fire dragon redo

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

fire dragon redo

Post by Eleazar »

I was working on a update of the fire dragon so it didn't look so cute and because it can now go outside of the hex on many frames.

But it doesn't look like i'll have time in the near future to finish. Someone can take over if they wish.

attached is a layered PSD
Attachments
fire-dragon.png
fire-dragon.png (11.03 KiB) Viewed 27519 times
fire-dragon.psd.zip
(136.26 KiB) Downloaded 1349 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

This was ... perhaps the only sprite neo made for wesnoth in his -old- style, the one he meddled with before he made the drakes. It was lacking, to be polite, and I think anyone, including him, would opt for a complete redo.

If eternal ever wanted to kick ass, and have no qualms about size constraints, this would be the time. I'd be itching to do this, except that I have a huge to-do list. :|

Tell, me, eternal, do you taste blood? :twisted:
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

:shock: :shock: :shock:
Jetryl wrote:Tell, me, eternal, do you taste blood? :twisted:
Hell yeah. :twisted:
I wish I had more time in my hands.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Or use Neo's Red Wyvern image (his other red dragon). It looks great and only needs to be animated.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Dude, that was my first contribution to Wesnoth .ever.

Why the hell hasn't it been replaced yet to begin with? :?
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Eternal
Art Contributor

Re: fire dragon redo

Post by Eternal »

Sorry for necroing this up.

There has been actual progress in redoing the fire dragon. I decided to put this hideous not-yet-ready piece in here for all to see and comment on.
I will state also that what you see here is not done entirely by me; Jetryl's blocks were a big help and without his advice I couldn't have made it like it is now.

I'm a bit stuck with what to do with the front plates (the olive coloured ones). Shading them seems exceedingly difficult.
Nevertheless, I tasted blood:
Attachments
dragon-progress-sofar.png
dragon-progress-sofar.png (10.37 KiB) Viewed 24825 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eternal wrote:Sorry for necroing this up.
There is nothing wrong with thread necromancy when it's for a good reason. If the project is ongoing, reviving the thread related to it is fine.
Eternal wrote:I'm a bit stuck with what to do with the front plates (the olive coloured ones). Shading them seems exceedingly difficult.
Nevertheless, I tasted blood:
I'll see if I can dork around with it over the next few nights.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

i don't know anything about spriting - but isn't the problem with the breast plates that they aren't centered? i'd assume they should taper towards a line at the center of his breast - yours look like they are viewed from the side.
i hope that makes sense...
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

kitty wrote:i don't know anything about spriting - but isn't the problem with the breast plates that they aren't centered? i'd assume they should taper towards a line at the center of his breast - yours look like they are viewed from the side.
i hope that makes sense...
Hmm... I'm not sure if you are mistaken from the shape of those plates.
They are tetrahedron-like and interlope heavily. They are too "sharp" for us to see the other side in the image so the right outer lines are edges of two sides.
I hope this messy messy image shows what I mean:
Attachments
exampl.png
exampl.png (32.08 KiB) Viewed 24184 times
kitty
Retired Portrait Director

Post by kitty »

ah - thanks for the explanation! but you know, if they don't look that way, or only if you know how it is planned - it could be worthwhile to rethink the concept. another pose for the dragon could make it clearer, too - but that would be way too much work...
however, i just realized that i forgot to add how entirely awesome this beast looks! keep it up! i can't even imagine how cool he'll look animated ingame! i'll shut up now.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

I can see the shape of the breast plates as you meant, but they still look like a side view to me. Here's how I think the edges should go (the green lines) when viewed from the Wesnoth angle. As for shading, every plate should be shadowing the one beneath it (the inset):
Attachments
dragon-progress-sofar2.png
dragon-progress-sofar2.png (13.67 KiB) Viewed 23599 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

kitty wrote:ah - thanks for the explanation! but you know, if they don't look that way, or only if you know how it is planned - it could be worthwhile to rethink the concept. another pose for the dragon could make it clearer, too - but that would be way too much work...
You are right. I'll try and shuffle up a new concept, but I'll also try to fix the current one. Thanks for the advice! :D

As for the fixing...
Sgt. Groovy wrote:I can see the shape of the breast plates as you meant, but they still look like a side view to me. Here's how I think the edges should go (the green lines) when viewed from the Wesnoth angle. As for shading, every plate should be shadowing the one beneath it (the inset):
I'll align the plates with the green lines and see what'll happen. This thread might sink a little now since I've got plenty of business with school at the moment... but we'll see.
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

The more I looked at them, the more unhappy I was with the old plates. I did what kitty proposed.

I also started to rework the wings since the old ones were just too small. I know this doesn't help with the sprite being way too large for comfort.

It would also seem I have "competition" :P Something I'm very happy about, really. :) I'm quite bored to death with this sprite and animating it would be an enormous drag.
It was my original desire to pull something like this through all by myself. Do something I'd be remembered for, instead of just being the guy who starts something and lets someone else finish it.
Attachments
dragon-plates-plus-new-wings.png
dragon-plates-plus-new-wings.png (4.05 KiB) Viewed 21732 times
Eternal
Art Contributor

Post by Eternal »

The other wing...
Attachments
dragon-plates-plus-new-wings2.png
dragon-plates-plus-new-wings2.png (4.3 KiB) Viewed 21482 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Damn, I forgot about this guy but he's really good. I like his cragginess and colors.