Woses Revamp

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Woses Revamp

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I hate the current woses.
Attachments
woses.png
woses.png (105.12 KiB) Viewed 6537 times
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Very well done! I like the mini-wose best. I will call him Charlotte.
toms

Post by toms »

I agree that the current woses are not cool, but I can´t become a friend of these, sorry. :(
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

IMO they look in the wrong direction.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
toms

Post by toms »

I found out what looks strange. it´s the leaves. They look very much compressed to a ball. Maybe you can do a tweak, neo?
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Re: Woses Revamp

Post by Eleazar »

Neoriceisgood wrote:I hate the current woses.
Neo:
i never hated the Woses before, but now i see how flat and pixelated they are. 8) I like what you are going for. I see what you meant on IRC that the L2 & L3 were too similar, while the size is different, the images were so similar it is easy to confuse them if you only see one.

Please make the L3 as big as possible (even if that means forcing his feet below the normal baseline) since it/he's supposed to be the biggest mainline unit. In fact i'd "biggerize" them all as much as you can while still keeping each level distinct. Higher levels having darker bark or leaves might help.

The real trick will be TColoring them. I've though about adding TColored flowers/fruit among the leaves, but i don't know how well that would work. Do you have another idea?

P.S. Toms, Tux2B please think twice before posting in art topics. You may be making positive contributions elsewhere, but in art IMO it's usually spam.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

IMHO, while they look nice, they don't look enough like trees, probably because there is not that much folliage compared to the "trunk", especially on the L2.
What about making the foliage wider on the upper part ? i think this would look better.

About TColor, it might not be easy ... Some fruit or colored leaves might be an idea, but with some colors like cyan this would look unnatural.... Perhaps a TColored loincloth ? It might look stange btw.
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Tcolored fruit would rule! :wink:
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

Fruit Tcolours would be an easy solution, and the one that would rule if we can't find out something else, but is it really good? A wose with fruits would seem quite odd, IMHO.

Concerning the art itself, I'd give you the following hints:
* can you make them look less at the right direction?
* same as Toms
* they should look a little bit more like a tree. It looks a little too flat (leaves, but also trunk). Here, they look too 'human'. They don't look like trees well enough (most of all the hands)

Other than that, keep going! Woses have always been hard to do.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

a tree has a very special silhouette... one of the things that made the old wose look much like tree is that the body was very thin and the foliage very large.

Neo your new ones sertainly look better, but they would look more treelike if the body was thiner and the head proportionally larger....
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Alks

Post by Alks »

Nice. They have the advantage over the trolls, that they do look well, when accompanied by elves. Wose with elvish shaman aside looks pretty well.
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

A more visible tcolour idea, braught to you by Tomsik.
Attachments
woses.png
woses.png (4.31 KiB) Viewed 6360 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I think I have to vote no on the bird. It looks either out of place or like the unit has a "bird" attack - it sends its bird to peck your eyes out.

I'm not convinced that Tcolor is important enough to have to deform the image trying to get it on the unit. I think the berries and eyes (and perhaps only the berries) is enough tcolor.

As for the trees themselves, I find it odd how the color of the bark changes as he levels. That may indeed b how trees grow, I dunno, but it still looks odd. Other than that, they're better than the current woses.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

turin wrote:I think I have to vote no on the bird. It looks either out of place or like the unit has a "bird" attack - it sends its bird to peck your eyes out.
Being discussed on IRC right now.
turin wrote: I'm not convinced that Tcolor is important enough to have to deform the image trying to get it on the unit. I think the berries and eyes (and perhaps only the berries) is enough tcolor.
I thought that aswell.
turin wrote: As for the trees themselves, I find it odd how the color of the bark changes as he levels. That may indeed b how trees grow, I dunno, but it still looks odd. Other than that, they're better than the current woses
As woses only "grow" they aren't as easy to differate as other units; I gave a slight palette change in the bark to make them more different, nothing anyone would notice in my eyes.

Wider foilage because people complained about it on IRC.
Attachments
woses.png
woses.png (4.58 KiB) Viewed 6349 times
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

The bird is an absolute no. Flowers or fruit would work better for TC stuff. The eyes being TC is also a pretty good idea.

I think I would make foliage that is wider, and also - more broken at the edges. Make them more ... shaggy. Most trees I've seen only have such cleanly-defined crowns if they've been groomed to be that way, and woses are essentially wild by nature.

That said, these are shaping up pretty nice.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!