New Terrain Variations

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

pekka wrote:I'm trying to hasten the merging of terrain branch here - the elven castle is now complete. I tried to fix the wall. I'll finish the keep soon.
:D you've a good timing, we've been just discussing the merge on the developer mailing list and irc ;)
No date is set yet but will be soon, but I like your method of hastening the castle looks good :)
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

SkeletonCrew wrote::D you've a good timing, we've been just discussing the merge on the developer mailing list and irc ;)
No date is set yet but will be soon, but I like your method of hastening the castle looks good :)
Yeah, I've been lurking on the mailing list. And that made me haste with the rest of the castle. :) So, here are the complete elven castle files. The castle floor idea of Eleazaar's isn't implemented, though.
Attachments
elven-castle-complete.jpg
elven-castle-complete.jpg (45.63 KiB) Viewed 7818 times
elven-castle-complete.zip
(241.38 KiB) Downloaded 583 times
JW

Post by JW »

Forgive me, but I have a question:

Does it look to you, as it does to me, that the keeps in this artwork have a highly raised floor? See the attached image for reference: the lower castle wall is 24 pixels high, but the upper castle wall is only 6 pixels high! Such a drastic difference does not give me an impression of depth into the hex, but rather it gives me the impression of the floor being about 2/3 the way up the wall!

Look at the circled portion and see if you see it the way I do, or if this is just an optical illusion. I expect that extending the north walls downward would help remove the appearance, but as for how many pixels, that would be a guess.

-edit-

Compare it to the other walls as well, which I think work better, even though the northern walls are a tad higher than the southern walls:
Attachments
elven_castle2.jpeg
elven_castle2.jpeg (49.96 KiB) Viewed 7787 times
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

JW wrote:Does it look to you, as it does to me, that the keeps in this artwork have a highly raised floor? See the attached image for reference: the lower castle wall is 24 pixels high, but the upper castle wall is only 6 pixels high! Such a drastic difference does not give me an impression of depth into the hex, but rather it gives me the impression of the floor being about 2/3 the way up the wall!
Hmm.. I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but the keep floor really should look like raised. It is the roof of the keep.
JW

Post by JW »

pekka wrote:
JW wrote:Does it look to you, as it does to me, that the keeps in this artwork have a highly raised floor? See the attached image for reference: the lower castle wall is 24 pixels high, but the upper castle wall is only 6 pixels high! Such a drastic difference does not give me an impression of depth into the hex, but rather it gives me the impression of the floor being about 2/3 the way up the wall!
Hmm.. I'm not sure if I understood correctly, but the keep floor really should look like raised. It is the roof of the keep.
Ah yes, that makes it perfectly understandable. Forgive me again, but I didn't perceive that as a ceiling. The pattern on it gives me the impression that it is a floor, not a roof. With the knowledge that it is a roof though, it does look perfectly correct in terms of perspective.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

JW wrote:Compare it to the other walls as well, which I think work better, even though the northern walls are a tad higher than the southern walls:
Here is the reason for that. Compare the cameras 1 & 2 that are directed at the wall. The thing in the middle of the cameras represents the cross-section of the castle wall. Of course the perspective can't be 1:1 realistic in the whole castle/keep, and thats because every castle is assembled from pieces and castle sizes varies.

Believe me, I've been struggling with these questiongs and I know what I'm talking about. I've been working with the castles for 1.5 years now.
Attachments
keukeu.jpg
keukeu.jpg (35.74 KiB) Viewed 7765 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

JW: All wesnothian keeps (proper) look like that; the only ones that don't are the ones which use a single image for the keep instead; and which aren't a "keep" so much as a throne, or a tent.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

I committed the elvish castle, currently using the code "Cef", "Ce" already being taken by the encampment. The castle WML is a bit confusing, i'm not sure if that choice was the best one for wildcarding. Since it's not yet, used that should be easy to change.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

Eleazar wrote:I committed the elvish castle, currently using the code "Cef", "Ce" already being taken by the encampment. The castle WML is a bit confusing, i'm not sure if that choice was the best one for wildcarding. Since it's not yet, used that should be easy to change.
We should keep the "Ce" for encampments only. As soon as we add another encampment variation (like ruined encampment), we will need wildcards.

So I suggest to rename it to Cv (for elVish).
Aurë entuluva!
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

or change the encempment to Co (orcish)
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

Boucman wrote:or change the encempment to Co (orcish)
Encampments are already in heavy use. Changing it now would require changes to most maps. Besides, they don't look especially orcish to me and they are used by all factions in the campaigns.
Aurë entuluva!
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

And some people have an orcish castle in their plans too...
Perhaps Cc for encampment ? (Camp Castle)
Or Cf for elvish castle (Forest elves / ElFish castle) ? :D
*hides*
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
mog
Inactive Developer

Post by mog »

I just changed the strings to Cv/Kv.
I also removed some compatibility wml (Interaction with old keeps) from the elvish castles. It's unnecessary, as old maps don't have elvish castles.
Aurë entuluva!
grzywacz
Inactive Developer

Post by grzywacz »

I get a weird feeling about this, it seems as if the village was standing on top of the S-W wall...

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

grzywacz wrote:I get a weird feeling about this, it seems as if the village was standing on top of the S-W wall...
The village's shadow is too dark, and layers wrong.
These old "elven" villages need to be redone eventually.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity