Ancient Lich Portrait WIP (Will be redrawn at a later date)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Which version is better?

No glow eyes
14%
Little bit of glow eye
14%
Lots of glow eye
No votes
Glow eye with eyesocket depth
57%
Some other version (Please post information)
14%
They all suck!
No votes

Total votes: 7

Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

I'll post a new version
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Tadaa!

[Edit] That's a bit messy actally, if this is the preferred i will clean it up [/edit]
Attachments
Ancient-Lich-Hollow.png
Ancient-Lich-Hollow.png (68.46 KiB) Viewed 6482 times
Last edited by Pic on July 28th, 2006, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

It is an excellent drawing. It does suffer from being stuck in the box, ie. The skull is facing straight on the viewer. Note that most(all?) of the portraits in game are at some angle. It is more difficult to draw at an angle, but it gives the picture less of a staged look (compare a picture of someone who is posing for the camera versus a candid shot. The candid will almost never be straight on, or exactly to the side, whereas posed shots will often be exactly that.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

IMHO I would of figured the undead did not express human emotion, and that the only actions they would perform would be entirely necessary ones; I tried to express their inhuman attributes through a pose as dead as they were but maybe I haven’t done it very well.

Do other people think he's a bit boring? I don't much fancy starting again from the line art
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

I think that you should get rid of the lighter section on the back of the inside of the skull, it doesn't make sense, mainly because it doesn't look much like what it is supposed to be (and if it isn't what I think it is, but is a part of the front of the skull, then it is way too big or shouldn't be there)
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Glowing eye with socket depth is winning, if people so wish i can empty the sockets and put the glow on that (Get rid of the light bit in other words)
scott

Post by scott »

I think you have a winner in here somewhere. Play some Wesnoth for inspiration (I would recommend TROW Temple of the Deep, but the lich has his own portrait), go back and pick a drawing, and stick with it. Input is useful and probably helpful so far, but after a certain point, we the committee of critiquers just get in the way of the artist being the artist. If Jetryl wants you to do something to it, he'll tell you.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Made the glow eye with eye socket depth look better. It's also winning by a mile.

[Edit] Oh! And added a cleaned hollow sockets on the thread start post for Turin [/edit]

Thanks scott. It's impossible to please everyone, so it's likely best i just please myself. :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

What you have is well done, but:

• It is a bit "stuck in the box", or "is still in the block", in sculptor's terms.

• All of our portraits should really show a large amount of torso.

:( Which is a shame because you have done a good job, but this requires going back to new line art.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

If I worked this pose with the same polish as the other, would it be acceptable do you think?
Attachments
Ancient-Lich-rework.png
Ancient-Lich-rework.png (24.14 KiB) Viewed 6362 times
scott

Post by scott »

He's in charge of all the church-going undeads.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

:lol:
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Pic wrote:If I worked this pose with the same polish as the other, would it be acceptable do you think?
:( You've gotta turn him; you have to break "out of the block". I'm sorry; it's just a basic requirement.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Curses! Now i must start over, maybe at some later date.