kitty's elvish portraits

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Post by JW »

kitty wrote:just to show where i am going. this is not finished!

@ jw, db0, ulissesroc, anakayub, zhukov, marshall, spaceinvader: thanks! :)
You're very welcome! God, she's so gorgeous...I'm really hoping you do/redo all the female portraits in the game! :D
yobbo
Art Contributor

Post by yobbo »

Re: the glow on the vines, I was expecting the small green seed bits to turn into magic sparkles or fireflies.

Pardon my quick hack to show what I mean:

btw I like your elves :).
Attachments
sparkles
sparkles
sparkles.png (26.12 KiB) Viewed 4182 times
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

kitty wrote:but i would really like to understand it and improve the portrait!
Basically, what Kest was saying is that due to gravity, the arm being held up should have the actual sleeve, due to a combination of the arm being stretched pulling it back, as well as gravity pulling it down, would be...pooled... by her elbow, where it would catch and stay.

However, due to the length and nature of your shirt, the friction was enough, and the angle was too little to cause it be pulled down.

If you want a better description, and don't mind spending a bit of money, see if you can get a copy of "Dynamic Wrinkles and Folds," I can't rememer the author of the top of my head, but it's incredibly helpful! I think there are a few pages of it online somewhere, to give people a preview, I'll see if I can find it ;)
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Thrawn wrote:If you want a better description, and don't mind spending a bit of money, see if you can get a copy of "Dynamic Wrinkles and Folds," I can't rememer the author of the top of my head...
"Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery." Author is named Burne Hogarth.

And yeah, it's an incredibly helpful book. If a little long winded.
db0

Post by db0 »

Sorry Kitty, I couldn't wait until you ended your drawing spree before I acted. :oops:
You now have an album to your name. If you register I'll grant you ownership ;)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:
Thrawn wrote:If you want a better description, and don't mind spending a bit of money, see if you can get a copy of "Dynamic Wrinkles and Folds," I can't rememer the author of the top of my head...
"Dynamic Wrinkles and Drapery." Author is named Burne Hogarth.

And yeah, it's an incredibly helpful book. If a little long winded.
Seconded; I haven't seen any other books that really try to tackle/systematize the subject, so it's invaluable IMHO. Never seen anything else that tried to break it down into bite-sized pieces and make it manageable.

Anyways, I should probably begin committing these to SVN, very soon.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

db0 wrote:You now have an album to your name.
*blinks*

Why add the unfinished versions?
db0

Post by db0 »

Kestenvarn wrote:
db0 wrote:You now have an album to your name.
*blinks*

Why add the unfinished versions?
I added everything for consistency. Since tags are being used, WiP images are not necessary cluttering. Also, I didn't want to make any decisions on what to keep or remove as it's Kitty's choice and she may want to say, put them in a subalbum as a history.

Honestly, I'm deciding as I go still. If you're interested in helping me figure our a nice way to organise, please contact me or let's start a new thread

Apologies for sidetracking btw. Please continue :)
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

The overall lighting scheme is sort of ill defined. The shadow under her chin and the left arm clearly indicate a directional light source in the viewer's top right, but the lighting of the staff is completely opposite. This could weel be secondary light reflected from the face, and that's ok, but the staff should also receive the same primary light as the arm and the face. The rest of the figure doesn't show the same pattern, the right arm seem to illuminated directly from above, and the lower parts receive only diffuse ambient light.

If you're using a photograph for reference, you might need to not follow it's lighting too closely, for example it might be a good idea to compensate the attenuation to give an impression of more distant light source.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Shadow

Post by Shadow »

Yep it is better.
@Sgt. Groovy

The spell itself seems to be a light source itself. Shrugs shoulders, matter of opinion I guess.
... all romantics meet the same fate someday
Cynical and drunk and boring someone in some dark cafe ...
All good dreamers pass this way some day
Hidin’ behind bottles in dark cafes
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Yes it might, and it's already illuminating at least the hand below it, but it still doesn't account for the inconsistensies. For example, the knuckles of the hand holding the staff receive a lot of light from somewhere above, yet the top of the headpiece is practically in shadow.

The way I see it, there should be three sources of light, the primary being daylight from above right, focused and unidirectional. The secondary would be the magic thing, point light withing the image and probably of different colour than the daylight (maybe greenish). The tertiary light would be ambient, diffuse from all directions plus radiosity from the brightest parts (namely the face).
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

only a short answer, i don't have that much time now...

i stated that this is a wip! i don't consider the lightning finished. no discussion about it is needed (now). it will get changed along the way :)
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

Again I'd like to express my compliments.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

i think i made some improvements: - right sleeve is down, - staff is gnarled, - lightning is more consistant, i hope (i wanted the main lightsource to be top-right and a secondary one to the left).

any comments?

@ yobbo: your sparkles are really nice! i included them :)

@ thrawn: i read about the hogarth book sometime, but haven't got a copy yet. it sounds really interesting and usefull!

@ db0: this tagged gallery is a great project! i'm registering right now to get rid of the preliminary versions of the portraits
Attachments
shaman04.png
shaman04.png (97.02 KiB) Viewed 3730 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

The staff looks much better =) as does the whole thing. One alteration i would make is to make HER left sleeve looser to match the changes to the right one.

Great work as usual =D
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.