FireFireFire!

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

FireFireFire!

Post by Jetrel »

I should have done this aeons ago.

Note that this flame is applied using a halo, and thus can be used for other things as well. This might not be ideal, but any detriments to this are infinitely better than a static frame.

For one thing, I'd like zookeeper to (one I commit it) work on tilted versions of the flame (as though the flame source is in fast motion). The reason for this is that I'd like to use those on the heads of the flaming arrows. They need it, badly. I can't think of any other sprites that "need" an animated flame like this.

• Also, the flickering on his body is just .GIF artifacting, not an actual effect.
• Being a "standing" animation, rather than an idle animation, this works fine in 1.2, and also doesn't seem to hurt performance.
Attachments
FIRE2.00001.gif
FIRE2.00001.gif (79.31 KiB) Viewed 6057 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

hUnfortunately, there seems to be a slight positioning bug when the unit's standing height gets modified; I haven't filed this on gna yet, since I need to hit the hay.
Attachments
halo-position-bug.gif
halo-position-bug.gif (36.1 KiB) Viewed 6048 times
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Somehow I think the artefacts look interesting. Is it possible to add some dynamic highlights on the unit and the enviroment with halos.

Before I forget quite hot 8)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Looks neat.

Sure, I can try working on these, however...I seriously think we should leave these for trunk (at least the standing animations, of course we can put some flames on the arrows if we manage to do that in time).
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

zookeeper wrote:I seriously think we should leave these for trunk (at least the standing animations, of course we can put some flames on the arrows if we manage to do that in time).
I'm ... ambivalent about this, so I could fall on either side of the issue.

What precisely is your reasoning?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jetryl wrote:
zookeeper wrote:I seriously think we should leave these for trunk (at least the standing animations, of course we can put some flames on the arrows if we manage to do that in time).
I'm ... ambivalent about this, so I could fall on either side of the issue.

Mostly the fact that it might be a bit risky regarding performance, graphics glitches in some situations and such now that we're supposedly very close to the final release(s). We haven't had any standing animations yet, except for the Elvish Shyde. Also, I don't think we need a single standing animation more to 1.2, since it would be the only one (in addition to the shyde), and we'd still have static campfires and other terrain. I'm not strictly against adding this if we can do it in time, but I'd very much like to have it tested rather carefully.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

zookeeper wrote:
Jetryl wrote: I'm ... ambivalent about this, so I could fall on either side of the issue.

Mostly the fact that it might be a bit risky regarding performance, graphics glitches in some situations and such now that we're supposedly very close to the final release(s). We haven't had any standing animations yet, except for the Elvish Shyde. Also, I don't think we need a single standing animation more to 1.2, since it would be the only one (in addition to the shyde), and we'd still have static campfires and other terrain. I'm not strictly against adding this if we can do it in time, but I'd very much like to have it tested rather carefully.
I'll commit it to trunk (only), soon.

If you have time, look at it - there is one notable graphical glitch besides the one I mentioned; that being that the "orb" gets overlaid by the halo.

This is, of course, wrong - the gui (hp/orb) overlay stuff should be at the top. But that really ought to get changed in the code before we have this farting around for the public.

Adding motion to all the units that desperately need it is a good project for post-1.2. I'm going to cross this item off my 1.2 list.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

halos are always on top, that's the whole point of halos (which were originally for stuff like dfaldor's lightning)

however most of the stuff that required halos in 1.2 can be done in the base frame in 1.3

zookeeper, we'll discuss the gory details on IRC when we're both around
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Nice animation.

However, fire, and other light sources should have some semi-transparent glow about it. Something like this:
Attachments
fire.png
fire.png (18.83 KiB) Viewed 5591 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity