Cartography for Wesnoth

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Yey.

Added it to the tutorials page - I know there might be more to come, but it's still useful as-is. Thanks a lot!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

New section. If you folks come up with any ideas or questions while I'm making this, post 'em here or on the wiki discussion page.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Reviving the old discussion about that one river...here's a somewhat detailed suggestion on what to do with it. I did sever the connection to the southeast river without any particular reason, but that might be a good chance nevertheless (or for example connecting them with a small swamp). So, the river would flow from the hills in the middle to the ocean, and it would join with that small one flowing from the mountains. I wouldn't mind the river connecting to the ocean near the junction of those two rivers (where the island is) instead of turning to the northwest, but that's not highly important, I guess.

This is all just to make the map work with my campaign and vice versa, though, so feel free to ignore this if you have better reasons for making the river work in some other way. So...any chances of getting it like this? :)
Attachments
northlands-river.jpg
northlands-river.jpg (72.67 KiB) Viewed 7295 times
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Hey! A post!

That proposal is completely nonsensical in terms of design, but that doesn't really matter, since the rest of the map doesn't make a lick of sense itself. It'd have to be redone from scratch for that - a little too late now.

I'll change it when I start working on the map again if one of the developers is okay with the idea.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Kestenvarn wrote:That proposal is completely nonsensical in terms of design, but that doesn't really matter, since the rest of the map doesn't make a lick of sense itself.
What in that particular river doesn't make sense? I can't find anything that couldn't be explained reasonably easily, unless of course you refer to something about how rivers are formed and how a river like that just wouldn't form naturally (how can't even that be explained with terrain height differences?).

I'd suggest that there's some odd huge spring in the hills where the river originates from (and likewise, the one from the mountains is formed by melting snow or the water flows to it from the nearby lake through an underground canal or something).

But hey, cool, thanks. :)
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

zookeeper wrote:you refer to something about how rivers are formed and how a river like that just wouldn't form naturally
That's exactly it. None of the other ones really make sense, either, so you should be okay. As for terrain height, there are a ton of shortcuts most of them could take to the sea.
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

Just state that the continent of Wesnoth has a very unusual ground structure where strangely located weak parts led to rivers flowing in unusual ways. Near the area where I live a river forms a U where the top parts are even closer together - on a very small area! Such a formation is unusual as well but I've seen it with my own eyes and it's not artificial either.
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Question for developers: would it be possible to have a base map and the icons/names as seperate files, with the campaign creator placing said icons wherever they want on the chosen map?

Also, can the Wesnoth engine use different types of blending - like Color Burn?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Kestenvarn wrote:Question for developers: would it be possible to have a base map and the icons/names as seperate files, with the campaign creator placing said icons wherever they want on the chosen map?
Yes.
Kestenvarn wrote:Also, can the Wesnoth engine use different types of blending - like Color Burn?
No.
Eleazar
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by Eleazar »

Kestenvarn wrote:Question for developers: would it be possible to have a base map and the icons/names as seperate files, with the campaign creator placing said icons wherever they want on the chosen map?

Also, can the Wesnoth engine use different types of blending - like Color Burn?
If you want to provide something like that, i think it's more pratical to expect that they assemble it in GIMP or PShop.
Last edited by Eleazar on December 29th, 2006, 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Practical perhaps... but would it be likely?

Would providing these resources be something people would find an
immediate use for, eventually used, or be forgotten?
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

Campaign writers could probably find immediate uses for this, since they could do any age of wesnoth, with whatever cities they wanted, at will.
Eleazar wrote:
Kestenvarn wrote:Also, can the Wesnoth engine use different types of blending - like Color Burn?

If you want to provide something like that, i think it's more pratical to expect that they assemble it in GIMP or PShop
However, if you burn the final color of the symbols (burning in the change that would happen to the originally-black symbols after they'd been color-burned onto the canvas) into them, you could approximate this with a straight overlay.

E.g, making the symbols a dark maroon instead of black.
Kestenvarn
Inactive Developer

Post by Kestenvarn »

Alrighty... also wanted to get rid of the current forests, making it similar to the
one below. They don't add much more than noise, in their current form.

Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Kestenvarn I used your map of Wesnoth as a basis for the first (to my knowledge) large semi-accurate map of Wesnoth. It might even make it a multiplayer map, as I think many would find it fun to play in Wesnoth.

If the [map] tags worked with 1.32 maps I would post it up here for you guys to look at. I might even go so far as to sugggest the best way to store the "official" map would be as a Wesnoth map (obviosuly this would need to be separate from the playable version as it would include everythign and not have keeps). Of course we would still need all the pretty drawings for a variety of reasons. Myth has talked about using it as a minimap for moving your troops in his next campaign.

It is in my mappack which is on the development campaign server and posted in the MP Dev forum. I would be willing to take up responsibility for maintaining one as the playable version and one as a form of record (that would include all areas etc.). My impression from reading materials when I was making it is that there is still much inconsistancy in the Wesnoth universe.

Also as someone who studied geography in school and just knows a ton fo it, don't worry about making nonsense rivers, most rivers look like nonsense and it is very easy to come up with elief features that would make them look such. Look at southeast asia for instance, the rivers there have really goofy drainage basins.

-Bec
Assistant Map Developer
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle