kitty's elvish portraits

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:
Kestenvarn wrote: He should have something to protect his arms, shouldn't he?
Because the quiver is on his right shoulder, it means he's right handed and just happens to hold the bow in his right hand (a right handed archer holds the bow in the left hand and picks arrows and pulls with the right one). Hence, he would have the wrist protection in the left wrist which is not visible.
Even if that is the case - holding the bow in the wrong hand just for a mug shot - with such loose sleeves he'd still probably wear something on both of his wrists.

Also, what about the gloves?
Neoskel
Art Contributor

Post by Neoskel »

He's an elf. Elves don't need no stinking gloves. They probably draw (the bowstring) better without gloves.
ulissesroc

Post by ulissesroc »

I would have imagined something smaller for his right ear. But maybe I'm too influenced by the lord of the rings movie ;)
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

OK...so I stand corrected on the handedness thing...
I think that if there's anything wrong with this portrait it's that he's lacking some kind of leather cuirass or something like that. Right now he looks a bit more like the huntsman sort than someone ready for war.
And since elvish archers come in both male and female, shouldn't there be a female portrait as well?
IndieTrannie

Post by IndieTrannie »

Kitty: I can't wait to see where you do next.

As to elven handedness: Sgt. Groovy caught on my concern more, it's the bow being in the hand that the quiver indicates to be the on-hand that I find strange. It doesn't need to be fixed since it may not even be an error, it's just a little strange when you see it the first time.

Archers in the game don't have a glove on their right hand.

We'll leave it to kitty to decide whether she wants female portraits. (though I think it would be a good idea so that they remain relatively consistent for the unit as a whole.)
Allright! Now go out there and win one for the zipper!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

Wow - 23 answers since yesterday! :shock:

I've got a new version and changed basically everything except face and hat.
he is right-handed now and has his arrows in an quiver at his belt. he has no wrist protection yet - not for technical but for artistic reasons. :razz:

my next attempt will be a female version like a few of you have requested...

@federalist marshall: thank you! i've tried to implement your suggestion to make him less a ranger and more a warrior. what do you think?

@ullisesroc: generally i like smaller elvish ears more, too - but look at the sprite...

@kestenvarn: the feather has a new shadow - is it less floating now?

@groovy: is the bow short enough?

@indietrannie: thank you for your archery explanation. i've never had the thought that quiver and bow have to be on opposite sides. but it's logical.

@cuyo: i think wide, loose shirts are typical medieval - they had no spandex... but the shirt is changed nevertheless to make him more of a fighter.
Attachments
archer03.png
archer03.png (49.76 KiB) Viewed 5191 times
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

kitty wrote:Wow - 23 answers since yesterday! :shock:

I've got a new version and changed basically everything except face and hat.
he is right-handed now and has his arrows in an quiver at his belt. he has no wrist protection yet - not for technical but for artistic reasons. :razz:

my next attempt will be a female version like a few of you have requested...

@federalist marshall: thank you! i've tried to implement your suggestion to make him less a ranger and more a warrior. what do you think?

@ullisesroc: generally i like smaller elvish ears more, too - but look at the sprite...

@kestenvarn: the feather has a new shadow - is it less floating now?

@groovy: is the bow short enough?

@indietrannie: thank you for your archery explanation. i've never had the thought that quiver and bow have to be on opposite sides. but it's logical.

@cuyo: i think wide, loose shirts are typical medieval - they had no spandex... but the shirt is changed nevertheless to make him more of a fighter.
Much better, but what happened to the chainmail? :P
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

xer, what do you mean with "what happened to the chainmail" :?:
Unnheulu

Post by Unnheulu »

Well, it just doesn't look...right.
mameluke

Post by mameluke »

@kitty
I think the image with the green dress fits much more!
It's exactly how the unit looks -> http://www.xs4all.nl/~roadie/wesnoth_un ... rcher.html

Also the arrows are on his back like you did it from beginning.

I think the new bow-placement is an improvment.

My proposal is to change the bow like you did now (chainmail-pic) in the image with the green dress but leave the arrows.
Or even better: also change the arrows to the other shoulder. Because I think you grap them from the same side where your arm is.
(And he graps them with his left arm, doesn't he?) (So he definitly is lefthanded!) (Change bow and arrows that he is righthanded?) (flip image?)

See the images in the wikipedia. They show that an archer is holding his bow in the left hand:
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bogensch%C3%BCtze
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archery

Conclusion:
* The arrows should be on this shoulder where the arm holds no bow.
* If he is rigthanded he holds the bow in the left hand.
* This all matters only when he is ready to fight.

I hope this helps, even though I'm not an artist.
Last edited by mameluke on January 15th, 2008, 9:27 pm, edited 6 times in total.
I don't see any problems with an elf-woman hitting somebody with a mace...
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

kitty wrote:I've got a new version and changed basically everything except face and hat.
I like your hands as much as the faces.

New pose looks good, but I think he is actually left-handed now. Unsure.
Feather is close enough now, just needs the point to look a little more stuck in the hat.
Chainmail may look better sleeveless to give a more varied appearance. (VVV Or just getting rid of it. VVV)
Last edited by Kestenvarn on January 15th, 2008, 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The bow placement is much better. The quiver placement is much more realistic, but the layman won't register it as well as the Robin HOod quiver on the back look, i prefer (from a game PoV, though the nitpicker in me disagrees) the latter. The chest size is better too.

The chainmail i don't like - the archer sprites don't seem to be armoured at all, and their resistances reflect that. PLus, it doesn't share the same soft painted stryle of the rest of the work, i don't think it fits. A rework of that image with the green tunic would be fantastically good.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I would tend to agree that the green tunic would fit better. The elves don't have higher than usual resistance to damage, but they do have high defence in the forest. This suggest that they are rather agile and hard to hit and use natural cover than wear armour.

The green dress could also feature some kind of leaf-print, both because the elves are aesthetic people, and to give them some camouflage.

The bow is better now, actually it's only the marksmen and sharpshooters who have longbows, the archers use a regular one.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Trau

Post by Trau »

Oh, sorry, I meant the Elvish fighter wears the chain or scale vest, the archer I'm pretty certain did not wear armor. :oops:
Federalist marshal
Art Contributor

Post by Federalist marshal »

I'm glad you've taken my advice into consideration, but the mail simply doesn't fit elves. Elves are masters of nature, and I doubt they ever really cared to forge anything for war beside arrowheads and swords. The sprites seem to reflect this, as all elves never wear anything more than a cuirass made of...leather, I think, and some various other pieces of armor. Mail seems more suited to dwarves; I've seen many dwarf sprites with mail, not to mention that the Dwarvish fighter portrait shows him wearing mail. Humans get plate armor, so that wouldn't fit too well either...
Really I don't know what armor best fits elves; I only know what doesn't.

And how come nobody listens to me when I suggest a female portrait? Wouldn't it be awkward if a female archer talks and a male portrait shows up next to the text?