Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by kitty »

Make him another Portrait Director of course! If anybody has earned it, it is Lordbob! :D
Plus more olive green on the forums will look nice ;)

---

The Lancer is shaping up nicely - I like his attitude, you managed to make him very true to the unit's spirit without showing his weapon! But I'm a bit in doubt about the figure's perspective, since we see the horse from a obviously very low angle, I'd expect the lancer to be affected by perspective more...
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

I really like the helmet-turban of your lancer. The only thing I've asked myself was what the thing on his feet and lower leg is supposed to be. Should it sit tight on the leg or is it some kind of plate-leather-thingy?
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

Grendel wrote:I really like the helmet-turban of your lancer. The only thing I've asked myself was what the thing on his feet and lower leg is supposed to be. Should it sit tight on the leg or is it some kind of plate-leather-thingy?
Um, boots?

Anyways, this portrait looks great! Interesting to see it drawn from a different approach than usual.
I will now resume lurking silently.
Grendel

Post by Grendel »

Well, when you put it this way... uh. Nevermind ;)
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

kitty wrote:The Lancer is shaping up nicely - I like his attitude, you managed to make him very true to the unit's spirit without showing his weapon! But I'm a bit in doubt about the figure's perspective, since we see the horse from a obviously very low angle, I'd expect the lancer to be affected by perspective more...
Well, that's a problem. The horse after which I designed this portrait is raised on its hind legs with the rider standing in the stirrups, which explains how rider and horse follow different perspectives.
However, what is obvious in the full picture clearly isn't after cropping. :hmm: I'll try a few things, including a reframe and redrawing the horses's front legs
Last edited by LordBob on October 12th, 2009, 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

While i really like the helmet the lancer is wearing, it seems like his head is just a bit too high. It suggests that this fellow has a remarkably long neck. I think if your shorten the helmet under the face by about the length of that clasp there it should dispel that impression.

Ooh, i really like his sleeve thingys too. :D
yeahthatguy

Post by yeahthatguy »

LordBob wrote:
kitty wrote:The Lancer is shaping up nicely - I like his attitude, you managed to make him very true to the unit's spirit without showing his weapon! But I'm a bit in doubt about the figure's perspective, since we see the horse from a obviously very low angle, I'd expect the lancer to be affected by perspective more...
Well, that's a problem. The horse after which I designed this portrait is raised on its hind legs with the rider standing in the stirrups, which explains how rider and horse follow different perspectives.
However, what is obvious in the full picture clearly isn't after cropping. :hmm: I'll try a few things, including a reframe and redrawing the horses's front legs
Hi.

I think exaggerating the lift ( or heighten the position ) of the horse's front legs would certainly clue someone of its posture without affecting the rest of the portrait. Of course, an un-cropped view of the portrait might suffer but going solely by reactions it seems the reverse is currently true.

You could also provide us with the entire unit. Since you've mentioned it, I'm quite curious to see it ( even if all of it wont be worked on ). :)

Oh, and endless praises to you. Your work is truly wonderful.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

yeahthatguy wrote:I think exaggerating the lift ( or heighten the position ) of the horse's front legs would certainly clue someone of its posture without affecting the rest of the portrait. Of course, an un-cropped view of the portrait might suffer but going solely by reactions it seems the reverse is currently true.
You could also provide us with the entire unit. Since you've mentioned it, I'm quite curious to see it ( even if all of it wont be worked on ). :)
Heh, thanks for the praise and advice. Displaying the entire unit is unfortunately ruled out by the 500*500 size limit for our portraits : drawing an entire horse within the frame would result in its rider looking a LOT smaller than the other loyalist troops.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Back again.

I've been struggling for some time now, but at long last the lancer is done. And with him the entire Loyalist Series !!!

Once it is committed, I say this thread be moved to Art Development where it can enjoy a peaceful afterlife :) .
Attachments
human-lancer.png
human-lancer.png (272.86 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
human-lancer_small.png
human-lancer_small.png (46.75 KiB) Viewed 4557 times
Guidrion

Post by Guidrion »

Noone could thank you enough for that wonderful work!
Still, I'll try:

THANKS!!!!!
"There is no difference between good or bad but thinking makes it so"
William Shakespeare.
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

Yes. You've definitely made some awesome portraits for the loyalists.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

Lovely work, and congrats on the completion! The only thing I dislike about the lancer it the horse's nostrils. I can't explain what exactly, but something looks off with them--something to do with the lines themselves being too regular, thick, and or subtly clashing with the shading along with it.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Congratulations, LordBob. Your work on the Loyalist series has been uniformly fantastic, and your professionalism has been instrumental in helping push Wesnoth from brilliant-but-rough to a polished gem that rivals most commercial games.

Thank you for all your contributions! :D
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Pipeman

Post by Pipeman »

Thanks a lot, LB!! Really nice!
"Wenn der Bauer im Strudel mäht und die Wolken schwer zu Tale höngen, dann brauch auch du nicht lang, Mariechen, zu deinem Pferdchen kümmen."

- Vermutlich von C. Morgenstern
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

yeah, LB, let me join the chorus and say how great all your series are...

however I don't think that thread should be moved to AD...

threads are moved to AD because they don't produce mainline art, not for archiving... so your thread will probably stay here... you can always create another thread if you have other projects...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim