story art

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

LordBob
Portrait Director

Re: story art

Post by LordBob »

Yet another round of generic story art candidates. I'm beginning to feel more at ease with them, so it might not be that long before I start to make story images for tRoW
Want to see more of my art ? Visit my portfolio !
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Nice. My favorite is the swamp. I love how the saurians aren't obvious at first, and then they start popping out.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Ah, I'm glad I pulled that one off 8)

Here are slightly modified versions of the first six pictures, as per Vultraz's earlier suggestions. They can be commited in the generic story art folder - if we even have such a thing. I will likely develop alternates of these, based on different weather conditions/seasons/daytime.

Suggestions are welcome before I tackle the next batch.
Attachments
generic-story-art_01.zip
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 1003 times
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

RE the first one, I still think it could do with a big tree in the background. Right now it seems so empty.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Emptiness plays a part in the storytelling here: it makes the riders the immediate focus of the picture, and because there's nothing in the distance you can feel the loneliness of their situation. It's one of those "less is more" situations: if I were to add a couple of lone trees here and there, it would spoil the effect and still look artificial.

What I might do, however, is produce an alternate version of this same picture with the riders gone and a richer background.

Edit: and another batch done.
Attachments
generic-story-art_02.zip
(1.27 MiB) Downloaded 1339 times
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

New story art dump. They're all images meant for the Rise of Wesnoth ; some of them (the ones in this post) as intro art, others as standalone chapter titles. I have at least ten more in the making, but some are still in progress and others I want to rework either because they're weren't made in the new 16/9 format or do not match the present quality standards I want for my work.

On a side note, I kept working on tRoW stuff behind the scenes even when I wasn't active around here. As several years have passed the style is nothing like what I posted originally, and the paintings as a whole may not have a consistent style as I've been experimenting with different processes at times, but overall they have changed for the better I would say.

I will keep expanding the stock, the aim being to have a different title image for most scenarios in the campaign in a not-too-distant future.
Attachments
intro_0a.jpg
Intro_0b.jpg
Intro_1a.jpg
Intro_1b.jpg
intro_2a.jpg
intro_2b.jpg
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

Scenario story/title screens
Attachments
tRoW_story_01-A_Summer_of_Storms-v2.jpg
tRoW_story_03-A_Harrowing_Escape.jpg
tRoW_story_04b-The-Midlands.jpg
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

Oh, sweet! My favorite is A Harrowing Escape.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

These are great stuff!

Is the set for the intro finished, or will you add even more to it? If it's done then I'll put those in right away, but I'll wait until closer to the 1.13.6 release if not.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

They're not done yet: I'm still working on another 4 for the intro, which I painted on a 4/3 canvas before 16/9 became the desired standard and need to extend as a result. Some will be redundant, so we may want to set a couple aside eventually and reserve them for an end scene, or a different campaign.
LordBob
Portrait Director

Post by LordBob »

A quick edit to the Midlands painting : I figured the bright blue sky didn't quite match the gloomy atmosphere of finding every village within a day's walk burnt down by orcs :doh:

Also a preview of a new painting that is still in progress as I started on it just yesterday. I initially planned for it to illustrate the discovery of the distant continent in the intro, but that makes a lot of ship pictures. So maybe instead it could introduce the scenario where Haldric and his people make land on the Wesnoth continent for the first time ? Judging by scenario names and story content that would be #15, "A New Land".
Attachments
tRoW_story_04b-The-Midlands.jpg
tRoW_story_15-A-New-Land-fixes.jpg
doofus-01
Art Director

Post by doofus-01 »

LordBob wrote:but that makes a lot of ship pictures
They are really nice, even so (especially 2a). And they do seem to have a progression in lighting when seen together.
BfW 1.12 supported, but active development only for BfW 1.13/1.14: Bad Moon Rising | Trinity | Archaic Era |
| Abandoned: Tales of the Setting Sun
GitHub link for these projects
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

A New Land looks good, but if it's going to be the Wesnoth continent, I feel like we should get some hints of action on the shore: when our heroes arrive, elves and dwarves are in the middle of a battle. Maybe we could see some forts or even figures at the highest resolution.
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

LordBob wrote:Also a preview of a new painting that is still in progress as I started on it just yesterday. I initially planned for it to illustrate the discovery of the distant continent in the intro, but that makes a lot of ship pictures. So maybe instead it could introduce the scenario where Haldric and his people make land on the Wesnoth continent for the first time ? Judging by scenario names and story content that would be #15, "A New Land".
Yeah, it fits like a glove there.
beetlenaut wrote:A New Land looks good, but if it's going to be the Wesnoth continent, I feel like we should get some hints of action on the shore: when our heroes arrive, elves and dwarves are in the middle of a battle. Maybe we could see some forts or even figures at the highest resolution.
I'm not that sure we should. The elves and dwarves aren't in the middle of a battle yet, they're just having a heated argument and maybe preparing for battle. More importantly, having everything look calm and wonderful from the sea plays into the joke of them getting immediately attacked by not one but two factions of hostile natives before they even get to finish a sentence when they finally make landfall.
vultraz
Developer

Post by vultraz »

Also, you forget in the intro it talks about the discovery of Wesnoth before the campaign reaches it.
Creator of Shadows of Deception (for 1.12) and co-creator of the Era of Chaos (for 1.12/1.13).
SurvivalXtreme rocks!!!
What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?