Differentiating Gryphons

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Differentiating Gryphons

Post by Eleazar »

Currently the L1 and L2 Gryphons are identical beside the rider.
Without going through all the trouble of completely redoing the creature, simply using a smaller head on the L1 would help distinguish them like so:
Attachments
gryphons.png
gryphons.png (5.66 KiB) Viewed 8026 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Re: Differentiating Gryphons

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:Currently the L1 and L2 Gryphons are identical beside the rider.
Without going through all the trouble of completely redoing the creature, simply using a smaller head on the L1 would help distinguish them like so:
I approve of the idea, but in reverse; I'd like to edit the L2 instead. I'd also like to do bigger changes.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Jetryl wrote:
Eleazar wrote:Currently the L1 and L2 Gryphons are identical beside the rider.
I approve of the idea, but in reverse; I'd like to edit the L2 instead. I'd also like to do bigger changes.
The gryphon when moving or attacking has a powerful screen presence. It feels like an L4 or L5 unit. I realize this is partially necessary to make something large enough to plausibly hold up a dwarf, but the L1 Gryphon is larger, more impressive looking, and weaker than the L3 grand knight.

So IMHO it's the L1 that should be changed to something meeker. And of course, the edit i proposed does not preclude other changes later.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:
Jetryl wrote: I approve of the idea, but in reverse; I'd like to edit the L2 instead. I'd also like to do bigger changes.
The gryphon when moving or attacking has a powerful screen presence. It feels like an L4 or L5 unit. I realize this is partially necessary to make something large enough to plausibly hold up a dwarf, but the L1 Gryphon is larger, more impressive looking, and weaker than the L3 grand knight.

So IMHO it's the L1 that should be changed to something meeker. And of course, the edit i proposed does not preclude other changes later.

FWIW, the grand knight, and indeed many of our horse-based units, will probably get significantly larger when we can spill base frames out of the hex. The current ones, both rider, but especially steed, are a bit too small. I haven't been the first to complain about this - Eternal has said the same, and he's quite right. The "core body" of the unit won't be spilling out of the hex, just things like the tips of their lances.

And apparently, WesnothGL (the only real prerequisite to being able to spill base frames out-of-the hex) is coming along fairly well.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Jetryl wrote:FWIW, the grand knight, and indeed many of our horse-based units, will probably get significantly larger when we can spill base frames out of the hex. The current ones, both rider, but especially steed, are a bit too small. I haven't been the first to complain about this - Eternal has said the same, and he's quite right. The "core body" of the unit won't be spilling out of the hex, just things like the tips of their lances.
Well, i agree that horse-units (especially L3 ones) would be better with a larger mount.

But that doesn't really effect my main point. Even if we only compare it against the more recent biggerized sprites, the Gryphon rider is still an exceptionally large and impressive looking L1 unit. So is the G. Master among L2s, but to a lesser degree.
Attempting Lucidity
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Jetryl wrote:And apparently, WesnothGL (the only real prerequisite to being able to spill base frames out-of-the hex) is coming along fairly well.
Well, actually it's rather stalled for some time now. Not to forget the problem that going OpenGL only will loose us players on older systems and keeping SDL along with it is a very huge job code wise. No easy solutions.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
JW

Post by JW »

Just as a note: the Griffon Rider is the most expensive and one of the most deadly level 1 units in the game. This reasoning was used to argue that the level 2 unit should have better stats, and it might apply here as well.

The thing is pretty big though, I agree. I have no opinion on what should change though - just dropping in that info for consideration.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Slightly OT, @eleazar nice job on the sleeping gryphon in Httt, the old image already bugged me the last time I played it.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

SkeletonCrew wrote:Slightly OT, @eleazar nice job on the sleeping gryphon in Httt, the old image already bugged me the last time I played it.
Agreed - just looked at it, and it looks nice.