Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by thespaceinvader »

I want doesn't get ;)

Making demands of our artists is unappreciated. IIRWIIR.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

Yes, I know. :oops:
There was meant no harm and it wasn't really a suggestion. I simply can't await to see the revised lancer.
"Wenn der Bauer im Strudel mäht und die Wolken schwer zu Tale höngen, dann brauch auch du nicht lang, Mariechen, zu deinem Pferdchen kümmen."

- Vermutlich von C. Morgenstern
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

As it was annonced, I'm back to the Loys and this series will see the last of them !
Alternate Grand Knight is now available. This portrait should be committed in the trunk as a spare.

Next I'll be working on the Lancer portrait, which will give us a complete faction. 8)
Attachments
human-grandknight_1.png
human-grandknight_1.png (391.79 KiB) Viewed 5807 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Wow! :shock:

That's awesome - honestly I prefer this version over the one you did first, but of course it is your call which one will be the standard version... The ram elements are really unique and beautiful!
Girgistian
Art Contributor

Post by Girgistian »

kitty wrote:That's awesome - honestly I prefer this version over the one you did first, but of course it is your call which one will be the standard version... The ram elements are really unique and beautiful!
As do I, that's really grand :D . Amazed cat is amazed.
For the dark gods!
StDrake

Post by StDrake »

I like that one more than the previous as well. Without that sceptre symbol he's more general-use, not necessarily a knight of the wesnothian crown. Better UMC fluff support :D
Like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick ass with!
Don't like cats? I've made a whole faction of them to kick their asses! So everyone's happy :)
Felinian faction is part of the Beyond Southern Hells era
kitties need sprites! art topic here
A-Red
Art Contributor

Post by A-Red »

StDrake wrote:Without that sceptre symbol he's more general-use, not necessarily a knight of the wesnothian crown. Better UMC fluff support :D
It also makes more sense for the four Clan chieftains in HttT, who are not aligned with the throne.
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

I compared the new portrait with the red one and noticed that the new one still has red reflections on the knight's leg armor and the horse's neck armor.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

mabeenot wrote:I compared the new portrait with the red one and noticed that the new one still has red reflections on the knight's leg armor and the horse's neck armor.
Yes, I am aware of that. However, I think it's altogether an improvement, as it isn't blatant and brings some warm contrast in a drawing that would otherwise be all cold blues.

Looking how several of you seem to prefer the blue knight over the red one, I don't mind him being used as the default dialog portrait. What bothers me, however, is that the Horseman and Knight portraits are mostly red : when looking up this unit line in the dictionnary, I think it'll feel more natural to upgrade from a red Knight to a red Grand Knight.

So my favorite combination would be :
* Blue default dialog portrait
* Red small portrait

Anyway I'll post a small version of both and the rest will be up to TSI when he does the committment.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

I'd prefer to see the default dialogue and the default unit portraits the same, personally - I'll check this with Jet, however, before I commit.

But lovely, lovely work. Those loys are nearly down =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

I've probably come in here and said this before, but if so it was about ten pages ago, so time to renew the warranty.

It's the level of polish that portraits like these give 'Noth that makes it so enjoyable to play--sure, I love games like Touhou and Black Shades with their simplistic/just plain bad graphics, but it's pretty cool to have someone else walk into the room and be like, "woah, that game's got good art, what is it?" ;)

Nice work.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:I'd prefer to see the default dialogue and the default unit portraits the same, personally - I'll check this with Jet, however, before I commit.

But lovely, lovely work. Those loys are nearly down =D
I lean towards TSI's preference of keeping them the same for consistency's sake, but I don't care too strongly. Whatever keeps the code simple.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Cuyo Quiz

Post by Cuyo Quiz »

It is sad that the only thing i can think of is that blued steel actually became something of a fashion if you were rich enough to have it, and thus would fit. But damn if the general public has an idea.

LordBob needs a more pompous title, seriously.

Oh yeah not dead btw, just ended evaluations.
Cuyo Quiz,where madness meets me :D
Turn on, tune in, fall out.
"I know that, but every single person nags about how negative turin is; it should be in the FPI thread "Turin should give positive comments" =)"-Neorice,23 Sep 2004
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Cuyo Quiz wrote:It is sad that the only thing i can think of is that blued steel actually became something of a fashion if you were rich enough to have it, and thus would fit. But damn if the general public has an idea.

LordBob needs a more pompous title, seriously.

Oh yeah not dead btw, just ended evaluations.
Yeah. I've been thinking the same thing.

:hmm: @Kitty, any objections if I also make him Portrait Director (co-directors, of sorts)? I'd rather not make up a new title, but I think he could use some 'official recognition'. Both of you are far-and-away the biggest contributors we've ever had to portraits.

I don't think it'd be an issue, since based on working evidence I doubt you guys would ever lock horns over anything, but I thought I'd give you a chance to veto instead of just doing it, since you are our current (first, even) portrait director.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Wow, that would be an honour. Whatever becomes of it, I appreciate the attention those portraits have received and the warm welcome this community has given me right from the start. :)

In the meantime, just to show I'm not dead, here's a work in progress of the Lancer. Don't be surprised at how raw he looks compared to my usual portraits : for a change, I've partly switched to the lineless painting method that Valkier uses on the undead.

As to the Grand Knight, I surrender to the likings of the crowd : you'll find attached the blue knight variant portrait, which finally gets to be standards and red the alternative.
Attachments
human-grandknight_1.png
human-grandknight_1.png (391.97 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
human-grandknight_1small.png
human-grandknight_1small.png (65.15 KiB) Viewed 4582 times
I'm the last of the Loys ! Yeeheeeee !!!
I'm the last of the Loys ! Yeeheeeee !!!
human-lancer.png (226.75 KiB) Viewed 4582 times