Request for update to wiki.

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Zhukov
Art Contributor

Request for update to wiki.

Post by Zhukov »

This extremely useful page seems to have become slightly out of date. Particularly the size specifications, which appear to have been overtaken by Creeping Biggerism. Also, some mention of Team Colour and a link to the TC tutorial wouldn't hurt.

Could one of the Art Devs (Jetryl?) please update the page with the current requirements. I would do it myself but I am unsure exactly what those requirements are.

I think an up-to-date version would be a useful reference, especially for new sprite artists. Also, potential artists could be pointed to it if they have questions.

Thanks.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Aw come on people. Over 100 views and no replies? Not even a "no" or a "this thread is useless, locking now"...?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I have no opinion. ;)
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
scott

Post by scott »

This is a do-it-yourself kind of crowd. I suggest you do it yourself, even/especially if it will be wrong. Then, whichever perfectionists live amongst us will rush to correct whatever you put in there. It's easier than them making it from scratch.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

:cry: I guess I'd ... get ... around ... to it. Eventually.

If you want to punch in numbers, the heights for the elvish fighter and dwarven thunderer are correct, and are the "standards" for their races.

The other ones are still a bit up-in-the-air as to what they'll end up being.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Jetryl wrote:If you want to punch in numbers, the heights for the elvish fighter and dwarven thunderer are correct, and are the "standards" for their races.

Actually, the Elvish Fighter is 44 pixels tall, while all of the other elves hover at around 41. There's quite a bit of difference between 44 and 40...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote:
Jetryl wrote:If you want to punch in numbers, the heights for the elvish fighter and dwarven thunderer are correct, and are the "standards" for their races.

Actually, the Elvish Fighter is 44 pixels tall, while all of the other elves hover at around 41. There's quite a bit of difference between 44 and 40...
You do realize that those are all slated for replacement, right? Go look in the team color thread, and measure heights from there, not from the existing units.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Jetryl wrote:
turin wrote: Actually, the Elvish Fighter is 44 pixels tall, while all of the other elves hover at around 41. There's quite a bit of difference between 44 and 40...
You do realize that those are all slated for replacement, right? Go look in the team color thread, and measure heights from there, not from the existing units.
:shock: You're replacing all the elves!? Umm...pardon the curiosity of the ignorant and all, but why?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:
Jetryl wrote: You do realize that those are all slated for replacement, right? Go look in the team color thread, and measure heights from there, not from the existing units.
:shock: You're replacing all the elves!? Umm...pardon the curiosity of the ignorant and all, but why?
Proper Team Coloration. Right now, the team colors that were applied to a number of the elves (captain, hero, marshal, etc) look like a hack job, because that's exactly what it was. To do team coloration right, we need more control over the saturation/brightness, which is precisely what the magenta scheme gives us - those were team colored without changing a single pixel.

I'm using this as an excuse to improve other areas of those sprites. Not absolutely necessary, but well worth the time.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

:shock: So, uh, the elves are all going to be as tall as the elvish fighter is?

Rejoice, for creeping biggerism is back...
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

turin wrote::shock: So, uh, the elves are all going to be as tall as the elvish fighter is?

Rejoice, for creeping biggerism is back...
What the hell?!? It never left! This is what I've been saying all along!
This image, posted in this thread, is (nearly) what they're going to look like. Read what I fricking write, turin!

I did not change my mind, I did not waver on my position; this has been my plan, and continues to be it.

Image I swear, working with this development team is sometimes like being a member of the chinese communist party, and I do _not_ mean that in a good way.

In fact - just to drive my point home, look at the following consistent difference between the height of the L3 troll, and the tallest elves that will be around. This was precisely what I had intended to have happen.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

I'm not against creeping biggerism for it's own sake, proper TC certainly merits a change. Besides, the new elves look good (not sure about those banner things, but that's your business).

Don't get me wrong, I don't seek to question the decisions of the omnipotent art director. But isn't this going to create the need to redo other sprites? The Orcish Assassin and Archer now look like infants (twins ;)). I'm sure the Ogres have already been brought to your attention. Do you have plans for these?
Attachments
Numbers indicate difference of height in pixels.
Numbers indicate difference of height in pixels.
Comparison.png (9.41 KiB) Viewed 6748 times
scott

Post by scott »

So we aren't supposed to fight creeping biggerism? Did someone tell Darth Fool? I'm so confused. :P
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Of course you can fight CB. Thing is, it looks like you will have to get through Jetryl first ;).

Are we going to be seeing a titanic clash of wills between Jetryl and Darth?

Regarding CB itself, at some point in time is there going to be an absolute size limit for the various races?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Zhukov wrote:The Orcish Assassin and Archer now look like infants (twins ;)).
Those are basically goblins; though the distinction is not clear, because orcs and goblins are both of the same mother; goblins are stunted by bad genes, ill treatment, malnutrition, or any of the above.

Eleazar has considered changing their race/name to goblin; I think it might not hurt to do that. Especially if they both change race as they advance.

As in LotR, Goblin = short orc.
Zhukov wrote:I'm sure the Ogres have already been brought to your attention. Do you have plans for these?
They're getting much bigger. Ogres usually are typified as being bigger than a man, and they're only two units. Neo did a bit of work which might work well, so long as I give it a more human-flesh color, rather than grey.

• As for the undead, the upgrades to the Dark Adept will be completely replaced, but curiously, the rest of the race is just about the right size for my upgrades. The exception is the necrophage, which is being made bigger, and the existing graphics for L2 bumped down to L1.

• The dwarves will remain the same, with the dragonguard perhaps losing a pixel or two.

• The humans - well, they're halfways done. Not much to change in what's left, although the Cavalier is going to grow up to being not quite but nearly as imposing as the Grand knight.

• The elves, I just explained.

• The drakes will not be changed in size when/if they teamcolor.

• The saurians have already been changed.

• The trolls will get much bigger (see neo's edits).

• The woses ... are big (see neo's edits).

• The mermen might change a bit, the naga wouldn't, and I have no idea what I'd do to teamcolor them, now. Not a priority.

Clear?
I feel as though I've already typed this into the forum ... several times. :?