Cartography for Wesnoth

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Jetryl wrote:Image
Very clever. The labels detract from the rest of it*, but otherwise it looks good.

* Labels are too crisp and solid, appear to be hovering. Color Burn would probably work better. I'd prefer using my own, although I'd like a copy of that font.

Also, do you have a font named Imperial? I need to get that again, but can't find it on the web.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Nice texture. 8)
quartex wrote:I miss some of the smaller labels that are on the official map, but that is one beautiful map.
Scott complained that the older version of this map (used on the title screen) had labels that were mostly illegible. I removed them and put in fewer and bigger lables with HttT in mind. A campaign emphasizing different locations should probably have different lables.

P.S. does the name "Westin" appear anywhere other than South Guard?
I'd like to change it, because having "Westin" and "Weldyn" as capitol of a province and capitol of a nation is too confusing.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Eleazar wrote:P.S. does the name "Westin" appear anywhere other than South Guard?
I'd like to change it, because having "Westin" and "Weldyn" as capitol of a province and capitol of a nation is too confusing.
How exactly is that confusing enough to warrant a change, though?

:?
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Kestenvarn wrote:
Eleazar wrote:P.S. does the name "Westin" appear anywhere other than South Guard?
Edit: Ah, read that wrong. How exactly is that confusing enough to warrant a change, again?
IMHO the names sound too similar, and have half their letters in common: We***n

BTW on the big map you've done Westin seems rather far away.
Also it should be situated at the bend of a river, that comes (or goes) from the NW and loops around to the E- SE.

I'd like to eventually get a set of consistant maps for the SG campaign, but i suppose the geography needs to be nailed down first.

I used Trajan Pro (from Adobe) and for the fancy initials Flormiel (from The Scriptorium Font Library) neither are free fonts.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Eleazar wrote:BTW on the big map you've done Westin seems rather far away.
Also it should be situated at the bend of a river, that comes (or goes) from the NW and loops around to the E- SE.
aelius wrote:Image
This is what the campaign creator gave me to work with in the old thread... I was figuring on sticking with it...
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

Sorry about the somewhat off-topic, but I have a question that comes from a post made in another thread.
over [url=http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10360&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=]here[/url], turin wrote:...and moved West, across the northern ice, and settled in the tundra to the north of the Marauders...
Does this mean there is a north pole of some kind that joins the two major continents? (This may be important for something I am planning.)

I thought, seeing as this thread appears frequented by makers of maps, this would be the place to go for an answer on matter of geography.

Thanks.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Hmm, maybe the remnants of a land bridge should be added off the northwest coast?

Edit: If there are any other maps that can be used as resources toward making a global one - please post links to their thread/page here, so I can be made aware of them... not having to blindly hunt each and every one of down.

Didn't realize until now that there were ones of the other continent as detailed as those found in the Imperial Era thread, which I only clicked on a whim.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

http://exong.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4#4

Blargle, that's my limit for today. Experimenting with a few things based on the following PM, looking for input...
scott wrote:Long ago, the Heir to the Throne storyline made sense because the old map was arranged differently. Then, we received this great new map, and lots of things changed position. It made several things much harder to figure out when charting the progress of our fearless heroes.

The main problem is that they basically travel back into the center of the country straight into the army that is chasing them. This is only because the map features were rearranged thusly.

I can think of some relatively minor changes that would be a great deal of help. I'll propose them to you, and if you are inclined to help, agree with the changes, and think it won't be too much trouble to fix up, then I'll bring the idea to the rest of the group.

Here are the changes I'm asking for:

1. Gryphon mountain (since it's "fabled" after all) gets moved outside of Wesnoth, due north of the Ford of Abez where the hills are now. The mega-mountain can stay or Gryphon mountain can become the mega mountain (but that's a little far north for it).

2. A road leads east from Carcyn to the Ford of Abez [very] loosely following the river. Somewhere along the way this road is intersected by another road that starts in Dan'Tonk and goes NW through the hills. The Carcyn/Abez road crosses-the-T of the 2nd road.

3. There should be some sort of outpost or fort at the Ford of Abez, but it would be ruined or abandoned.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Kestenvarn wrote:Hmm, maybe the remnants of a land bridge should be added off the northwest coast?
That's what I was thinking. Like the one that existed between Russia and Alaska at some point... perhaps it is solidified in winter, when the ice freezes.

Kestenvarn wrote:Edit: If there are any other maps that can be used as resources toward making a global one - please post links to their thread/page here, so I can be made aware of them... not having to blindly hunt each and every one of down.

Didn't realize until now that there were ones of the other continent as detailed as those found in the Imperial Era thread, which I only clicked on a whim.
I'll post the Old Continent map here when I'm done with it.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Kestenvarn wrote:
Eleazar wrote:BTW on the big map you've done Westin seems rather far away.
aelius wrote:Image
This is what the campaign creator gave me to work with in the old thread... I was figuring on sticking with it...
Hmmm, i was going by the story map and the scenario map of Westin. The story map will probably be redone, but i'd rather leave the scenario map alone. (since it's used 3 times in SG) Going by the scenario map, the road from fort Tahn is on the East side of the river where it crosses over to Westin on the West bank.
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me for the road to cross the river east only to cross it west again when it reaches the city, but okay...

They'd either have to make two unnecessary bridges or go through the hassle of fording/ferrying the river each time.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Kestenvarn wrote:Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me for the road to cross the river east only to cross it west again when it reaches the city, but okay...

They'd either have to make two unnecessary bridges or go through the hassle of fording/ferrying the river each time.
Good point.
here's how i'd harmonize things, (see attachment)
crossing the river twice is the shortest path between 2 points because of the way the river could bend.
Attachments
SGmap.jpg
SGmap.jpg (89.48 KiB) Viewed 8502 times
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Two things. First, eleazar, could you send me and Kestenvarn a copy of that fancy font you used for "Unpleasant Forest" (if it's freeware, or otherwise legal) ? Not that I don't have enough fonts already, but a few more in the arsenal never hurts. :P

Second, this is step two of my edit to that "weathered Httt" map. In this edit, I touched up the edges. Edges on tattered paper should never be blurry, as they occasionally were. The closest thing that can happen is the shredding of the fibers. Also, what will often happen along tattered edges, and also interior creases, is that the interior fibers of the paper, when exposed, will reveal themselves as the uncolored core of the paper that they are, even if ink has soaked into some of the page. This is especially true of older and thicker paper.

For this, I scanned in several edges of pages from older volumes in my college's library. Superimposing those with a linear burn allowed me to redefine the tattering along the edge of the map.

I also applied a very light displacement map to the image, to break the labels and linework off the strict 2d plane they had originally been rendered on.

This map has been committed to replace the wesnoth-httt.jpg file, in the images/maps directory.
Attachments
wesnoth-httt.jpg
wesnoth-httt.jpg (281.19 KiB) Viewed 8393 times
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

Jetryl wrote:Two things. First, eleazar, could you send me and Kestenvarn a copy of that fancy font you used for "Unpleasant Forest" (if it's freeware, or otherwise legal)
Here are a few fonts that could work for this sort of thing.
Note: please read the text file, some of these fonts are shareware with restrictions. The ones without text files are to the best of my knowledge freeware.
Attachments
ArchaicFonts.zip
(256.3 KiB) Downloaded 692 times
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Do those fonts work with Windows? The zip file seems to have a Macintosh layout...

Hmm, googled for the source and found this page. Also ran into the fancy font used by World of Warcraft for the in-game books and letters. Doesn't seem as though they made it themselves...

Update... I found the missing font I had used in this old map, and intend to use in future ones as well from now on... you can get it here.