Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoskel
Art Contributor

oops

Post by Neoskel »

Simons Mith wrote:
Captain Swing wrote: Also I think the helm is fine sizewise - maybe you could enlarge the visor is you must but I like the small head on larger body - it shows the mass of the plate armor.
I think that's the crux of my niggle though - if the rest of his armour is so massive, why is he wearing such a comparatively light helm? This guy is almost as well-covered as the Heavy Infantryman line. How does he compare side by side with the swordsman and the royal guard? I'm not really making an artistic criticism here; it's more of a possible consistency issue among these different units, I suppose.

[Edit in response to limabean's post below] OK, must just be me then. NVM.
One thing about the Pikeman/Halberdier units is that their pierce resistance gets higher as they advance and the halberdier actually has a really high pierce resistance. I think this is reflected quite well by the bulky plated armor. Compare the Royal Guard who doesn't get any changes in resistances.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by LordBob »

Remember that the royal guard has a shield : as such, he can afford slightly lighter armour than the halberdier's. Anyway I hope none of you seriously considers the latter a match for the Iron Mauler design when it comes to heaviness. :mrgreen:

In the meantime, here's a preliminary for the javelineer.
Attachments
human-javelineer.png
human-javelineer.png (63.14 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Nice mustache. :D
(Sorry, I have got no constructive criticism. Do not kill me.)

EDIT: At least it will make these guys way more popular.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sleepwalker
Art Contributor

Post by Sleepwalker »

Now there's a portrait you won't see much of in game.

Can't give any constructive crit either, it just looks great. :D
Sometimes we must be hurt in order to grow, fail in order to know, lose in order to gain, and sometimes we must have to be broken so we can be whole again...
- Nercy Masayon
Corvvs

Post by Corvvs »

Shadow Master wrote:At least it will make these guys way more popular.
...and rightly so. Everyone knows javelineers are 1337...

I'm not entirely sure what's going on below his waist... there seems to be a bunch of angled lines. Maybe flats will fix it :hmm:

Edited because I spail at felling.
"we alone truly exist, ... the shadows we traverse are but projections of our own desires..."

Orbivm ||| The Thread of Ill-Fated Portraits
CountPenguin

Post by CountPenguin »

It looks great, but the arm with the horizontal spear looks odd. The drawing is fine, but why would he be holding it like that? It isn't like he's about to throw it, and I certainly wouldn't want to carry a spear around like that. The angles/proportions are fine though, so its your artistic choice :)
CountPenguin

Currently working on Siege of Soradoc. Except not anymore, but you can take over if you want!
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The armour's mostly leather, presumably? The only minor issue I'd have is that the helm looks very heavy compare to the other two level 2s, where this is a lighter armoured unit, reflected by its lower health (it has the same resists as the pikeman, so similar armour to him would be appropriate, maybe), but it's very cool, too, so I can live with it...

Maybe making the heads of his thrwoing spears less big and bulky might be appropriate, too - the attack button images look like roman pilum type spears, with a long, thin head. But it's your call on that one =)

Great work =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Lord.Bedham

Post by Lord.Bedham »

CountPenguin wrote:It looks great, but the arm with the horizontal spear looks odd. The drawing is fine, but why would he be holding it like that? It isn't like he's about to throw it, and I certainly wouldn't want to carry a spear around like that. The angles/proportions are fine though, so its your artistic choice :)
Well he is ready to throw it but, not in the direct pose to strike out . I like it. and i dont thing it have to be changed.
I gonna club you in`da face
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

just some praise :D
i love the javelineer's design and discerning expression - and i really hope you'll find a solution for the halbedier's arms, he is really looking badass in every other regard!
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

Gotta love the 'stache. :D
It really adds loads of character.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Modified version of the halberdier, who should now be ready for shading.

- Larger left elbow/forearm limit
- Grip should be more coherent. Unless something better is proposed, I'll keep it as is.
human-halberdier.png
The javelineer's armour is all leather indeed, except for the helm. As such I thought a reinforced neck would be OK, but I can try to lower the face cover, or simply switch it for a gorget. Anyway, he'll need a little more work before he's ready
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

the halberdier's arms work much better now! the left one still looks a tad strange, but i think that's due to the elbow-thingie.
and actually i like the javelineer's heavy helmet, i think it's a nice contrast to the leather armour.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

The javelineer will keep his steel helmet, but with a lower neck guard, which ought to tone down the heaviness :)

In the meantime, here's the shaded halberdier. I tried a slightly different approach for the steel, with different colour tones. I hope he doesn't look too different from the other spearman line units.
Attachments
human-halberdier.png
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Looks great, but his helm feels a little flat to me, and the halberd head could possibly use a little more contrast. Aside from that, brilliant =)
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

LordBob wrote:In the meantime, here's the shaded halberdier. I tried a slightly different approach for the steel, with different colour tones. I hope he doesn't look too different from the other spearman line units.
I like the different colors, and while I know that Wesnoth does like uniformity in the general idea of portraits following the same style, I am sure you can get away with having slightly different color metal. ;)

Armor came from smithies all over the land who drew their ore from various places, so there are bound to be different levels and qualities of the metal. Not to mention potential traces of other metals in the ore which might color it, or the tradition that soldiers had of applying a finish to their armor (often one color or done by heraldry) in order to prevent rust and abrasion.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time