Master Bowman portrait (thespaceinvader's)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Iris
Site Administrator

Master Bowman portrait (thespaceinvader's)

Post by Iris »

Shadow Master wrote:Hello

I just want to ask if your Master Bowman portrait is ready, in your opinion. I'll talk with Jetryl and commit it if you agree.

Regards
Shadow Master
thespaceinvader wrote:IMO it is, yes. Thanks =)
What say you? May I commit this and update the WML accordingly? I am asking here because the great artists seem not to wander around the regular Art Contributions forum anymore, or at least they are not commenting/moving to Art Workshop this stuff.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Go for it, it fits rather well with the rest of them.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Kestenvarn wrote:Go for it, it fits rather well with the rest of them.
I know your opinion, we already talked about this on IRC. :lol:
But I'm waiting for Jetryl's approval.

Since 1.3.10 is about to be tagged, I'm commiting this right away.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Thrawn
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Thrawn »

...I'm not Jetryl, but I see some problems with this (problems that recur in several of spaceinvaders's art. I'll try and edit it tomorrow.

if anyone else wants to get to it first, the problems as I see them are:

1. The cloak is somewhat funky. He didn't seem to take Jet's suggestion to simplify it to match other instances of cloaks in Lute's work.

2. The shoulder away from us isn't drawn properly as in the HI portrait)

3. line thickness on some parts drawn from scratch

4. the roughness of the line denoting the side of his face

5. Blurriness of the bow

This being said, the portrait is clearly (at least to me) in the category of better than not having one. The fixes aren't going to be that much of a problem to make.

--I'll just have to see if SI minds me making the corrections.
...please remember that "IT'S" ALWAYS MEANS "IT IS" and "ITS" IS WHAT YOU USE TO INDICATE POSSESSION BY "IT".--scott

this goes for they're/their/there as well
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Thrawn wrote:...I'm not Jetryl, but I see some problems with this (problems that recur in several of spaceinvaders's art. I'll try and edit it tomorrow.

[...]

This being said, the portrait is clearly (at least to me) in the category of better than not having one. The fixes aren't going to be that much of a problem to make.

--I'll just have to see if SI minds me making the corrections.
I don't think he minds, after all, his artwork got automatically GNU GPL-ed by my commit, and he does not seem to care much about it current state right now. He seems to be rather busy with the Heavy Infantryman portrait, which I personally don't like much. But I'm no artist. :wink:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This is "arguably" ready for inclusion, but I would really prefer if thrawn had a go at improving it before we commit it. All of the complaints he listed are pretty much exactly what I was going to gripe about.

So don't feel timid about fixing spaceinvader's art - in fact, your doing it would probably do him a favor, since you might demonstrate some things that he's having a hard time fixing on his own - allowing him to see the solution in a much shorter period of time. Besides being good for productivity, collaboration also leads to fast learning on the part of those involved.