Troll Revamp (serious attempt)

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Zhukov wrote:Ok, I bow to the inevitable. I'm not going to kick up a fuss if there is overwhelming support for Neorice's graphics.

EDIT:
Eleazar wrote:The primary reason for doing new Troll graphics, is the old ones (for L2 & L3) are extremly similar to some non GPL game.
I didn't know about this. It's certainly a solid reason for change.
They're some of the very first wesnoth graphics, which were based for a great deal on Tactics Ogre.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

These graphics can be found here : http://www.geocities.com/fmunoz_/wesnoth/tree.html , but I don't remember where I had found the screenshot showing a screenshot of Wesnoth and one of that other game next to it.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

http://tsgk.captainn.net/index.php?p=sh ... y=8&ga=316

Ogre battle sprites
go down to A10 to see what the old troll was based upon.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Neo: These graphics are better than the current troll graphics. However, I do think they could be improved in several areas, most importantly the position of the head on the troll whelp. If you fixed that, I suspect you would get much fewer complaints. (And they would look better. ;) )
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

I should really post the current versions of the trolls; considering I fixed the troll whelp like a whole day ago now.
Attachments
trollz.png
trollz.png (270.12 KiB) Viewed 4933 times
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Cool. A lot better now.

I think I prefer the new greenish color instead of the cyan... which are you going to use?
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Personally I prefer the green, as the cyan one looked unnatural;

But I added an example of the cyan one as certain people (ep) decided they prefer unnatural trolls.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

I think I prefer the old new troll champion without the rock at the end of the tree trunk. I also liked the more ratty loin cloth that someone else had tried. Despite these nitpicks (wouldn't be wesnoth without them) These are definitely an improvement over the old trolls.
pekka
Art Contributor

Post by pekka »

Great work Neo! Are these trolls bigger than 72*72 pixels? Is it possible to draw bigger unit graphics now than that? At least the troll with the tree would need quite large sized attack animations.
Darth Fool
Retired Developer

Post by Darth Fool »

pekka wrote:Great work Neo! Are these trolls bigger than 72*72 pixels? Is it possible to draw bigger unit graphics now than that? At least the troll with the tree would need quite large sized attack animations.
The standing image is the only image that is constrained to fit in the hex. All animations can leak outside the boundaries of the hex.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Actually, there is one issue that was brought up in the locked thread (the one in Art Contrib that EP started) that you might be interested in. It appears that the color chosen for the troll is very similar to the color of the ground:
This could have an undesirably "camoulflage" effect. Perhaps it could be fixed by making the green on the troll less saturated...
The World of Orbivm
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

We could also make them grey.

It worked pretty well for both Harry Potter AND LotR.
Play Frogatto & Friends - a finished, open-source adventure game!
Neoriceisgood
Art Developer

Post by Neoriceisgood »

Sure, make it grey if you want; I personaly like the idea of grey trolls, considering their skin is supposed to be tough like a rock; But the old ones were "green" (I don't care that they looked Cyan, they had an awfull unnatural colour) so I decided to keep it sort of like that;

question: wouldn't a grey troll blend in with castle etc?

question: As far as I know, making images more saturated draws attention to them, and in games sprites are made more saturated than the background to make them stand out more, why exactly should the troll be less saturated to make it stand out more?
freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Did a quick edit to see how grey trolls look like. I basicly want skin to not be very saturated regardless of unit type. It just shows more on the trolls since they use very little clothes/armor. I kept a slight green hint and made them quite dark.
Attachments
trolls2.png
trolls2.png (17.3 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
trolls.png
trolls.png (13.82 KiB) Viewed 4376 times
quartex
Inactive Developer

Post by quartex »

The grey looks good. How does that look on cave floors or other greyish terrain?