farms

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

farms

Post by Eleazar »

Something i've wanted to add is is farmland. Naturally for movement it will be the same as grass. But it will help set the scene for scenarios, and make the difference between wilderness and civilized areas more distinct. Also the state of the crops can be used to indicate the time of year. Because i'd like to make more than a few kinds, i want to call this one Rfvs (Road[i.e. dirt] Farm Vegetable Spring).

I tried a couple times, but i couldn't get the terrain WML to work. Parts of that tangle still remain a mystery to me.

Attached are the images. Yes, i know there are only 4 transitions. That's all it needs.
Attachments
farm-veg-spring.zip
(56.08 KiB) Downloaded 544 times
farm.jpg
farm.jpg (58.33 KiB) Viewed 7977 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Very nice. I'm definitely for all details that help break up the neatly tended golf course look of most Wesnoth maps. I'm looking forward to the golden harvest-time fields... and the pumpkin patches and the windmills :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

That looks pretty cool, though - is there any way you can compress the vertical perspective, more? I'm not sure if that would look better, but it might.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Excellent work. Things like these are very nice to have to spice up maps a bit.
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

That looks great!

I wrote the neccessary wml. I used the normal dirt-transition, which makes some transitions look a bit strange:
I could layer the dirt on top, so we wouldn't have plants on grassland, but I don't really like the dirt transition.

I implemented the terrain using overlay graphics, so we could probably do without the transition graphics (like forest/swamp do).

Shall I commit it?
Aurë entuluva!
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

mog wrote:That looks great!

I wrote the neccessary wml. I used the normal dirt-transition, which makes some transitions look a bit strange:

I could layer the dirt on top, so we wouldn't have plants on grassland, but I don't really like the dirt transition.

I implemented the terrain using overlay graphics, so we could probably do without the transition graphics (like forest/swamp do).

Shall I commit it?
Please commit. A farm with questionable transitions is better than no farm.

• I think Jetryl is right about the perspective.

• it generally makes more sense to leave the grass etc. transitions over the dirt. And i agree dirt is currently ugly.

• i can't decide if i like or dislike the overlapping transitions. On one hand it gives the impression of a less mechanical type of farming. On the other hand, farming amid the trees is weird. Possibly forests should use the "castle" version when adjacent to farms.
Of course the basic farm could still be created as a single layered graphic, but i wanted to maximize compatibility with any possible changes to the dirt and/or allow crops to be planted on different soils.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I would disable the transitions. Even in medieval times, farmland had fairly sharp boundaries defined by where the farmer plowed the field.
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

*committed*
Eleazar wrote:i can't decide if i like or dislike the overlapping transitions. On one hand it gives the impression of a less mechanical type of farming. On the other hand, farming amid the trees is weird. Possibly forests should use the "castle" version when adjacent to farms.
Forests are not the only problem. There are glitches with castles, moutains, hills, water, etc... I managed to fix the worst offenders by disabling transitions next to these terrains.

But using the small forest variation next to farmland is a good idea, so I implemented it.

*committed*
Eleazar wrote:Of course the basic farm could still be created as a single layered graphic, but i wanted to maximize compatibility with any possible changes to the dirt and/or allow crops to be planted on different soils.
I think you misunderstood me. I meant using farm graphics that overlap the hex so we wouldn't need the transition graphics (The farmland images would overlap each other a bit, but that wouldn't matter in this case). The farmland would still be independent from the base terrain.
Aurë entuluva!
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

mog wrote:*committed*
Eleazar wrote:Of course the basic farm could still be created as a single layered graphic, but i wanted to maximize compatibility with any possible changes to the dirt and/or allow crops to be planted on different soils.
I think you misunderstood me. I meant using farm graphics that overlap the hex so we wouldn't need the transition graphics (The farmland images would overlap each other a bit, but that wouldn't matter in this case). The farmland would still be independent from the base terrain.
Thanks.

No, i understood what you meant by having the graphics overlap. If fact i did that already, though inconsistently. I was just brain-storming about other possibilities.

Probably the best course is to abandon the vegetable transitions and to create a "castle" version of the plants to be adjacent to tall things.
Attempting Lucidity
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

How about some other directional variants ?
I mean north-south or northwest-southeast variants of the farmland.
The second (nw-se) one is perhaps trivial to do (just flip the graphics), the first (n-s) one might not look good.
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Post by Rhuvaen »

I like this... :D

One thing with the vertical perspective might be that it looks like the plants stand further apart than their height. That gives me the impression that I'm looking at the field almost from directly above. I guess the top of the plants would overlap the bottom part of the next row in wesnoth's perspective, but I don't trust my judgement in this altogether. :wink:

It would be great if some of the rows of plants had a few bumps in them, perhaps as variations.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Lookin good. :)