Cartography for Wesnoth

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

I've been redoing all of the icons pixel by pixel with the Pencil tool; they should look much cleaner now, considering I was using the Brush tool before and the transparencies were growing very sloppy. In the first post I've added a section explaining how I add these icons to the map.

Still several more to add, but inventing these new symbols is rather neat.

Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Kestenvarn, would you object to me using some of your terrain features / icons / etc. for an alternative tileset in the new Wercator (with appropriate credit, of course)? If you're okay with it, do you by any chance have a scratch sheet with terrain features and so on, similar to the icon sheet you posted above? Thanks!
Author of Wercator
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I think I can guess how the landmarks and rivers are done, (though I welcome such a tutorial), but the one I'm really holding out for is the one on how the mountains are done. Which might be "Adding Elevation".

Those are really the crown jewels of these maps you've made.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Quensul wrote:Kestenvarn, would you object to me using some of your terrain features / icons / etc. for an alternative tileset in the new Wercator (with appropriate credit, of course)? If you're okay with it, do you by any chance have a scratch sheet with terrain features and so on, similar to the icon sheet you posted above? Thanks!
Sure, go ahead. Most of the terrain has to be painted on, so that might not work very well, but the landmarks can be copy and pasted easily enough.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Kestenvarn wrote:Sure, go ahead. Most of the terrain has to be painted on, so that might not work very well, but the landmarks can be copy and pasted easily enough.
All righty - thanks. The current/old tileset is heavily based on Benj's map, so it may be more workable than you might think, especially with some of Wercator's new tricks. We'll have to see. :-)
Author of Wercator
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Another thing... I'm going to making a copy of the world map with no names, towns, roads, etc... maybe Wercator could take that as a background and paste the stuff on top?

I dunno, I've never used your program before.
scott

Post by scott »

Kestenvarn wrote:Another thing... I'm going to making a copy of the world map with no names, towns, roads, etc... maybe Wercator could take that as a background and paste the stuff on top?

I dunno, I've never used your program before.
The Rise of Wesnoth needs one of these unlabeled maps. Awesome.

There should be maps for the Green Isle and Morogor, and if you don't have them I'll edit this post with links.

I added Morogor. It's somewhat contraversial in that this may not exactly match what Mad Max thinks Morogor looks like. Maybe he'll chime in.

Green Isle: Image

Morogor: Image
Last edited by scott on March 23rd, 2006, 7:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Links please, it'll save me the searching.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Ah, what scale are those set to compared to the rest of the world? (Is the Green Isle the size of the nation of Wesnoth, etc.)
scott

Post by scott »

I would say the Green Isle is the size of the country of Wesnoth and Morogor is 1/4 the isze of the Green Isle. I'm not sure though.

The Green Isle is somewhere between the 2 continents, and Morogor is between the Green Isle and Wesnoth.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Quensul
Art Contributor

Post by Quensul »

Kestenvarn wrote:Another thing... I'm going to making a copy of the world map with no names, towns, roads, etc... maybe Wercator could take that as a background and paste the stuff on top?
Hrm... maybe. The issue there is registering the annotations with the terrain - when Wercator generates a map, it places everything on a grid, so things line up. A better solution would probably be to use some of Wercator's functionality to whip up something that takes a non-annotated map and a list of annotations + coordinates, then outputs the combination. If that would be a useful tool, I'll look into it once I get Wercator 0.5 out the door.
Author of Wercator
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Planning on working with Maragor next, I think. Have to redo all the PoI icons I made by hand because the black transparencies were too dark, and I can't select colors based on the level of transparency in Photoshop.

Was also thinking about trying out a more calligraphic style for small-scale maps.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

I'll be gone for about five days visiting the folks and hanging out with friends.

For Maragor, I tried using the style from this recently done map, but not very satisfied with how it's turned out so far...

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Kestenvarn wrote:I'll be gone for about five days visiting the folks and hanging out with friends.

For Maragor, I tried using the style from this recently done map, but not very satisfied with how it's turned out so far...
Just out of curiosity, where/what is that land from?
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

http://www.kanar.org

(Good thing my brother has net access...)