response to limabean's post below] OK, must just be me then. NVM.
Last edited by Simons Mith on January 28th, 2009, 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Limabean

Post by Limabean »

if the rest of his armour is so massive, why is he wearing such a comparatively light helm?
imo, even when compared with the rest of the armor it seems adequately massive... plus it looks cool. :)