fire dragon redo

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Re: fire dragon redo

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

If you meant the position of the wings to be symmetrical in relation to the body, then they aren't. This is how the position (as a top view) looks to me:
Attachments
path3162.png
path3162.png (8.59 KiB) Viewed 20383 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

I know. :( The wing closer to us should be extended more, but the hex limitations strike again:
Attachments
Click for better view
Click for better view
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Cernunnos
Art Contributor

Post by Cernunnos »

Hi,

Really nice dragon, just asking,
The other dragon seems to have its wings in a resting position, while yours seem to have its wings extended,
Making its wings in a similar position than the other would save place and maybe look more natural for a standing stance?

As i said really nice, this is just a question, do as you want of course.

bye.
"While portrait art may be where Wesnoth gets its glamour, and sprite art may be where Wesnoth gets its zest, it's the terrain art that's so crucial to Wesnoth's polish - it's the canvas that the rest goes on." Sangel
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Since all the animations need to fit within the hex and its surrounding hexes, I left the wings open so they can be used rather directly for movement animations. The wings would look too small when resting (which they are even now when they're open). They also add to the intimidation value.

Thanks for asking, though. :) I might have to put the wings down, if they really won't work the way they are...
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Eternal wrote:Since all the animations need to fit within the hex and its surrounding hexes, I left the wings open so they can be used rather directly for movement animations.
IIRC, according to Boucman, this is no longer true. They can be as big as you want them to be.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

:shock:

Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

turin wrote:
Eternal wrote:Since all the animations need to fit within the hex and its surrounding hexes, I left the wings open so they can be used rather directly for movement animations.
IIRC, according to Boucman, this is no longer true. They can be as big as you want them to be.
I second that* :)

* in 1.5 of course. this has not been backported to 1.4
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

1.4 compatibility does not matter (or should not matter, for that case) anyway. No more releases of the 1.4 series are planned and all new artwork should go to 1.5.
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

What is the status of this fire dragon redo? It looks really promising and I would *love* to see it included in 1.6. Any estimate on when it will be ready for commit?
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Alright. After a really fun football training session (american football, not soccer) I realized something.
I've had plenty of free time, which I've used so fruitlessly, that it makes me feel ashamed. I could've wrapped this dragon a long time ago, if I had set my mind to it. :annoyed:

I'm going to slap myself every morning as a reminder to get this thing done. And now that I have the latest version on the webs, I can continue it with MSPAINT at work!

Now, is the wing perspective problem still there? I also fear it doesn't have enough hues, but such can be done later I think.

:D It's also very lovely to see animating this won't be hard at all, thanks to pixelmind! GJ!
Attachments
dragon_progress9001.png
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

You could basically flip the part of the rear wing we can see horizontally, fix the issue and it would still look fine, IMO. Also, it feels like the chest ought to be a decent amount deeper. Otherwise, looking good, keep it up.
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

thespaceinvader wrote:You could basically flip the part of the rear wing we can see horizontally, fix the issue and it would still look fine, IMO. Also, it feels like the chest ought to be a decent amount deeper. Otherwise, looking good, keep it up.
Seconded.

Eternal wrote:It's also very lovely to see animating this won't be hard at all, thanks to pixelmind! GJ!
Yeah, no kidding. I think this is something that I (just using myself as an example) could pull off, now, but a year ago, it would have been so intimidating that even though I probably could have slogged through it, the intimidation actually pushes it over the edge into being -impossible-. Intimidation is strange that way.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

Flipped the wing. Detail starting to show up. Is the detail style good or do you want regular boring bat wings? :P

Also, by deeper chest, do you mean it has to bulge out more, or be more flat?
Attachments
dragu.png
dragu.png (5.13 KiB) Viewed 18056 times
thespaceinvader
Retired Art Director

Post by thespaceinvader »

Personally, I'd prefer at least some semblance of 'fingers' in the wings, to match the Drakes, but I'd say don't make them too obvious. And by deeper, I mean that the plates between his front legs should be further down., If this computer has paint, i'lldo a quick once over.
Attachments
dragu.png
dragu.png (6.29 KiB) Viewed 18046 times
http://thespaceinvader.co.uk | http://thespaceinvader.deviantart.com
Back to work. Current projects: Catching up on commits. Picking Meridia back up. Sprite animations, many and varied.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:eng: One major thing that would improve this dragon would be a second color ramp. The colors on this are a good choice, but it needs some other colors to go with it.

I also agree with giving the chest/belly more volume.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!