Dark Adept Portraits (Male W.I.P [10%] Female W.I.P[70%])

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Perhaps wire a black feather and smaller bones into here hair. Some clichés might not hurt.

I like the impression of here face though.
This girl, this boy, They were part of the land. What happens to the places we used to tend?
She's a hard one to trust, And he's a roving ghost. Will you come back, will you come back, Or leave me alone?

-Ghost Fields
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

I messed up with the layers and now doing anything is rather hard :?

Anyway necklace.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

:oops: ....forgot the image
Attachments
darkadept_Female.png
darkadept_Female.png (62.54 KiB) Viewed 5555 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Pic wrote:I messed up with the layers and now doing anything is rather hard :?
Yeah, I've done that before... it really sucks. Hope you get it worked out.
Pic wrote:Anyway necklace.
The necklace seems to sit rather high on her neck. It seems like it should slide further down.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

That at least is easy 8)

If there are no objections I'm guessing it looks better with the necklace.
Attachments
darkadept_Female.png
darkadept_Female.png (62.7 KiB) Viewed 5541 times
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

Sorry about commenting so late, but after the thread was moved to art developers section, I was not able to post until Jetryl kindly added me to art contributors group.

To me, the shading of the face doesn't give consistent impression about light direction. The biggest problem in this regard is that the cheekbones should have highlight on top, and shadow beneath, which they don't have clearly enough right now, IMO, especially on the lighter side. I also think that the distance between mouth and bottom of the nose is slightly too large, and light coming from above should make the lower outline of the nosetip more visible (now the nose looks very upturned).

The pastel pink lip gloss is awful, sooo eighties. I would suggest thinner and dry (no gloss) lips, with more blueish shade, which would give a less healthy impression and maybe make her look a bit gothic.

And the clothing. Sorry, but to me the headgear looks like plenty of things, but unfortunately no pieces of clothing are among them (Right now I'm not sure if it looks more like she's in a prompt box made to look like a rock, or if there is a toothless, yawning hippopotamus whose mouth she's mysteriously peeking out of). It's a shapeless blob, with no clear indication how the fabric is going and where (DISCLAIMER: I make clothes myself, so I pay lot of attention to this kind of stuff). There are big masses of stuff on her shoulders, and the whole thing doesn't look like it's resting on the woman's head and body, but rather just floating there around her head.

I googled for some pictures for reference, and I found one I think is pretty close to what I think you're after, a crossover between a shawl and a hood:

Here, here, here and here are other pictures of headscarves, wrapped in different ways, and here is a page with pictures of loose hoods, if that's what you would prefer.
Last edited by Sgt. Groovy on July 30th, 2006, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Sgt. Groovy wrote:To me, the shading of the face doesn't give consistent impression about light direction. The biggest broblem in this regard is that the cheekbones should have highlight on top, and shadow beneath, which they don't have clearly enough right now, IMO, especially on the lighter side. I also think that the distance between mouth and bottom of the nose is slightly too large, and light coming from above should make the lower outline of the nosetip more visible (now the nose looks very upturned).
*nods* This depends on where the light is coming from, but the lighting that would cause this is often a good choice for portraits.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:The pastell pink lip gloss is awful, sooo eighties. I would suggest thinner and dry (no gloss) lips, with more blueish shade, which would give a less healthy impression and maybe make her look a bit gothic.
I was gonna mention this too - shy away from automatically giving drawings of women pink/red lips. Women's lips are *naturally* about the same color as men's are, and this character would be unlikely to be wearing anything to alter that.

Edit: However, it is true that women's lips are generally "fuller," than men's; that is, slightly thicker. This is often suggested in drawings by a slight touch of shading under the lower lip.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:And the clothing. Sorry, but to me the headgear looks like plenty of things, but unfortunately no pieces of clothing are among them (Right now I'm not sure if it looks more like she's in a prompt box made to look like a rock, or if there is a toothless, yawning hippopotamus whose mouth she's mysteriously peeking out of).
This, you would also do very well to fix.
Sgt. Groovy wrote:I googled for some pictures for reference, and I found one I think is prettty close to what I think you're after, a crossover between a shawl and a hood:
:D Thank you, I myself am actually going to find these rather useful.
Sgt. Groovy
Art Contributor

Post by Sgt. Groovy »

However, it is true that women's lips are generally "fuller," than men's; that is, slightly thicker.
I would speculate that there is no average difference in lip thickness between men and women, but that men's more robust chin makes the lips stand out less. It should also be noted that lip thickness varies quite a lot within both sexes.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Thanks for the input! :D
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

For comparison:

Pic, are you okay with the following image going into the game?
Attachments
dark_adept.png
dark_adept.png (33.84 KiB) Viewed 5071 times
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Looks good. I would give him a shave though :)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

freim wrote:Looks good. I would give him a shave though :)
No no no! Now he looks how adepts should: like he just got out of the pit where the necromancers whip adepts all day long to ensure they behave. :P
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Kickarse work, as always.
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

zookeeper wrote:
freim wrote:Looks good. I would give him a shave though :)
No no no! Now he looks how adepts should: like he just got out of the pit where the necromancers whip adepts all day long to ensure they behave. :P
No, he looks like a 14 year old failing miserably to grow a beard :)
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

freim wrote:
zookeeper wrote: No no no! Now he looks how adepts should: like he just got out of the pit where the necromancers whip adepts all day long to ensure they behave. :P
No, he looks like a 14 year old failing miserably to grow a beard :)
I'm shooting for something not unlike this - the unshaven, dangerous, "has other things on his mind than maintaining his own hygiene" look.

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/2126/01mainrj4.jpg

So, looking like he has messy, uneven stubble is good. Shaving was much sloppier back before we had proper razors, and you wouldn't get the modern "even length" shave, unless you had a good barber who really cared - you shaved with a knife, after all. That said, it might not hurt to regularize his stubble a bit, but I'm really not keen on removing it; the point is to make him look like he doesn't take care of himself.

And in other news, here's an attempt at a female version. I'm trying to make her honestly have the same degradation as the male, without making her outright haggard/ugly. I'm really not sure how well I did, as I'm a bit too drunk at the current point in time. I'll submit it for the usual C&C fest, and possibly do some cleanup tomorrow.
Attachments
dark-adept-female.png
dark-adept-female.png (37 KiB) Viewed 5042 times