More organization for the images folder

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

More organization for the images folder

Post by Eleazar »

Over time sane organization has been added to this folder, but i'd like to clean it up more. Three of the folders in particular contain a hodgepodge of stuff: items, misc, and terrain. Misc is the worst. It's annoying to try to find something, and eventually discover it's in the wrong folder.

• "terrain" just needs the flags removed. i'll create a folder called "flags" but since the location is hard coded IIRC i won't move them.

• "items" contains two kinds of things, images for manually enhancing the terrain, and actual items to pick up. I propose that the terrain-enhancers be moved to their own folder called "terrain-objects". This i can do if no-body convinces me not to.

• "misc" is a big mess. It contains much of the GUI, icons & terrain-enhancers. The terrain-objects should, of-course, be removed.
I'd like to see most of the stuff moved to a folder called "gui" or something.

thoughts?
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Sounds good. :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: More organization for the images folder

Post by zookeeper »

Eleazar wrote:• "terrain" just needs the flags removed. i'll create a folder called "flags" but since the location is hard coded IIRC i won't move them.
Actually, that's specified in data/game.cfg:90. If you move the flag images and change the paths on that line, it seems to work just fine.

I went and did the change already.
Jetrel

Re: More organization for the images folder

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:• "items" contains two kinds of things, images for manually enhancing the terrain, and actual items to pick up. I propose that the terrain-enhancers be moved to their own folder called "terrain-objects". This i can do if no-body convinces me not to.
Mondo thumbs-up; good names, BTW.
Eleazar wrote:• "misc" is a big mess. It contains much of the GUI, icons & terrain-enhancers. The terrain-objects should, of-course, be removed.
I'd like to see most of the stuff moved to a folder called "gui" or something.

thoughts?
Cleanup of misc is a very good thing, ATM I'm too tired to spend time investigating it. Expect a salient response sometime tomorrow. :)
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Before somebody gets tempted to sort the terrain images, please wait until after the terrain branch has been merged.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Keep in mind that moving images also breaks UMC's (including unpublished ones). So any re-organization should be well-planned so that it only needs to happen once. My advice is, if you are going to start moving images between releases, then move everything that needs re-organization, not just one or two images.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

That's why it should be done only in trunk.
IMHO we can also make :
- a schedule/ forder for ToD images (or subfolder of misc)
- a ellipses/ folder for ellipses images (or subfolder of misc)
and probably some other ones...
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Maybe we should try to get this done prior to 1.3.1? Due to the terrain branch merge we'll break anything already, seems like the right time to add this comperatively tiny change.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

SkeletonCrew wrote:Before somebody gets tempted to sort the terrain images, please wait until after the terrain branch has been merged.
Agreed. What i mean by "terrain-enhancers" or "terrains-objects" is graphics (like the dwarven doors) that are not part of the map file, not recognized by the editor, and must be placed on the map manually.
zoo wrote:Actually, that's specified in data/game.cfg:90. If you move the flag images and change the paths on that line, it seems to work just fine.

I went and did the change already.
thanks.
can anybody explain how "green" exactly is defined here:

Code: Select all

flag_rgb=green
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
freim

Post by freim »

I would also like to see all the villages and castles moved out of the terrain folder. This might be a bit more of a pain in the ass to change in the code?
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

freim wrote:I would also like to see all the villages and castles moved out of the terrain folder. This might be a bit more of a pain in the ass to change in the code?
I believe SC's branch makes that possible.
Though personally i think it makes more sense to put villages & castles in a sub-folder(s) of terrain.
torogan wrote:Maybe we should try to get this done prior to 1.3.1? Due to the terrain branch merge we'll break anything already, seems like the right time to add this comperatively tiny change.
sounds reasonable.
Attempting Lucidity
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Eleazar wrote:
SkeletonCrew wrote:Before somebody gets tempted to sort the terrain images, please wait until after the terrain branch has been merged.
Agreed. What i mean by "terrain-enhancers" or "terrains-objects" is graphics (like the dwarven doors) that are not part of the map file, not recognized by the editor, and must be placed on the map manually.
It was a preemptive post since I anticipated a post like the next one ;)
Eleazar wrote:
freim wrote:I would also like to see all the villages and castles moved out of the terrain folder. This might be a bit more of a pain in the ass to change in the code?
I believe SC's branch makes that possible.
Though personally i think it makes more sense to put villages & castles in a sub-folder(s) of terrain.
Outside the terrain directory might be hard but in subdirectories in the terrain directory works, I tested this since Eleazar already had this request before. I didn't do a thing to make it possible it already seems to work but it requires modifications of terrain.cfg and terrain-graphics.cfg.

This commit message shows how it's done http://svn.gna.org/viewcvs/wesnoth?rev=14069&view=rev and I had it running quite a while in my branch without trouble (until I had to merge a change in some of the images.) (I only tested it on a Debian system.)

But this change can best be started after the merge of the terrain branch to avoid a lot of extra work.
freim

Post by freim »

SkeletonCrew wrote: But this change can best be started after the merge of the terrain branch to avoid a lot of extra work.
Sure

Subfolder is fine, I just don't want everything in the same folder.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Eleazar wrote: can anybody explain how "green" exactly is defined here:

Code: Select all

flag_rgb=green
it is defined in team_colors.cfg in the [color_palette] tag. It should be defined as all the rgb values that are pure green (ie r=0,g=1-255,b=0)
Note that color palettes can also be defined within scenarios and units, so if someone has a special flag that they want to be able to recolor, but that they don't want to have to convert the image, they only need to define a new color. If my memory is correct, redefining an existing color doesn't work(It should print a warning somewhere), but I don't have the code in front of me and many moons have passed since I last changed it so I am not sure.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

BTW, i'm not pleased with the name "terrain-objects" — it's too long and vauge. Anybody has another idea, please speak up.
Attempting Lucidity