Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Simons Mith

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by Simons Mith »

I think the bowman image you've done here would make a better base for a longbowman image and possibly vice versa. But I like all your images. Including the line drawings. Do they still exist as accessible images (or image layers), or do they end up getting overdrawn as you colour them in?

Mirion147

Post by Mirion147 »

The bow in the longbow image looks more like a recurve bow while the bow in the bow in the bowman looks more like a longbow. I think instead of starting over just switching the bows would be adequate. Other then that it looks good though! Keep it up :)!
Take a look at the Era of the Future!
Current factions: The Welkin, The Brungar, and The Nordhris!
^This is old news lol but I don't care^
New news -> Up the River Bork Campaign!
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

LordBob wrote:Unfortunately, the alternative Turuk proposes is a. a lot of work and b. very similar to both the woodsman and bowman poses. I'll give it some thinking, but honestly if Kitty's willing to accept the current pose, I'm all for it
Aye, I know, I was just hoping to maybe jumpstart ideas of your own that might give you a better solution. I know you're limited by just how much you can do with someone who is wielding a bow without having them just holding it, standing there.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Rocket Slug

Post by Rocket Slug »

Sorry for jumping in late, but the Halberdier's right shoulder bugs me. His pauldron/spaulder/piece of shoulder armor looks really off. It's as though instead of wrapping around his shoulder, it sits behind his arm and his arm just pops out of his breast plate. It also seems to give him an unnatural hump behind him, as well. If we were looking down his arm and up into his armpit, then maybe this would be somewhat acceptable, but when you compare his right shoulder to his left, you can clearly see the difference.

Otherwise, though, absolutely gorgeous work! Can't wait to see the Javelineer finished. He's a favorite of mine, and I would greatly appreciate seeing him get some love!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

I've checked the Halberdier's shoulder according to RocketSlug's comment : will post a revised version sometime.

As to the bowmen, I'll wait for Kitty's word before I change anything but it's likely that the bowman will get a shorter bow, the longbowman a longer one and a recurve bow to the master bowman. Of which I'm posting the raw. As with the others, his bow is due for a complete redo.

Last, a work in progress of the javelineer.
Attachments
human-masterbowman.png
human-masterbowman.png (54.37 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
human-javelineer.png
human-javelineer.png (119.06 KiB) Viewed 3681 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Mefisto
Art Contributor

Post by Mefisto »

Both javelineer and master bowman look great. Only master bowman would probably need a longer arrow for his large bow.
Simons Mith

Post by Simons Mith »

Mefisto wrote:Both javelineer and master bowman look great. Only master bowman would probably need a longer arrow for his large bow.
Hell yes, arrows for any given bow are about 70% of the length of the bow. Longbow arrows can be a metre long.

LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

New version of the javelineer, mostly finished I think.
Attachments
human-javelineer.png
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

wow! so much new awesomeness! :D

the woodsman is cute! i love the insecure expression. i'm not sure if his waistline isn't too slender in relation to his big manly hands.
the bowman looks really nice, to. i'm curious to see how those will turn out rendered. i think wether his face is a tad too big or his hands are too small in relation too each other.
the longbowman... argh. i love his expression, his costumeing, everything! but, as you assumed his pose won't work for the generic unit portrait. imagine this guy talking to his superior while aiming at him... i would love to extend our portraits to expression variants once the neutral generic ones are finished and this guy could be a perfect candidate for this.
the masterbowman is great! the rich detailing is beautiful apart from the short arrow there seems to be something a tad of with the placement of his eyes.
the javelineer is comming out nice, too! i really like the combination of all those materials. perhaps you could try to make the leather more leather-y, atm it could be coated metal. and the face could receive a bit more love, too ;)

wow again. i hope your output rate stays that high!
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Are you also planning on doing the poacher branch of the woodsman at some point? 'Cuz that would be awesome. :D
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Wow... that armor on the javelineer is just awesome.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The Javelineer's face looks really greyish at the moment - he appears kind of unhealthy. Other than that, he looks good =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Revised javelineer. I must say I'm at a loss with Kitty's make the leather more leathery". I added a few patches of brownish-green relief and tweaked the light, but other than that I'm not sure what I could do.

Next, the bowmen ! All comments duly noted, will get back to the drawing board before I shade them.

Neoskel : the poacher branch does deserve some love and I'll doubtlessly enjoy drawing them, but as far as factions go they're Outlaws and as such will be treated once the Loyalists are done.

EDIT : forgot the attachment :roll:
Attachments
human-javelineer.png
human-javelineer.png (145.63 KiB) Viewed 3142 times
human-javelineer_small.png
human-javelineer_small.png (41.88 KiB) Viewed 3135 times
Ardent

Post by Ardent »

I'm not sure, but wouldn't the sword of the master bowman hinder him where he has it?
I think he couldn't move without it bouncing off his legs.
You are an Orcish Grunt: cheap, powerful, but effective.
JW

Post by JW »

His face seems rather green now. He still looks unhealthy. But otherwise great. :)