Neorice's first tiles; Dungeon Walls

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

JW

Post by JW »

I'm curious: when finished will this totally replace the old graphics, or will the old graphics also be around as an option? I imagine a natural rockface might be more appropriate for some maps than a worked, walled cave.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

I'd say keep the old ones as well, once the new terrain system is finished the amount of possible terrains is nearly infinite, unless Neoriceisgood starts to create tiles as fast as he does with normal images :P

(The old terrain system still has 2 letters left, which we could use, they're reserved for other terrains but with the new system getting closer I don't mind to steal those. There are also some symbols left which could be used.)

@Neoriceisgood, I like these walls, once these are finished, I'd like to commit them in my branch.
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

Jetryl wrote:Yeah, it looks totally sweet, but a few of those columns are tilting the wrong way.
Yeah, the tilt is good because it makes it look better, but the tilt is wrong on some of them.

Any chance of getting that mineshaft one done too? I can think of a few places it could be useful in IoA (most of these places aren't in existing scenarios, but some are) and I'd guess that any campaign with dwarves could use it somewhere (they are famous for their mines, and not all of the cave walls around them would be the dungeon walls)
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

JW wrote:I'm curious: when finished will this totally replace the old graphics, or will the old graphics also be around as an option? I imagine a natural rockface might be more appropriate for some maps than a worked, walled cave.

Actually I started on them to give people an alternative to ordinary cave walls; mostly for people who want a dungeon-esque map/scenario, but lack the tiles to do this properly.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Ranger M wrote:Any chance of getting that mineshaft one done too?
I like the mine-shaft better than the columned walls. The mine can get away with the crazy angles, because you don't really expect the beams to be at right angles. But of course, there's no reason not to have both, with SC's improvements coming along.

If neccesary, i can chop up Neo's graphics and turn them into tiles, but i'd rather someone else did it if possible since thats the part of tile-making i hate doing.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I think they took me less than 30 minutes a pop; I can easily redo em with less tilted collums if they're too big a problem.
sparr

Post by sparr »

should make versions of the mine wall with and without the lamp, then randomly place lamps every few tiles.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Neoriceisgood wrote:
JW wrote:I'm curious: when finished will this totally replace the old graphics, or will the old graphics also be around as an option? I imagine a natural rockface might be more appropriate for some maps than a worked, walled cave.

Actually I started on them to give people an alternative to ordinary cave walls; mostly for people who want a dungeon-esque map/scenario, but lack the tiles to do this properly.

Yes, this is in NO WAY intended as a replacement for the cave walls.
That would be insane; to throw those away.

This is a completely different terrain, which is using the cave walls as a guide to make creation a lot easier. What I'm seeing come together here is at least two terrains:

• A "mine shaft wall" terrain which nicely integrates with the existing cave floor, and can be used right alongside the existing cave wall to give certain cave sections much more of a "man-made" flavor.

• An interior castle wall terrain; which ought to have a new floor to go with it, but which should help to allow all those indoor scenes that we've wished we could do for a long time. Scott had done some bits of work towards this, but the engine didn't treat it so kindly, and I'm not sure how far he got.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

In general, I can't get on with ground tiles all too well; as I'm really bad at trying to visualise things without "substance" (grassfields, water, etc)

however walls are the complete opposite, and with these guidelines to help me make them connect properly; I can just draw any wall I want easy as cake;

In general ,if I understand the new tile system correctly; each terrain type will have it's own letter appointed, and that letter in combination with letters, leads to alternate designs; that would mean there can be as many different cave walls as there are different letters and symbols on the keyboard; a.k.a

-dungeon esque

-classy indoor castle esque

-ice cavern

-volcanic

-mine shaft

-ancient temple

-anything else you could think of

would all be possible as alternatives;

For this reason I started experimenting with the convex concave-tool to see how good a walls I could manage to make myself, and if people like them; I'll start on a whole bunch;

mostly in the hope that there'll be more awesome dungeon-crawler multiplayer scenarios like the well known one about some orc's gold being stolen;

I mean, if that isn't awesome, what is?
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Hmm, an ice cave sounds cool...

Basicly once SkeletonCrew's work is complete, and we've switched to it, we can support over 10,000 variation of each type of terrain. :) File size and the complexity of the terrain WML become the limiting factors. So basicly, if a terrain looks good and is useful and complete we will be able to add it.

The templates i gave you are probably not idea for anything that's geometrically regular. In other words, i don't think things will line up precisely enough to look quite right for a building in good repair. So my cave wall template will work a lot better for a ruined temple than one that's in good repair.

Don't worry about the floors if you don't want to, i can do some pretty easily.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Let it be known that Turin finds this topic awesome beyond belief.

I've been wanting this for a looong time... ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

turin wrote:Let it be known that Turin finds this topic awesome beyond belief.

I've been wanting this for a looong time... ;)
Turin likes something -I- do?

:shock:
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Thanks for supporting us designers of weird campaigns, Neorice. 8)
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Regarding this one:
Maybe I'm missing something crucial, but rather then leaning at all sorts of crazy angles...shouldn't the pillars be vertical?

Like the towers on castle hexes.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

It's modeled off of the cavewall terrain, which does not have vertical walls. Of course, cave walls wouldn't be vertical, whereas indoor walls would be, so maybe these should be different from the cavewall terrain in that regards...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm