Because I rock I deserve my own topic.

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Neoriceisgood wrote: :( what are the problems according to you then?
Mostly palette, I find it to bright and saturated.

I'm also not to fond of the breastplates. If they are to be male they shouldn't have such large breasts imo :) I also think the breastplates should be one continuous piece with a more uniform form as these usually have.

As for the wimpy look I think this is because of what I have written above together with the fact that the armor is very ornate and seems more ceremonial than purely functional in combat.

The old ones have a "gritty combat veteran" look, I like that.

Besides this I find them to be good in shape, shading and form.
Sapient wrote: And what's wrong if they are all female sprites? We have all-male represented factions too. I agree with you though; it's a bit tooo round if you want them to look male.
Didn't say it was anything wrong with them being female, but I was under the assumption they where male and that's why it was a question and not a statement.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Even if they're female, breasts are a bit too human I'd say. It's a different race so they can and should differ in build from humans. Only TV shows with limited budget need to stay close or costumes will get hairy...
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

it's a bit tooo round if you want them to look male.
I seem to remeber that this has been covered before in another thread, but the drakes are reptiles, and as such their secondary sexual characteristic can't be expected to be anything like human (even among other mammals they can be quite different), and they definitely will not have breasts.

Of course, since they are somewhat humanoid in form, it can be confusing if they appear to have particulary (human) gendered characteristics, such as skirt-like apparel together with breast-like chest plates. While there is no reason why the fighters among drakes couldn't be female by default (while the males are at home incubating eggs and caring for the young), it should not be a reason for them to have feminine outlook in human terms.
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
irrevenant
Moderator Emeritus

Post by irrevenant »

torangan wrote:Even if they're female, breasts are a bit too human I'd say.
I tend to agree. Reptiles don't suckle their young, that's a mammalian trait.

Perhaps they could be flat-chested like a crocodile? http://www.picture-newsletter.com/croco ... ile-13.jpg

If you wanted to experiment with making them look more reptilian you could maybe even move the location of their shoulders down the torso a little (again, like the crocodile)? Just a thought.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Drakes are fantasy creatures, not reptiles :twisted:

That aside; The round chest is due to the armor, not due to their bodies; and I never intended to give them flesh boobs, the armor just made it appear that way;

here's a new fix of the drakes, with 2 alternative colour scemes as well.
Attachments
drakechanges2.png
drakechanges2.png (27.41 KiB) Viewed 29640 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Much improved, I like the alternative coloration and the chest armor looks way better now. Claw-hands look cool also.

Jetryl has a point about red wings though, maybe make it less saturated to make it less likely to be mistaken for team color would be good.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Also did this today
Attachments
Drakegliderchange1.png
Drakegliderchange1.png (8.29 KiB) Viewed 29597 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

YESS... these are looking much nicer. The way the claw-blades came out was a pleasant surprise.

I'm also liking the alternate color schemes by quite a bit.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Jetryl wrote:YESS... these are looking much nicer. The way the claw-blades came out was a pleasant surprise.

I'm also liking the alternate color schemes by quite a bit.
oh shut up and kiss me.

That reminds me, can anyone of you like, make a quick picture of the drakes on a BG with Tcolour?

I'm curious as how they look with non-red armor.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Yeah, the first column's gold trimmed armor looks a lot better than the second's silver.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Neoriceisgood wrote:oh shut up and kiss me.
Careful whatcha ask for... :roll:

Neoriceisgood wrote:That reminds me, can anyone of you like, make a quick picture of the drakes on a BG with Tcolour?

I'm curious as how they look with non-red armor.
Sure, see below.

This is really the crux of why I was suggesting non-red wings; IMO the blue, purple, and teal colors look a little goofy in combination with the red wings.
Attachments
drakeGlider-TC.png
drakeGlider-TC.png (85.06 KiB) Viewed 29545 times
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

ah, I was kind of hoping you'd do all 3.

Well, perhaps having the wings around the same colour as the drakes themself couldn't hurt, it does help with bringing out the Tcolour more.
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Much better.

He Neo you leave the wings all in the same position. You could also change there position a bit (unfolded or changed position) in higher levels to show that they are part of the drake (could also be a good idle animation).

Just throwing ideas around.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
allefant
Units Database Administrator

Post by allefant »

@allefant
I like to compare dragons to the old medieval european dragons who were just big reptiles with wings and to draco Razz
Maybe that level 3 just has something like this then: http://www.currumbin-sanctuary.org.au/g ... dragon.jpg

But should be up to Neo anyway.. I better don't distract any more from the excellent work in this thread :)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

wayfarer wrote:Much better.

He Neo you leave the wings all in the same position. You could also change there position a bit (unfolded or changed position) in higher levels to show that they are part of the drake (could also be a good idle animation).

Just throwing ideas around.
I don't think they'd really fit in 74x74 if unfolded.