Liberty map request

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Liberty map request

Post by zookeeper »

As you might have noticed, Liberty has been mainlined in trunk just recently. Now, there are a few little problems with it.

First of all, it needs a proper map. Here's my hopefully detailed enough request for one:

Same style as the HttT map (read: edited out of it). Zoomed-in to the Wesmere/Elensefar area, pretty much as in my sketch. Labels possibly only for relevant locations (so Gryphon Mount and Bay of Pearls for example can be omitted). Needed labels: Dallben, Delwyn, Elensefar, Halstead, Carcyn, Wesmere Forest, Grey Woods, maybe Aldril too since it's so near and maybe Ford of Abez. Ragged edges on all sides, the parchment folds can however you wish.

Have Dallben and Delwyn be on the north/northwest side of the Wesmere forest, and have some less dense forestation around there (as the scenario maps of that region are for the most part forest). Just a handful of trees around the two towns should do it. Glamdrol and Rumyr would need to be removed. Rumyr can stay if we decide that it's a bigger orcish settlement, but in that case it could be moved a bit further north/northeast. I don't mind the specifics of how the surroundings of Dallben and Delwyn look like, but the scenario maps in that area quite clearly show lots of forestation, so there will probably have to be at least some trees. If you want to separate the mini-forest a bit more from the Wesmere forest, feel free to do so with some little hills or a river. You can even move the locations of those towns a bit, as long as they don't get too far north (up to 30px higher up in my sketch for Dallben is probably ok), anywhere inside the green coloured area is acceptable. Feel free to use your artistic license.

If it's not much trouble, having the Grey Woods extend a little bit closer to Carcyn (as sketched) would be nice too. Not very important though.

Do note that at least terrain changes probably need to be propagated to the title screen map and the HttT map. Dallben and Delwyn are small enough towns and the campaign takes place about almost two decades before HttT does so it's perhaps not necessary to add the towns to the other maps (or remove Glamdrol etc from them).

Jetryl and Kestenvarn seem to be the two people dealing in these maps, so I suppose I'm mainly asking you two about this. If there wasn't a need to include any terrain changes for this map in the title screen and HttT maps I'd just ask for the working files of the HttT map and edit this out of it myself, but if the existing maps need to be modified accordingly afterwards that's not necessarily a good idea. Or what do you think?
Attachments
liberty-bigmap-request.jpg
liberty-bigmap-request.jpg (88.3 KiB) Viewed 5020 times
esr
Retired Developer

You've placed tne villages too far north

Post by esr »

Several campaigns imply that the Geat River is Wesnoth's northern border. So I think the two villages need to be located south of Elensefar rather than north of it. The unmarked castle south of Elensefar could do for Halstead.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

After resorting to sheer frankensteining of wesnoth.png, I managed to create something decent enough to use.

However, I'm a bit unsure as to where to place Dallben and Delwyn. As placed in my original proposal above seems to work ok, but having the towns a bit closer to home, so to speak, is tempting. Here's three possible locations. I think in the bottom one they're way too far south, and in the top one I've actually shrunk and moved the Wesmere Forest a bit to make space.
Attachments
dallben-delwyn.jpg
dallben-delwyn.jpg (174.84 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

I like the top ones.

Made from that simplified psd I was working on.

Heir to the Throne version.