A Tale Of Two Brothers - Portraits

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Re: Good enough to commit?

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:
Jetryl wrote:You may (of course), though be forewarned that it's also being used for, and was originally intended for, the character "Arne" in "Two Brothers". In fact a differently-colored version of this has been in svn for some months(?) now.
I think he meant that he wants to edit it and create a new portrait for this Lanbec'h character (he said it in response to the link to the full-size image, didn't he)?
Yeah; but any edit of it is going to look like exactly that - an edit of it. On an image of this size, the only way to get an original-looking picture is just to produce a new original. If he's fine with it looking obviously derived from another wesnoth image, well, okay - but I'd really recommend against that because it looks very cheap to do so.

If I were making a choice, I'd rather have no portrait, than an obvious copyedit of another one.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Slightly tweaked version of Bjarn. Aside from that the folds in his clothes need some work, I kind of like this image so far. But feel free to point out any oddities you might spot.
Attachments
bjarn-2007-05-10.png
bjarn-2007-05-10.png (208.62 KiB) Viewed 5878 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

When a face is turned horizontally, the eyes only shrink across the horizontal axis, not the vertical axis. There may be a few mm error in the placement of his left eye as well, I'm not sure.

The ear should also probably be further back and a bit further down on his head - again, I'm not sure; I'd have to actually do a test edit to verify this.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Jetryl wrote:When a face is turned horizontally, the eyes only shrink across the horizontal axis, not the vertical axis. There may be a few mm error in the placement of his left eye as well, I'm not sure.
I'm feeling a little slow today (sleep deprivation, most likely). Are you saying that his right eye needs to be bigger vertically?
Jetryl wrote:The ear should also probably be further back and a bit further down on his head - again, I'm not sure; I'd have to actually do a test edit to verify this.
Further down, quite possibly. Further back... that would put it in a very odd position considering where his left cheekbone is. But maybe that should be further back as well.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

West wrote:
Jetryl wrote:The ear should also probably be further back and a bit further down on his head - again, I'm not sure; I'd have to actually do a test edit to verify this.
Further down, quite possibly. Further back... that would put it in a very odd position considering where his left cheekbone is. But maybe that should be further back as well.
To me it looks like the his jawbone would run about along the blue line here, which would bring his ear slightly lower and further back.
Attachments
bjarn-ear.jpg
bjarn-ear.jpg (17.8 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Better?
Attachments
bjarn2-2007-05-10.png
bjarn2-2007-05-10.png (196.08 KiB) Viewed 5785 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

West wrote:I'm feeling a little slow today (sleep deprivation, most likely). Are you saying that his right eye needs to be bigger vertically?
Either that, or making his left eye smaller. Either one would solve the inconsistency.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

he has enough hair that it could cover more of the ear, or even all of it.

The crack of the mouth could well be visible, just below the moustache, and it would help to define the mouth better (very important for defining the expression).

I have drawn a red line where it looks to me the centreline of the face goes, and in relation to that it looks that both the lower lip and the beard miss their mark, symmetrywise.
Attachments
bjarn2_2007_05_10_134.png
bjarn2_2007_05_10_134.png (63.22 KiB) Viewed 5751 times
Tiedäthän kuinka pelataan.
Tiedäthän, vihtahousua vastaan.
Tiedäthän, solmu kravatin, se kantaa niin synnit
kuin syntien tekijätkin.
West
Retired Lord of Music

Post by West »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:he has enough hair that it could cover more of the ear, or even all of it.
Originally his hair did cover the ear, but I changed it as per Jetryl's request. :)