Loyalist Portrait Series

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Max

Re: Loyalist Portrait Series

Post by Max »

that's just amazing - thank you!
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Ah, the shiny armor! I envy that guy!

Really awesome portraits these are. I had not seen such well designed, drawn and painted armors in these forums before. The level of detail is just amazing.

Hail the art octopus! :D
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The marshal is pretty good, except that the staff is supposed to enter the shadow volume of the cape, but it's not lighted that way. That is, the lowest 1/4 of it should be in shadow. Also, is it just me or does he seem to have a bit of a backlean?

That, and I find the wings on the helmet to be a bit of a cliché (the whole concept of it). I mean, it makes it look like the guy read too much Asterix as a kid. :P
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:That, and I find the wings on the helmet to be a bit of a cliché (the whole concept of it). I mean, it makes it look like the guy read too much Asterix as a kid. :P
He's a L4. He *must* have lots of decoration in his armor.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Face and staff contrast problem: will correct that in the next version.

Beard problem: while I do note the need for beard variations and approve the concept of "veteran beard", both marshals' helms show little to no amount of chin. Therefore I fear the result would feel hard to read and blurry. But you'll definitely see more beards in the future :lol2:

Golden tunic problem: actually, I did try to give the marshal a tunic of better quality than the lieutenant's, hence the different treatment of light. Unfortunately my choice of color is rather poor... Either I find a better-fitting colour, or I'll simply get rid of that glossy fabric.

Cliché wings: granted, the wings fit rather poorly with the rest of the armour. I included them in order to match the sprite, so I'm afraid they'll have to stay on. Since many
Loyalists wear full plate, I'd rather keep a few distinctive features of the sprite. :wink:
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

you could try purple tunic...

purple was historically a mark of nobility (purple die was expensive) and has been used as such in wesnoth for other portraits.... (at least for older loy portraits)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Skizzaltix

Post by Skizzaltix »

Or red, to go with his cape.
For the decoration on the armor... His chest plate looks a little bare right now--Maybe some more gold leaf on there? Not sure.
I don't really mind the wings, though maybe a larger bolt holding them on? It took me a few seconds to figure out how they were attached.

PS: Love the new avatar ;)
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Instead of doing a second marshal, why don't you make the other one a general? All you'd have to do differently is to tone down the shiny a bit. (I'm just trying to save you work so you don't get tired of doing these.)
Out of curiosity, where do you live? (Unless you'd rather not say.) Your posts go up around 4:00 AM, my time.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

I would guess France. :P

Great work again on the marshal, lieutenant and sergeant, I love looking at this thread every time I log on. Keep up the hard work!

Nice avatar by the way. We're all in on your secret now.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
TrashMan

Post by TrashMan »

Amazing as always LordBob.
Make the other Marshall a bit younger. For diversity sake.
Light travels much faster than sound, that's why some people seem bright until you hear them speak.

>>> MY LITTLE LAB! <<<
faring

Post by faring »

wouldnt that be wierd if used for dialogue? the age changing all the time
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Turuk's guess might be correct, but of course you won't catch me publicly admitting I'm not from Alpha-Centauri B28z :mrgreen:

Regarding the portraits, I do plan to make the second one younger. Combined with his more dynamic pose (drawing his sword) and the lack of a commander's staff, he'll be perfect as a general. Still, my wish in making these two similar portraits is that in dialog scenes both may be used regardless of the actual general/marshal status (for scenarios that would include several of them such as is often the case with orc warlords).
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Turuk wrote:I would guess France. :P
NO! Do not try to guess! It's better to happily live with the idea that he's from other solar system.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Well, the French colony on Alpha-Centauri B28z was what I meant, of course.

We all know he cannot be human.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
hyperactivething

Post by hyperactivething »

Shadow Master wrote:It's better to happily live with the idea that he's from other solar system.
Well, judging from the quality and pace he's shown with his portraits, I'd totally buy that.
Girl, you thought he was a man, but he was a muffin!