Portraits [new here]

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

ree
Art Contributor

Portraits [new here]

Post by ree »

Hello everyone. A friend of mine nudged me here today asking me to download this game. Being Battle for Wesnoth obviously ;)
After trying the game he suggested I'd donate some of my artwork to this project which sounded like a good idea at the time, and since it still sounds like an excellent idea, I'm gonna go with it. :)

The portraits I'm about to post may not be the style you're looking for or fit to any of the current characters or monsters in the game. I'm sorry to say that none of these where made unquely for this game but rather made previously for some purpose but for have not been used, so if any of them could be set to use here I would be grateful. The first two paintings was done for Neverwinter nights portraits the two others are for two different competitions. Even though these images are previous work, if you like these I could probably find the time to make some portraits here and there for characters and monsters you need. But you can easly PM me or something about that.

I enjoy the game greatly, and will continue playing for quite some time, and would be happy to do some work on some spare time if needed.

The images:
Image Image Image Image

Hope you like them.
PS: I agree to GNU General Public License by posting these here.
- Jonny Ree
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Sweet.

And if you don't want to bother with the portrait requirements of Wesnoth (cell shading, comic-book style), you can always do story art, which we need more than portraits right now IMHO, and which can be more in the style of what you've posted.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
ree
Art Contributor

Post by ree »

Feel free to me PM me about storyscreens.
- Jonny Ree
JW

Post by JW »

Yes, those are very nice, and I agree with what turin said concerning story art. Pick a campaign you enjoy playing and help it out with your artwork. :wink:

ps, welcome to Wesnoth.
ree
Art Contributor

Post by ree »

JW wrote:Yes, those are very nice, and I agree with what turin said concerning story art. Pick a campaign you enjoy playing and help it out with your artwork. :wink:

ps, welcome to Wesnoth.
Not quite sure how I will go about it though, when where and which campaign. Doing such pices takes quite a while.. its worth it though but good to know how its done so I dont walk on to any problems.
- Jonny Ree
scott

Post by scott »

I feel bad saying this, because Heir to the Throne does have art already and other campaigns are deserving, but there are still several cutscenes that need to have the art updated and narrative screens that would really be enhanced by new art. The benefits of this are that the artwork is guaranteed to be shipped with the game.

On the other hand, I would say unit portraits really are a higher priority (and simpler/quicker work to boot). If you felt like making a dent in that area, many people would be eternally grateful.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
ree
Art Contributor

Post by ree »

Whatever works fine for me. I'm an assignment kind of guy though.. so just tell me what is needed and I'll put it on my to do list :)

I'm enjoying this game quite a lot.. so wouldnt mind helping out a bit.
- Jonny Ree
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Okay. Your official assignment from wesnoth's art director (hi), is to help finish up the images for heir to the throne. Dave had a rather ungainly list of them to do, but there are four you could start with:

If you look in wesnoth/data/campaigns/Heir_to_the_Throne/images/story, you will find the following four pictures which need to be replaced. I've attached jpegs of these images.

Feel free to interpret the composition/setting of these as you see fit - I've given you some background info that should help. The characters portrayed in these images are using the old character designs, please update them to fit the portraits which are included in the latest version of the campaign, and which I've linked below.

Story6 - "...but one of the orcs survived long enough to send the news to the queen..."
Notable info is that a battle was just fought at a crossroads between hilly/mountainous ground, and the orc is presumably going to Weldyn (The capitol where the evil queen lives).

Story7 - "...and she sent her most able commander."
This should probably depict the princess, lisar. You can change her costuming, although she as a character is partial to the traditional provencial french blue set against her blond hair - feel free to break this if you really see fit, it's just a suggestion.

Story9 - "But the voyage did not go as smoothly as had been hoped. A storm blew up and bore down on the ship. Though all hands were on deck working desperately, a sudden gust of wind flung Konrad overboard as he attempted to secure the sails..."
On the level before this, Konrad & Delfador had saved a bunch of mermen from enslavement, on the level afterwards, Konrad is stranded on an island where the desperate inhabitants are fighting a losing guerilla battle against some undead who have taken up residence. Konrad has only the mermen and the inhabitants to work with, and can either rescue them, or hold out long enough to run.

arrival_of_the_heir - This should depict Konrad, Delfador, and Lis'ar looking over a hill at the capital city of weldyn.

Current character portraits:
Konrad
Lisar
Delfador

I'll attach some additional info in another message, so stay posted...
Attachments
story6.jpg
story6.jpg (19.27 KiB) Viewed 8399 times
story7.jpg
story7.jpg (19.62 KiB) Viewed 8388 times
story9.jpg
story9.jpg (17.21 KiB) Viewed 8389 times
arrival_of_the_heir.jpg
arrival_of_the_heir.jpg (22.07 KiB) Viewed 8390 times
Last edited by Jetrel on June 26th, 2006, 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Style: As far as the target style for these images, we would like you to produce something that will mesh as well as it can with the other story pictures in HttT.

Image format: We would really prefer to receive the images in a lossless format (Tiff, or 24bit-PNG) at anywhere from 640x480 to 1024x768. We can work out ways to make the image transfer possible if these are a bit unwieldy to send.

Finally, I'd close the "briefing" with a bit of a warning. This is an open-source game, and we do a lot of collaborative work here. In order to save scads of talking*, we may dare to make edits of your work. We, especially myself, respect your right to an author's control over his own work - you have the final say over whether such an edit goes in or does not. But we may make edits for your review without warning. And we may also make derivative works (wallpaper images, etc.) without your permission. You have been warned, please don't get mad at us if we do.

This has caused some problems before - I trust that you can be professional enough to work in this way.

* The usual "picture is worth a thousand words business" - rather than waste hours describing something, some of us (like myself) would communicate it better by just drawing it. Not merely saving time, but also communicating more clearly.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Little update - Ree has PMed me, and said he will be working on this. :)
ree
Art Contributor

Post by ree »

Yeah, I'm working on them :)
as for the images at the top of this thread: My server is currenly down, motherboard melted (not kidding). Anyway when they come back up, everyone can feel free to use them for their personal campaigns. These are now dedicated to the community even though it doesnt fit the original style.

Stay tuned for artwork later next week
- Jonny Ree
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

ree wrote:Yeah, I'm working on them :)
as for the images at the top of this thread: My server is currenly down, motherboard melted (not kidding). Anyway when they come back up, everyone can feel free to use them for their personal campaigns. These are now dedicated to the community even though it doesnt fit the original style.

Stay tuned for artwork later next week
Thanks - after we get these worked in, HttT could use a few other story pictures - that is, a few for the epilogue. Dave has a (long-ish) list of the different text cues - I'll post them then. You can basically pick and choose from them which ones you find most interesting to do.

:( Right now, winning the campaign is a major letdown, because you get rewarded with a simple: "The End." Not even one, single picture.
ree
Art Contributor

Post by ree »

Between work, I havent had too much time to work on the images this summer. I have started on one though which I'm posting a preview of the sketch with some basic colours to it. I'm trying to capture the style of the other story images.
Attachments
PSD-Sea-sketch.jpg
PSD-Sea-sketch.jpg (91.13 KiB) Viewed 7543 times
- Jonny Ree
scott

Post by scott »

I love the colors and light, but I must point out that mermen have one big horizontal fin south of their torso.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

:D Excellent work, that was certainly worth the wait.
It's almost criminal to point this out, but I think* Wesnothian mermen have either the traditional fish tail or a more serpentine rear-end, rather then actual legs. However, I'm sure nobody will mind if you call creative license on this.

*I'm not 100% certain on that, someone correct me if I'm wrong.