Dark Adept Portraits (Male W.I.P [10%] Female W.I.P[70%])

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Pic
Art Contributor

Dark Adept Portraits (Male W.I.P [10%] Female W.I.P[70%])

Post by Pic »

[Edit] All those questions have been answered.

Here is the male WIP. Here is the female W.I.P

Any help would be greatly appricated!
Attachments
Rough Version<br />Edited by Fmunoz<br /><br />Fmunoz is a nice person.
Rough Version
Edited by Fmunoz

Fmunoz is a nice person.
darkadept_180.png (32.4 KiB) Viewed 6833 times
65% complete
65% complete
darkadept_Female.png (56.83 KiB) Viewed 6836 times
Last edited by Pic on July 27th, 2006, 10:05 pm, edited 14 times in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: A question on portrait design

Post by zookeeper »

Pic wrote:1. Looking through the core portraits they all seem to be cell shaded, is this a standard that cannot be deviated from? For instance, a more realistic style using traditional mediums such as paints, touched up in the computer as so it shows well on a monitor screen? Or a more realistic style using more advanced shading techniques but still primarily computer based?
I'm pretty sure the cell-shaded style can't be deviated from much in mainline. Custom campaigns might be happy to use other styles as well, but I doubt very different looking styles would get into mainline.
Pic wrote:2. The size for a portrait seems to be 205 x 205. I'm guessing this is standard as well?
Yep. Again, any size can in theory be used, but all mainline portraits will no doubt be 205x205.
Pic wrote:3. Can i work on any portraits I so desire, or is there some already in development or already completed that are not in the current (stable) version of the game that i should be made aware of?
Definitely check the development version (1.1.7) first, if you're planning on contributing basically anything. A lot of things more or less in every area of the game have changed since 1.0.2, and the number of portraits is no exception (not as many new portraits for default units as for campaign heroes and such, but still). Also, unlike what I said earlier there is room for slightly different styles, provided that the "different style" art forms a somewhat consistent set - check the Under the Burning Suns campaign in 1.1.7 for an example of a slightly different portrait style.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Thank you for the quick reply!

I will download the developmental version over night as i have dial-up (And a very slow dial-up connection at that) and it would take several hours. I started working on the portrait for the walking corpse about...ten minutes before i posted, it is cellshaded as i guessed that would be the case. Can i ask if the walking dead portrait is free? I would like to start tonight if it is, rather then wait till tommorow.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Pic wrote:Can i ask if the walking dead portrait is free? I would like to start tonight if it is, rather then wait till tommorow.
There are no portrait yet for the walking corpse, so go ahead. ;)
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Great!

Give me a half and hour and i will post the work in progress for critque to ensure that i'm on the right track. It will be bigger then 205 x 205 but that is because i am doing it in Macromedia Flash which can shrink and enlarge images without bluring or distortion. I will then convert it to the correct size (and PNG format of course)
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Maybe i should post it now, before it gets more advanced and any ideas on the more base struture of the image becomes harder to impliment.

[Edit] Deleted attachment [edit]
Last edited by Pic on July 24th, 2006, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Pic wrote:Maybe i should post it now, before it gets more advanced and any ideas on the more base struture of the image becomes harder to impliment.
The linework looks pretty good (as an early version). However, it looks awfully serious for a walking corpse IMHO. :P I'd imagine that even in a portrait, a walking corpse would have his arms stretched towards the camera, looking for brains to eat. Even if you don't want the portrait to be all silly (still, I think that would fit a few select units, such as a walking corpse), this one looks like a powerful chap - something like an undead mage or at least like an intelligent creature, not a mindless zombie (which walking corpses are).

Also, the hair could be much more sparse for the unit to look more decayed. Now it looks like his hair is actually in a pretty good condition.
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Thanks for the input.

Don't worry about the hair, it was something i was working on before i read your post.

I see your point, he does look a bit like he has a few cogs working in his brain still. For the undead mage suggestion, do you think if i modified the lower end of him to added a hood down off the face it would be more appropriate?
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

I could even modify his clothing to the extent that he could be a portrait of this undead deathmaster unit (Although ive never seen ti in game, it's not campaign is it?)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Pic wrote:I see your point, he does look a bit like he has a few cogs working in his brain still. For the undead mage suggestion, do you think if i modified the lower end of him to added a hood down off the face it would be more appropriate?
Well...the only other undead unit that he looks a bit like is IMHO the dark adept. I guess a dark adept could or could not weak a hood in the portrait, but the hair at least fits them pretty well (you'll see when you check out 1.1.7). You'd have to make the skin colour normal again for that, though (well, it could be just a bit decayed or grayish, but the unit is still supposed to be very human).
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Like this?

Hair not complete.
Teeth and eye colour need to chage with skin tone change.
Sores need to change with skin tone change.

Opinions?
Last edited by Pic on July 26th, 2006, 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Try to keep the gore and stuff under the minumin needed.
Seems too dead for a dark Adept, they are living mages... no missing lips or skin sores. Maybe pale skin and a "early white hair".
Pic
Art Contributor

Post by Pic »

Point taken, although i did like the decaying bits, they don't really fit a Dark Adept.

I think the serious face does though, you have to be a pretty grim charater to study the dark arts.

I disagree with the white hair however for a couple of reasons.

1. Dark adept suggests someone quite young, i see no reason why study would whiten your hair.

2. It's a bit of a cliche for all wizardy fellows to have white hair IMHO
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

Yeah, I like the black hair and the expression on his face and the pose. It's very cool, and sinister. But, francisco is right that you need to tone down the gore a bit. For some reason, it looks gorier now that he has human skin.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Dealing with some forces makes you hair go white fast even if you are young (dont look at me in the original sprites I drew they were wearing hoods so no hair was shown)