Because I rock I deserve my own topic.

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Sorry that I was away, I fell ill this week and really wasn't capable of doing anything due to a terrible stomach ache;
:( Bummer, sorry to hear that.
Neoriceisgood wrote:perhaps the best step to take now is to fully animate one of the 1st stage drakes, like the fighter or burner?
Yes, either one of those two would be excellent.
Doc Paterson
Drake Cartographer

Post by Doc Paterson »

Great job, though I'll really miss the blueish skin of the old Clasher.

(On a related note, glad to see that you ended up keeping the grayish skin tones of the old Burner.)
I will not tell you my corner / where threads don't get locked because of mostly no reason /
because I don't want your hostile disease / to spread all over the world.
I prefer that corner to remain hidden /
without your noses.
-Nosebane, Sorcerer Supreme
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I'm mentally preparing for being usefull.

no but really, after a week of being sick I suddenly felt inspired to finish this: http://neoriceisgood.deviantart.com/art ... n-63845312

and then school starter.

so yeah, next up..drakes.

maybe.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

Believe in yourself. Not in the me that believes in you. Not in the you that believes in me. Believe in the you that believes in yourself.

ORE O DARE DA TO OMOTTE YAGARU?
I suspect having one foot in the past is the best way to understand the present.

Don Hewitt.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Sup.

We need directional movement and directional attacks nowadays right?
Attachments
glider directions 1
glider directions 1
drake-glider.png (10.62 KiB) Viewed 7384 times
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Sup.

We need directional movement and directional attacks nowadays right?
Depends on who you ask.

In any case, getting base frames and basic animations done is a requirement for using the new sprites, whereas directional animations are not (which means that they are naturally much less important to have).
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Okay so the priority is getting all frames in the standard diagonal position? That's good, I'll focus on doing those first then.

What do we need nowadays?

-flying

-both attacks

-defend

-death

Are animations for being hit and stuff required?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Neoriceisgood wrote:Okay so the priority is getting all frames in the standard diagonal position? That's good, I'll focus on doing those first then.

What do we need nowadays?

-flying

-both attacks

-defend

-death
Yes, all of those. Although death animations have the least priority I suppose (and we might want to do them utilizing all the fancy effects the new animation engine grants us, or soon will, so I'd not advice rushing into drawing them; I currently have a few ideas on those fancy effects).
Neoriceisgood wrote:Are animations for being hit and stuff required?
Well usually the defend animation is the same regardless of whether the hit landed or not, but we can do animations for pretty much any conditions with the current engine if we want to.

One thing I'd rather see is different standing frames for melee and ranged combat (the frame that's displayed in combat when no attack or defend animation is playing). Actually, that's what we need for units that wield several weapons, so that the same weapon stays visible for the whole fight. For the drakes I suppose only the clasher line needs this (since only it uses several weapons), but you can use the same system for giving the unit a more active combat pose and have the normal base frame be more relaxed.

An example of this is the old drake flare: the base frame is ok (having the sword rest point down in the ground), but it looks really silly when he sticks it back several times during the fight, between strikes. So in a case like that, we'd actually want a melee standing frame for it, so that he doesn't go into the relaxed base frame any time during combat. The attack and defend animations would flow from this "combat standing frame", instead of from the base frame.

EDIT: If that doesn't sound clear, then just look at how for example the elves (fighter and archer lines) are animated: a full set of attack, standing and defense frames for both the sword and the bow.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

zookeeper wrote:
One thing I'd rather see is different standing frames for melee and ranged combat (the frame that's displayed in combat when no attack or defend animation is playing).
I don't think there is such an anim... more specifically the unit stays on the last frame of the previous anim (you probably know that, I just wanted to make sure. if not, feel free to discuss it with me on IRC)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Boucman wrote:
zookeeper wrote:
One thing I'd rather see is different standing frames for melee and ranged combat (the frame that's displayed in combat when no attack or defend animation is playing).
I don't think there is such an anim... more specifically the unit stays on the last frame of the previous anim (you probably know that, I just wanted to make sure. if not, feel free to discuss it with me on IRC)
Yes, there is: the first and last frames of the defend and attack animations. ;) Exactly the ones we've used for quite some time now for the bow/sword -wielding units.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

ok, so we agree, that's good :)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

The last frames of an animation become the "default" idle stance during battle?

I never knew..
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

it hasn't always been the case, this feature has disapeared and reapeared multiple times as zookeeper and me tested different ways of handling that problem...
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

Great progress, but, who did say "the artist should adapt the tools to his drawings, not the drawings adapt to the tools"?

If nobody did, then I have just said it. Nice, reonice.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.