New Terrain Variations

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

can multihex terrain be applied to castle floor ?

I guess it can, any WML expert around ?
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Boucman wrote:can multihex terrain be applied to castle floor ?

Probably, but i'm not sure i see the benefit in this situation.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Eleazar wrote:
Boucman wrote:can multihex terrain be applied to castle floor ?

Probably, but i'm not sure i see the benefit in this situation.
it means that the paths between the patches of grass can be done better, and the honeycomb effect can be removed
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Eleazar wrote:If Elves don't build castles out of white-ish stone who does? Gondolin and other Elvish dwellings come to mind. It also differentiates it from the other castles.
Jetryl wrote:The one, the only "concern" I had about your idea, actually seems to be a moot point. I decided to investigate it right now, and knocked together a cheap recolor of pekka's tower on your castle. The concern was - with a castle adequately constructed to look like the same design that went into the elven villages (which pekka's achieves with the keep towers), would it still look enough like the villages if it was a different color of stone?

I think it does look enough like it, so I don't think there is really any problem with a bright castle. I think either color would work fine.
I'm fond of the original elven village color scheme. It is quite sure there will be more different kind of buildings/castles in the future (for example I'm working on an orcish castle). Because of that the upcoming elven castle shouldn't be differentiated too much from the village (color) design, so that the castle would be associated for certain to the right villages.

I still don't have spare time now, but I couldn't resist to push this project forward. :roll: Here is a proposal for the keep front wall design - with the colors of my taste. I also changed the shadows back to the old design, in the name of congruence.

BTW: sorry, these files are saved in photoshop - no other programs available atm. :(
Attachments
example.png
example.png (26.46 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
keep-wall-se.png
keep-wall-se.png (8.51 KiB) Viewed 7072 times
keep-wall-sw.png
keep-wall-sw.png (7.59 KiB) Viewed 7074 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

pekka wrote:BTW: sorry, these files are saved in photoshop - no other programs available atm. :(
For what it's worth, both Eleazar and I use photoshop, primarily.

Not sure about freim, though.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

pekka wrote:I'm fond of the original elven village color scheme.
And i've played with the bluish castle for a while, and to me the color is perfect.

I suppose it will come down to whoever does the work first.

The shadow in keep-wall-se is strangely disconnected from the tower.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Eleazar wrote:The shadow in keep-wall-se is strangely disconnected from the tower.
No, it isn't:
Attachments
keep.png
keep.png (122.75 KiB) Viewed 6780 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

pekka wrote:
Eleazar wrote:The shadow in keep-wall-se is strangely disconnected from the tower.
No, it isn't:
My mistake.
Attempting Lucidity
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

To use Silmarillion terminology, The bluish castle looks more Noldorin to me, while the tan castle is more Sindarin... it would be nice to have both, since they do serve two distinct purposes.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

turin wrote:To use Silmarillion terminology, The bluish castle looks more Noldorin to me, while the tan castle is more Sindarin... it would be nice to have both, since they do serve two distinct purposes.
remember that if it is just a matter of recoloring, this can be done in wml.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:To use Silmarillion terminology, The bluish castle looks more Noldorin to me, while the tan castle is more Sindarin... it would be nice to have both, since they do serve two distinct purposes.
Yeah.

It's not my decision to make, but I agree that having both of these would be nice.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Trying to push this little project forward..

Here is a try for the elven castle tower and the lower wall. I'm not happy at all about the top of the tower, but I'm out of ideas ATM. It seems a little bit crude to me. Any ideas to make it better?

However, if the general consensus here is that this version is okay, I'll convert this one to the terrain tiles.

EDIT: Hee.. I already might have a solution to polish these.. :P

EDIT2: Original deleted. Alright now, here is a version I'm more happy with. Any argumented opinions? Is this stuff (almost) okay-to-go?
Attachments
elfcastle.jpg
elfcastle.jpg (11.53 KiB) Viewed 6395 times
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

The wall looks a little strange IMO. It seems to be behind the towers and not connected to them. A smooth transition between tower and wall might look good, it would fit in well with the patterns on the towers.
Aurë entuluva!
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

mog wrote:The wall looks a little strange IMO. It seems to be behind the towers and not connected to them.
I'm trying to hasten the merging of terrain branch here - the elven castle is now complete. I tried to fix the wall. I'll finish the keep soon.

EDIT: zip-file deleted
Attachments
elfcastle.jpg
elfcastle.jpg (54.09 KiB) Viewed 6137 times
Last edited by pekka on January 22nd, 2007, 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

:D