New dwarven castle commited

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

New dwarven castle commited

Post by freim »

I've just commited a new dwarven castle to both trunk and the branch 1.2.

http://www.pvv.org/~haskjold/dcastle2.png

TODO:
* new keep
* shadows
* more details on castle<->wall trans
* finishing touches

I will leave the TODO for pekka since he's really good with this stuff.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

i Like it
:)
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

TODO:
* new keep
* shadows
* finishing touches

Clarification - with the exception of the keep/shadows, these are somewhat optional, but if pekka sees things that could be done, we'd love to have him do it.

:| I don't want to him to feel like we just dumped a god-pile of responsibility on his desk, because, well - this is a lot of work.

:? /me goes back to finishing TC.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Jetryl wrote:
TODO:
* new keep
* shadows
* finishing touches

Clarification - with the exception of the keep/shadows, these are somewhat optional, but if pekka sees things that could be done, we'd love to have him do it.

:| I don't want to him to feel like we just dumped a god-pile of responsibility on his desk, because, well - this is a lot of work.

:? /me goes back to finishing TC.
Hi, I'm back from the trip! Nice to be in Finland again.

I'm not going to draw a new keep for this one, because it is quite a workload and it would be also pointles IMO. Dwarf castle is used mainly in cave terrain, which is an interior itself, so the core of the castle doesn't need a roof, right? In the other hand the throne should be replaced with more fitting one and I'm happy to try what I can do. Also some staircases and other minor details would finish this one nicely.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

pekka wrote:I'm not going to draw a new keep for this one, because it is quite a workload and it would be also pointles IMO. Dwarf castle is used mainly in cave terrain, which is an interior itself, so the core of the castle doesn't need a roof, right? In the other hand the throne should be replaced with more fitting one and I'm happy to try what I can do. Also some staircases and other minor details would finish this one nicely.
That's actually what we meant by "a new keep". We meant a new, single-tile; probably a new throne, but if you have any other ideas, try them out.

So, we agree with what you just said.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Jetryl wrote:
pekka wrote:I'm not going to draw a new keep for this one, because it is quite a workload and it would be also pointles IMO. Dwarf castle is used mainly in cave terrain, which is an interior itself, so the core of the castle doesn't need a roof, right? In the other hand the throne should be replaced with more fitting one and I'm happy to try what I can do. Also some staircases and other minor details would finish this one nicely.
That's actually what we meant by "a new keep". We meant a new, single-tile; probably a new throne, but if you have any other ideas, try them out.

So, we agree with what you just said.
Who do you refer as "we"?

In any case, here is the polished dwarven castle. I defined the direction of light, add some minor decorations/details and fixed some minor glitches. New throne not included - it is a work in progress.

EDIT: I'll leave the wall transitions for someone else...
Attachments
For comparison
For comparison
compare.jpg (63.56 KiB) Viewed 7456 times
dwarven-castle-finished.zip
tiles
(52.31 KiB) Downloaded 485 times
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

I think the improved versions needs also extra stairs on the side. The inner circle should have once above the currently drawn ones and the opposite walls as well. Then you can imagine them to be present on the other places as well as a help to get up to the wall from inside. Right now, they look rather strange. Why are they only on those inwardly bend corner and not the others as well?
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

torangan wrote:I think the improved versions needs also extra stairs on the side. The inner circle should have once above the currently drawn ones and the opposite walls as well. Then you can imagine them to be present on the other places as well as a help to get up to the wall from inside. Right now, they look rather strange. Why are they only on those inwardly bend corner and not the others as well?
Everything doesn't have to be completely symmetrical IMO.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

pekka wrote:
torangan wrote:I think the improved versions needs also extra stairs on the side. The inner circle should have once above the currently drawn ones and the opposite walls as well. Then you can imagine them to be present on the other places as well as a help to get up to the wall from inside. Right now, they look rather strange. Why are they only on those inwardly bend corner and not the others as well?
Everything doesn't have to be completely symmetrical IMO.
Well, I agree that things do not need to be completely symmetrical, there should usually be a reason for it not being symmetrical. And the big thing about not being symmetrical is that if you have a large castle, and it ends up being not symmetrical in a systematic way, it looks odd. This is why in order for the ruins to look good one has to do an ungodly number of variations. One thing that could be done is to use the stair/no-stair versions as different alternatives, where the stair version only shows up say 1/4 of the time. This would make the lack of stairs on the side a little less obvious.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Darth Fool wrote:One thing that could be done is to use the stair/no-stair versions as different alternatives, where the stair version only shows up say 1/4 of the time. This would make the lack of stairs on the side a little less obvious.
So true! I can provide the tiles without stairs as soon as I get back to home to fix 'em. They are almost done already. One reason why there isn't stairs in every corner is that there is no room to do that so it would look good. According to my calculations, another reason why there is no space for the extra stairs is because there must be space for the throne too.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I'll trust pekka's judgement on this.
Even if it might hypothetically look better with more stairs, it looks better with some stairs, rather than no stairs, so we'll leave it as it is.

Also, the tweaks to the lighting direction, and the addition of shadows are great. :)

Who do you refer as "we"?
in that specific case,
we = freim + jetryl
freim

Post by freim »

Looks good, I'll commit tomorrow.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

*takes brief moment to admire awsome work*

What does it look like with a keep?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:What does it look like with a keep?
Better. :wink:
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Darth Fool wrote:One thing that could be done is to use the stair/no-stair versions as different alternatives, where the stair version only shows up say 1/4 of the time. This would make the lack of stairs on the side a little less obvious.
Here are the tiles then. Just missing the WML trickery.

The throne part has given me some headache...
Attachments
dwarven-castle-concave-se.png
dwarven-castle-concave-se.png (3.53 KiB) Viewed 7157 times
dwarven-castle-concave-sw.png
dwarven-castle-concave-sw.png (3.92 KiB) Viewed 7156 times