Impassable pointy Rocks

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Impassable pointy Rocks

Post by Eleazar »

i've gotten tired of seeing cave wall used as the blocking terrain.

here's a rough of my idea for impassable terrain.
Imagine this as steep, jagged, (volcanic?) rock.
this will use the transition template i used for chasm only upside-down, which should allow them to look very steep.
Attachments
pointy-rocks.jpg
pointy-rocks.jpg (100.45 KiB) Viewed 7696 times
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

Sounds like a good idea.

Still perhaps the problem would be solved by calling "Cave Wall" "Solid Rock" (or some other name that doesn't refer explicitly to caves). It makes sense you might have Solid Rock either in a cave or outdoors.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Did you say impassable mountain terra...My prayers have been answered! :D

I guess I should reserve judgment on the art until you include those transitions (a good idea btw), but I would be curious to see what it would look like with larger and fewer 'points'. As it is, it looks a little...well, crowded. Then again, that may just be my personal aesthetics at work.

But the idea is certainly a sound one. I look forward to seeing this happen.
Noy
Inactive Developer

Post by Noy »

I've always said, I think the void option is the best. Like an impassable hole in the earth that goes through space.
freim

Post by freim »

Noy wrote:I've always said, I think the void option is the best. Like an impassable hole in the earth that goes through space.
I have been trying to make impassable "rocky" terrain also and never got them the way I wanted them. I think it will be very hard to pull off making them look high enough, since they should be even larger than the current mountains to achieve this impression.

A void terrain made from the star filled one yobbo made would be nice. I have one lying around I modified somewhat, could finish that one if there's any int.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Noy wrote:I've always said, I think the void option is the best. Like an impassable hole in the earth that goes through space.
Rejoice then, because you've been able to do that for years. Use " " (space).
Personally i find the idea visually and conceptually unpleasing, which is why i'm working on something harder to do.

Making a perfecly obvious impassable mountain will be quite difficult, but it should be possible to something more convincing than the cave wall.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I myself like the idea of mountains that are covered in clouds; so that you just have a large wall of clouds surrounding a map.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

I don't know if void is "the best" however I agree void is definitely "the best so far" and we should really push MP maps to use that instead of cave walls.

I don't think it looks that bad, however one of the things I learnt while working on wesnoth is that my art opinion is usually rather bad :roll: and conceptually, the "void in the map" is the most understandable thing we had so far gameplay wise

so I'd say stay with void unless someone has a really good looking replacement, but I doubt it.

So far Eleazar's replacement isn't good enough, but I also learnt that you shouldn't turn down WiP, they can be terrible but lead to terrific final art...
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
freim

Post by freim »

Neoriceisgood wrote:I myself like the idea of mountains that are covered in clouds; so that you just have a large wall of clouds surrounding a map.
I also like this idea. In fact it could use the current mountains as a bg. So the only thing needed to be made is the clouds themselves. I can easily make the WML for this to happen.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

the graphics don't look as good as they did last night.
still i think the concept is solid.
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Did anyone else have flashback to Monty Python and the Holy Grail while reading this thread?

The cloud over mountains idea sounds interesting... hoping it can be pulled off convincingly.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

Personally, I think that volcanoes should be used for impassable terrain. The volcanic gases, ash, and high turbulence would explain why no flying units can pass over it, whereas simply jagged rocks don't really give the impression that flyers should be stopped.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Darth Fool wrote:Personally, I think that volcanoes should be used for impassable terrain. The volcanic gases, ash, and high turbulence would explain why no flying units can pass over it, whereas simply jagged rocks don't really give the impression that flyers should be stopped.
I don't object to such a terrain existing, but planting volcanoes wherever you want to block fliers is nearly as contrived/arbitrary as a mystical void/magical barrier/or cave wall. Though i'd really like to see the lava tiles poison those who stop on them.

I talked with frame about the clouds, and now think that it could be pulled off relatively easily.
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Eleazar wrote:I talked with frame about the clouds, and now think that it could be pulled off relatively easily.
The more I think about it, I think we should have an opposite of the chasm - a 60ish degree rock face that stretches up (rather than down). When it gets far enough up, it vanishes into the clouds, and becomes transparent after that.

This would be the visual way to draw these "impassible mountains".
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Jetryl wrote:
Eleazar wrote:I talked with frame about the clouds, and now think that it could be pulled off relatively easily.
The more I think about it, I think we should have an opposite of the chasm - a 60ish degree rock face that stretches up (rather than down). When it gets far enough up, it vanishes into the clouds, and becomes transparent after that.

This would be the visual way to draw these "impassible mountains".
In some tests done previously the transparent topped mountians didn't work out well, especially with layering over other transparent-topped mountians.
I like the idea of steeper mountians, but it's a ton of work.
The current cloudly graphics could be much improved, but that would require only a fraction of the work it would take to do new steeper mountains.
so, for now, i'm just going to make the clouds prettier.
Attempting Lucidity