Team Color Tweaks

Production of artwork for the game by regular contributors takes place here.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Jetrel

Team Color Tweaks

Post by Jetrel »

I've been playing around with the WML definable team color settings (thanks guys!), and I've come up with several changes to the team colors that look considerably better than what is currently defined.

The first 7 entries look good, I think. I'm not sure what to do with the last two entries, though, which is why I'm posting this. Much of the improvement centers on not blowing out the existing color space - not setting values to 255, essentially. 100% saturation is often bad, for these - red is one of the few colors it doesn't look terrible on.

Right now, the list is:
Red - Blue - Green - Purple - Black - Brown - Orange - White - Cyan

freim
Retired Terrain Art Director

Post by freim »

Not bad. Some colors are a bit to similar, but thats the problem of the color set we use not with your team color changes.

I like the less saturated colors.

Btw, am I the only one seeing that the red color on the knight isn't covering all the pixels it should. There are several pixels that seems grey near the golden lining, which should be red. Edit: it's actually the same on all of them, but it shows much more on the red.
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

frame wrote:Btw, am I the only one seeing that the red color on the knight isn't covering all the pixels it should. There are several pixels that seems grey near the golden lining, which should be red. Edit: it's actually the same on all of them, but it shows much more on the red.
That's part-and-parcel of the fact that we never properly team-colored him. We've actually been just recoloring the purple section of his outfit, which unfortunately is not uniform, because when I drew that I hadn't anticipated the team color system.

Eleazar has done them best job that anyone can of team-coloring the guy without redrawing his graphics with magenta. We might do that down the road, although I think he looks more than "good enough" right now.

----

Of the obvious changes, I think I should brighten up the brown a bit. That should remove some of the ambiguity.
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

I'd like to see yellow back as a replacement for orange. Brown and orange are too close..
IIRC we got rid of yellow to accommodate a certain kind of color blindness, i think better accommodation would be a team-color CFG designed for each type of color blindness.

While i agree that the old colors were too saturated, i think we've swung the pendulum too far the other way. If we want TColor to work without the need of ellipses, i think many of these colors need more saturation.
I do like how black and white turned out in this example.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
-> What i might be working on
Attempting Lucidity
Woodwizzle

Post by Woodwizzle »

Brown and Orage are the only two that stand out as way too similar. Crank the saturation back up for just orange, or as Eleazar, suggests try yellow. I personally would rather be on an orange team than a yellow one though.
Signature dropped due to use of img tag
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

I like orange. :P I think that brown and orange are plenty distinct - none of them seem too similar, but for the most similar I'd nominate black and brown, actually.
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Re: Team Color Tweaks

Post by Sapient »

[quote="Jetryl"]
Right now, the list is:
Red - Blue - Green - Purple - Black - Brown - Orange - White - Cyan

I think on the first six colors, you nailed it. Looks great. However, I agree that the orange is very slightly too dark/unsaturated, and your white looks more like light gray.

Frankly, you did a great job with Cyan... it's one of those colors that's just going to look ugly no matter what you do with it. What ever happened to the rainbow team color? ;p

EP -- try turning up your contrast/brightness on your monitor.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Team Color Tweaks

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

Sapient wrote:EP -- try turning up your contrast/brightness on your monitor.
Who me? I'm the one who says that they're most differentiated!
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

I'm a little concerned about the differences between blue and purple in the darker shades - while the blue and purple knights can be distinguished, the blue and purple generals are much harder to tell apart. This may just be a generic problem with darker shades though.

That said - great work. The colours feel like a natural part of the units, rather than some "tacked on" team-colours.
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

please commit when you have a chance,
i still have the previously mentioned concerns, but i think this is a good point of departure.
Feel free to PM me if you start a new terrain oriented thread. It's easy for me to miss them among all the other art threads.
Attempting Lucidity
Jetrel

Post by Jetrel »

I've committed the following very minor tweak to this. These are not in game order, BTW, although that can easily be changed if we want black to be more accessible.

Colors like black and brown would serve as wonderful team coloration for campaign enemies consisting of the undead, or trolls, or bandits. We should work out a way for people to do that - I don't know if we could make maps with, say, only sides one and seven, but that might be an immediate solution if it's possible...

Also, it should be noted that this does introduce one wee problem with the map - some of the teams are hard to see against the terrain (green is a big one). Warcraft solved this same problem by allowing one to turn off the display of the terrain on the map, as well as offering some other options. It might not be a bad idea to take a page out of their playbook, here.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Jetryl wrote:Colors like black and brown would serve as wonderful team coloration for campaign enemies consisting of the undead, or trolls, or bandits. We should work out a way for people to do that - I don't know if we could make maps with, say, only sides one and seven, but that might be an immediate solution if it's possible...
This has been sort of possible for...well, as long as I remember. Meaning that you can define a side to be one of the default team colours (red, blue, green, etc). I've always wondered why it's hardly used at all in campaigns.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

zookeeper wrote:
Jetryl wrote:Colors like black and brown would serve as wonderful team coloration for campaign enemies consisting of the undead, or trolls, or bandits. We should work out a way for people to do that - I don't know if we could make maps with, say, only sides one and seven, but that might be an immediate solution if it's possible...
This has been sort of possible for...well, as long as I remember. Meaning that you can define a side to be one of the default team colours (red, blue, green, etc). I've always wondered why it's hardly used at all in campaigns.
I wonder more why, when it is used, it is always used to make two sides appear to be one side (for example, by setting the color of side 3 to side 2's), instead of to control the color of a side.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
Eleazar

Post by Eleazar »

When 1.111 came out i played a few levels of HttT. It was nice to see additional animations, better sound effects, and more TColored units.

However, not all the team colors were very distinct, especially on units that don't show very much TColor, (like the Anchient Litch in my example).
Brown is really another name for desaturated Orange, so i brought yellow back instead.

Sure my colors are more saturated, but that's inherently required for indentifier colors. You don't find national flags, or sports team uniforms mostly using desaturated, neutral colors. It just doesn't work.

This ideasolves the problem of what to call the colors.
Attachments
Left: current colors.  Right: New colors.
Left: current colors. Right: New colors.
Tcolor.jpg (427.26 KiB) Viewed 5515 times
team-colors.cfg
(2.97 KiB) Downloaded 433 times
Attempting Lucidity
wayfarer
Art Contributor

Post by wayfarer »

Well their are still the ellipses but if this colores would get used it would destroy the whole purpose of T-Coloring. It should add an eye candy in that case it destroys it. Come on I mean this bright colors....