What font was used for the legends on the main map?

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

esr
Retired Developer

What font was used for the legends on the main map?

Post by esr »

I want to add some new toponyms to the main map: the Estmark Hills, the River Listra, the Arkan-thoria, etc. To do this, I need to know what font Kestenvarn used for the map legends. Can anyone identify it?

(I have PMed Kestenvarn, but I'm also asking here because he doesn't seem to be around much.)
esr
Retired Developer

Re: What font was used for the legends on the main map?

Post by esr »

I am happy to report that we seem to have identified it. I tried googling for "font identification", went to http://www.fonts.com, answered about 20 questions, and out popped the answer: Monotype Corsiva. A few moments later I found a TTF definition on newfonts.net.
There's now a copy in the wesnoth-resources repo.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Oops, sorry about that. Replied by PM earlier today, didn't see this thread until now.

Monotype Corsiva and/or Carolus Roman
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Something that bothers me is that the edits without Photoshop lose the original effect applied to labels (that brown blending Kest told me about before). That's because the GIMP does not support all the layer effects provided by Photoshop, thus those are dropped during the PSD conversion.

And I assume ESR is using the GIMP, of course.

Solution: emulate them on the .XCF in the wesnoth-resources branch, by using more advanced techniques than just editing a text layer's content and location. ;)
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.